Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

nj2va

18 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Gfs washed out the wrench shortwave that the euro has near the lakes and this vort panel is decent. 

gfs_z500_vort_us_29.png

Bridge that gap between NS and STJ and maybe just maybe. Oh and yeah replace that LP that was muckin up the NS with an H. 

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Fv3 has nothing next weekend but a monster d12+

gfs_namer_288_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

Bob, I hope you are coming over to the force and not the dark side any longer. 

I will miss when you tormented the frail weenies on the edge of despair.   

I hope we get realy busy tracking soon. Everything falling into place. 

1 minute ago, frd said:

Bob, I hope you are coming over to the force and not the dark side any longer. 

I will miss when you tormented the frail weenies on the edge of despair.   

I hope we get realy busy tracking soon. Everything falling into place. 

I'm in a better mood now that there's something worth tracking but I won't have any confidence in this winter producing until it produces something. 

Guidance is hinting that after next weekend it might suck for a few days or a week before a meaningful change really asserts itself. Makes sense. Step downs are typical when the hemispheric pattern is undergoing sig changes. The pac jet wont go away easily. 

• Like 1

From Don S.  I like the research he did on precip,  and makes me feel better we will not just have cold but oppurtunities for snowfall as well. Granted he is talking NY City or nearby , but it still gives me more confidence that an active weather pattern continues this Jan to March . 

From Don S. over at 33andrain: 

<<<

Finally, New York City's precipitation to date has surpassed 0.50" with today's rainfall with cities such as Allentown, Newark, Philadelphia, and Poughkeepsie having even higher precipitation to date. The January-March period could be wetter than normal. Since 1972, there were 7 prior cases to 2018 where New York City picked up 60" or more precipitation (none prior to 1972): 1972, 1975, 1983, 1989, 1990, 2007, and 2011. Five (71%) of those cases had above normal precipitation in the following January-March period. Only one saw much below normal precipitation during that period. In short, the turn to cold that appears increasingly likely after mid-month will likely be accompanied by opportunities for snowfall.

>>>

19 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm in a better mood now that there's something worth tracking but I won't have any confidence in this winter producing until it produces something. 

Guidance is hinting that after next weekend it might suck for a few days or a week before a meaningful change really asserts itself. Makes sense. Step downs are typical when the hemispheric pattern is undergoing sig changes. The pac jet wont go away easily. 

January 20

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Ji said:
1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:
Let me know when I'm being fringed on consecutive runs and then we know it's getting serious. 

Its 90% rain

tbh it makes no sense for it to be rain, especially with the 850mb temps being well below freezing in mid-January, and a 975 low off the coast.

Serious question...do we ever want to see a huge negative departure on the ensembles over us at LR?  That far into the future, wouldn’t that signal very anamolous cold which likely wouldn’t be stormy?  

I also find the temperature anamoly maps in the LR to not be a good indicator of what to expect....H5 is a better predictor I think but curious what PSU and others think.  

4 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Serious question...do we ever want to see a huge negative departure on the ensembles over us at LR?  That far into the future, wouldn’t that signal very anamolous cold which likely wouldn’t be stormy?  

I also find the temperature anamoly maps in the LR to not be a good indicator of what to expect....H5 is a better predictor I think but curious what PSU and others think.  

I agree with that but that shows a decent positive departure.  Not sure we want that either.  Need Goldilocks look. Maybe just average to slightly below.  Just my guess

4 minutes ago, nj2va said:

No, we don't want the core of the cold overhead. Best place is in between. I like looking at the mslp panels and seeing hp sprawled to the north. Living on edge is how most of our events work. 

39 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

It would really suck to have an ideal pattern and still be above normal temps..that might be enough to just make us shut the blinds.  

He used the 318 temps panel to refute my 384 h5. Lol. We're just messing around so...

but yea it's likely that after our first foray into chilly air next week we have to endure a 3-4 day period of more puke airmass before the cold loads up enough to press and engulf the eastern US. By day 16 the cold is starting to make progress but around day 13 when he posted its in the middle of the puke. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic