Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

23 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Seems like every year they get more steroids pumped in them than Canseco.

Harks back to how Mets couldn't believe Feb 13 clowns and just wouldn't pull the trigger at all. Not saying this will work out but as much precip this year [ water year] has featured, it wouldn't surprise me if 2 inch qpf overrunning an Arctic airmass occurs.  Biggest complaint I have with Mets is their hesitation to go historical close in. Worst examples were Hurricane Harvey and Feb 13.  There needs to be some wholesale retuning of Meteorology in this new climate.  Believe me I get it and this far out its foolish but watch the forecasts if this ever came to fruition 

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Harks back to how Mets couldn't believe Feb 13 clowns and just wouldn't pull the trigger at all. Not saying this will work out but as much precip this year [ water year] has featured, it wouldn't surprise me if 2 inch qpf overrunning an Arctic airmass occurs.  Biggest complaint I have with Mets is their hesitation to go historical close in. Worst examples were Hurricane Harvey and Feb 13.  There needs to be some wholesale retuning of Meteorology in this new climate.  Believe me I get it and this far out its foolish but watch the forecasts if this ever came to fruition 

Yea I remember last minute downplaying of feb 13 by some on air Mets around mid day the day of..... we know how that turned out later that night 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I was in college in 78,  University of Maryland.  The storm hit Boston on a Monday I believe.  On the Friday before I toured the National Weather Service down in DC.  The Met's were looking at the (LFM?) and really honking at a possible historic storm.  I can also remember sitting in my dorm room listening to the statiky WBZ and wishing so bad I was up in New England instead of Maryland....

I was in a Met class at Uri and my professor  Dr Haven the state climatologist was all over it very early 

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Shitbag in chief already tweeted about how nice the snow looks in DC. :lol: 

it's chapter 23 in my novel, catch-22 ... ' too big to succeed '

the gist being, even at 10 percent shitballs for brains, that still represents a sufficiently large mass that even if 90% corrective responsible practices take over... humanity still removes its self from planetary evolution by weight of the 10%'s detriment

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

I so remember Ray and Kevin honking 30 inch amounts the day before Feb 13 and the usual Met clowns here saying impossible then it happened again in 15. I think conservative is a great way to forecast but sometimes you have to think out of that box you were brought up with, just saying 

Yea, you won't here me honking like that unless its pretty striking.

I think I went there last March, too.

40 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

First wave looks too weak to be main deal. Second shortwave is much stronger. There's also enough spacing between them that it's believable...like a good 48-60 hours. 

Its totally believable that the second misses though. But I think it would have more to do with the PV than the first shortwave. 

At this range I feel the bigger concern is suppression.  I would rather see this more amped than currently modeled at this range

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, you won't here me honking like that unless its pretty striking.

I think I went there last March, too.

Yep I have had some great texts with a Houston area met who went big in the face of a lot of resistance from his peers. His actions surely saved lifes. If the Euro and EPS are consistently showing it why would you doubt it,makes no sense

Looks like the defining difference between the 12z and 18z cycles among these American guidance' ...is the Friday S/W is subtly stronger in the mid-levels... with more backside NVA implied helping to build/extend polar high pressure arm down into NYS-MA/VT/NH ...  That creates a better boundary layer resistance for the fast flow open wave to be forced S. 

Not sure it's right ... but that's what seems to be happening in these runs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Looks like the defining difference between the 12z and 18z cycles among these American guidance' ...is the Friday S/W is subtly stronger in the mid-levels... with more backside NVA implied helping to build/extend polar high pressure arm down into NYS-MA/VT/NH ...  That creates a better boundary layer resistance for the fast flow open wave to be forced S. 

Not sure it's right ... but that's what seems to be happening in these runs.

Nailed it, low level cold air is heavy and tough to resist as well. Now its a matter of Upper level energy coalescing 

22 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yep I have had some great texts with a Houston area met who went big in the face of a lot of resistance from his peers. His actions surely saved lifes. If the Euro and EPS are consistently showing it why would you doubt it,makes no sense

I was calling for a major hurricane strike from the moment Harvey was named.

Kind of screwed the pooch on Michael, though...expected like cat 3 at LF.

29 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I so remember Ray and Kevin honking 30 inch amounts the day before Feb 13 and the usual Met clowns here saying impossible then it happened again in 15. I think conservative is a great way to forecast but sometimes you have to think out of that box you were brought up in, just saying 

I recall that vividly. I posted it.. of course got accused of hype by Will .. etc..and Ray agreed with me 

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic