Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Memory Lane

Rjay

29 minutes ago, hooralph said:

It may have stuck more in my mind as we were coming off several pretty bleak winters and it was my first chance for a big storm in 5 years (I moved back to Boston in April 97 two weeks after the blizzard).

Walt, your AFD's were always a riveting reading! I always learned a lot and your passion always came through. In the days long before most pro mets would dare to tread in the waters of these boards, your AFD's felt like they were written for us weenies! As the March 2001 storm approached I was emailed you directly in my delirium to ask questions and couldn't believe you took the time to respond.

Thanks... March 2001 was not a highlight of my career.  We lucked out in EMA/RI but definitely missed the front end.  I think it was that storm botch from PHI newd, that helped accelerate the change to a collaborative effort with WPC and soon the implementation of ENSEMBLES, to ballpark our forecasts and limit the extreme solutions.  I definitely think that has helped me, and possibly many others, be more realistic about the forecast-a benefit for the users of weather info. Thanks again!

• Like 2

nothing beats 1961 for sustained cold and snow cover for this time of year...Staten Island had 15 straight days with a minimum of 10 degrees or lower ending on Feb. 4th...on 1/24/61 for a second straight day it snowed a half inch or so adding to the foot that was on the ground...39.5" of snow fell on Staten Island from 1/15 to 2/4...27" snow depth on 2/4/61...Elizabeth NJ had almost 40" of snow with 15 straight days below ten degrees and numerous days below zero...it was -10 on a few mornings with a foot of snow on the ground...Dobbs Ferry NY got 54" of snow from 1/15-2/4...33" snow depth on 2/4...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, uncle W said:

nothing beats 1961 for sustained cold and snow cover for this time of year...Staten Island had 15 straight days with a minimum of 10 degrees or lower ending on Feb. 4th...on 1/24/61 for a second straight day it snowed a half inch or so adding to the foot that was on the ground...39.5" of snow fell on Staten Island from 1/15 to 2/4...27" snow depth on 2/4/61...Elizabeth NJ had almost 40" of snow with 15 straight days below ten degrees and numerous days below zero...it was -10 on a few mornings with a foot of snow on the ground...Dobbs Ferry NY got 54" of snow from 1/15-2/4...33" snow depth on 2/4...

I was across the Atlantic that one winter, and boy was I jealous to hear about all that good stuff happening.  Snow, of course, but even the cold made me jealous.  Of course, at 84, I'll take the snow now, but with less cold, thanks.  Thanks, Uncle.:snowing:

• Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 8:10 PM, forkyfork said:

forgot to post about the jan 2004 super clipper. i liked that month more than feb 2015

http://www.raymondcmartinjr.com/weather/2004/15-Jan-04.html

what makes a storm a super clipper? and I remember that storm and season well, we had pink sunrise snow falling in the morning, heavy snow as the sun came up!  and a few years later in February 2010 I saw pink sunset snow!

• Weenie 1

On 1/24/2021 at 10:01 PM, uncle W said:

wow even better than 10-11!

• Weenie 1

19 minutes ago, Rjay said:

Top 5 favorite of mine

remember the beginning of the second part of that storm?  thundersleet and there was even a tornado reported over the ocean just south of the south shore of Nassau County!

imagine what it would have looked like if that second part occurred during the day!

• Like 2

Sorry we missed the 10th anniversary.  1/26/2011. 

This is the morning after, in West Windsor, near Princeton NJ.  

From my deck.  I love storms of this type, with a bit of wet sleet or drizzle before the finale, followed by wind, thunder and heavy snow.

Too bad it happened mostly after dark.  My favorite since 2003.784789461_jan272011.thumb.jpg.150d19cc88b08ac7a47943f78047952c.jpg

• Like 3

On 1/13/2021 at 7:46 AM, hooralph said:

Also late to the party re: 12/30/00, but I suspect that one inflicted some trauma on @wdrag. That remains the greatest bust of my lifetime in Boston metro. If I recall, NWS had to walk back the WSW from 8-14" (may have been 10-16") down to 4-8... 3-6... and in the city we wound up with - I swear - wet pavement. Nada after an hour of wet snow it both changed over and we got dry slotted. Incredible. Outside of 128 I think it was a 10" storm, but inside it was a total bust and the gradient reached 0 in the city.

Its pretty amazing how Miller B type storms even into the early 2000s busted severely at times.  I feel as if every busted forecast we had from the middle 80s to the early 2000s was some degree of a Miller B or those diving vorts out of Canada that the models always tried to blow a low up off the Delmarva or NJ and nothing ever happened.  I must have been involved in forecasting every one of them or my memory is very good.  These are several I clearly remember.  In each case you can see the similarity and models in each one developed the low too far south or overdug the vorts.  In some cases they were off 100 miles or more at 24 hours.  Yeah, 1992 was a bad year.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/fxg1/NARR/1992/us0116.php

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/fxg1/NARR/1992/us0228.php

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/fxg1/NARR/1992/us1205.php

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/fxg1/NARR/1997/us0217.php

• Like 1

On 1/30/2021 at 1:47 AM, Rjay said:

2nd post in this thread too.  Shame we missed the 10 year anniversary.

This is also one of my favorite storms down in Philly. Waa snows overachieved and surprised in the first part and while the gap kind of sucked the main show was incredible with white out conditions for a few hours.

Syosset, NY, February 4, 1961

Some of you long timers may have seen the first photo years ago at an EUSWx conference when Paul Kocin used it in a slide show.  I was in the audience and not expecting it.  That's my mother and cousin.  I missed that one ;) , glad dad took some photos.

(morehttp://www.northshorewx.com/19610204.html 

Syosset-February1961-2.jpg

Syosset-February1961-3.jpg
more: http://www.northshorewx.com/19610204.html

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, uncle W said:

today in 1961 NYC got 17-24" of snow similar to what we just got but it fell on top of 8-10" of snow and over two weeks of below freezing max's...there was 28" of snow on the ground in Brooklyn...

IPS-4C1519D8-CC17-40D6-9B2F-7203134E93AD.pdf (noaa.gov)

record number of consecutive highs in the 20s  too

19 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Syosset, NY, February 4, 1961

Some of you long timers may have seen the first photo years ago at an EUSWx conference when Paul Kocin used it in a slide show.  I was in the audience and not expecting it.  That's my mother and cousin.  I missed that one ;) , glad dad took some photos.

(morehttp://www.northshorewx.com/19610204.html 

Syosset-February1961-2.jpg

Syosset-February1961-3.jpg
more: http://www.northshorewx.com/19610204.html

you missed it?!  looks like really high drifts over there, how much do you think fell there in this storm?  JFK 25" even though it mixed with rain and sleet

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

you missed it?!  looks like really high drifts over there, how much do you think fell there in this storm?  JFK 25" even though it mixed with rain and sleet

A little too young.

I never heard any mention of sleet in Syosset.  It doesn't mean it didn't happen.  Having grown up in that house, I'd estimate the snow depth could easily be 30".  That drift in front of the bay window was about 6 feet.

• Like 1