• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    PaulG
    Newest Member
    PaulG
Minnesota_storms

January 24 - 31 Cold Blast

-24/-52 at Peru. We might make a run to at least tie our all-time record low of -26 if we can drop 2 more degrees before the low occurs in 90 minutes or so.  Will almost certainly do so tomorrow night.

I knew it was coming, I just don't know I ever fully expected it to live up to the forecast. This is gonna be one to remember.

34 minutes ago, Baum said:

Interesting tid bit here. Aurora which is normally 4-5 degrees colder than ORD at -23 at 6am while ORD is -22. Odd.

This is advection cold, not radiational cold. Thus, the cold is about the same everywhere.

Tonight will be radiational cold.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

This is advection cold, not radiational cold. Thus, the cold is about the same everywhere.

Tonight will be radiational cold.

Thanks. Learn something everyday.

down to -26 here.  Unfortunately the record low of -37 for today is unreachable but we will easily break the record low max of -1.

• Thanks 1

4th coldest temperature on record for Chicago.

-27˚ on 1/20/1985

-26˚ on 1/10/1982

-25˚ on 1/16/1982 and 12/24/1983

-24˚ on 1/30/2019

• Like 1

Haven't gone out yet but will soon to try and start the car. Attempted to make the infamous instant snow video from the balcony. It kinda worked but would've worked better if I stepped out in the open. Shot at -22F WC of -50F.

Hope everyone that has to be out in the elements stays safe through tomorrow!

https://youtu.be/9cgTv1nf5Ac

A balmy 2 above down here.  However, we did have our first ever Snow Squall Warning, which most definitely delivered...less than an 1/8 mi. visibility for at least 5 minutes. 

• Like 1

Only managed -22/-48 in Ames. I feel a little left out not getting to -50. 

Euro was a few degrees too cold here overnight, wonder how it will handle the radiational cooling overnight tonight with its current forecast of -27. 

Well, survived the first leg of this arctic blast. At 2:45 AM my car sputtered, whined and groaned but did eventually start. The belt screamed like a banshee for about 30 seconds and then went quiet (it always squeaks at least a little on startup any time it's below about 40 degrees, my previous car did that too).

Now we'll see if I can get home today and then back in tomorrow morning. Not going outside for any other reason until at least noon tomorrow (it'll still suck then, but will no longer be at such dangerous wind chill extremes).

8 minutes ago, wxman_ind said:

Indy tied the record low for today of -11

Quite the drop of dewpoint, 14 degrees; and temperature, 7 degrees; since 6 this morning.

Already up to -26F under brilliant sunshine. Record low max is -19 so we probably won’t break that. Went for a short walk, I live near a large park and lake so usually scores of people are out and about. I’ve never seen it so dead before, oh and my salty tears froze to my eyelashes. 

Chicago will destroy 3 of these 4 daily records, and may break the 4th one:

Jan 30:  low -15 (1966); low max 3 (2004)

Jan 31:  low -12 (1985); low max 1 (1971) 

It also looks like today will be the 2nd coldest daily mean temp in Chicago history:

12/24/1983:  -18 (-11/-25)

1/30/2019:  -16.5 (-10/-23)

1/18/1994:  -16 (-11/-21)

Edited to correct today's low at ORD, to -23.

5 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Chicago will destroy 3 of these 4 daily records, and may break the 4th one:

Jan 30:  low -15 (1966); low max 3 (2004)

Jan 31:  low -12 (1985); low max 1 (1971) 

It also looks like today will be the 2nd coldest daily mean temp in Chicago history:

12/24/1983:  -18 (-11/-25)

1/30/2019:  -17 (-10/-24)

1/18/1994:  -16 (-11/-21)

Impressive. 

My work came to their senses and cancelled delivery today. I am thrilled. :D

As for tomorrow morning, number to shoot for at IKK is -29˚....the all time coldest "officially" recorded here (back in Jan 1985). 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

Impressive. 

My work came to their senses and cancelled delivery today. I am thrilled. :D

As for tomorrow morning, number to shoot for at IKK is -29˚....the all time coldest "officially" recorded here (back in Jan 1985). 

Great to hear!  This is really an impressive airmass, something I honesty never thought I would see in this area.

ORD is still -21 at 10 AM central. RFD -22, De Kalb -23.

We dialed into the ASOS and ORD officially got down to -23 this AM. The -24 was due to a rounding issue on the 5 minute obs site.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

We dialed into the ASOS and ORD officially got down to -23 this AM. The -24 was due to a rounding issue on the 5 minute obs site.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the clarification! 

Still very impressive; today will go down as the 2nd coldest day in Chicago history (-16.5 daily mean temp).

• Like 1