Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2018-19

pasnownut

Just now, CarlislePaWx said:

Ditto.  Biggest example of that was an incredible ice storm in January of 1994...about 10 days before the all-time record cold that hit these parts.  I was in northern NJ for it but I experienced the same thing.  Heavy freezing rain with a temperature of 16 degrees F!  My friend who lived up in the extreme NW corner of NJ (High Point) had freezing rain and a temp of +4 F !!!  Truly unbelievable, but for real.

That's the storm I was referring to. When the record cold hit roads around my area were like driving on a washboard for 2 weeks. 

1 minute ago, pawatch said:

2.5" of moisture at what ratio will be another question

agreed.  10:1 may be tough as thermals are tricky south of I80, but our northern crew should be salivating at this run.  Im holding hope as weve seen a southerly progression as we approach game time (so far this season), so I'm wondering if that is a new tendency to factor in.  I sure hope so anyway (verbatim)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

That's the storm I was referring to. When the record cold hit roads around my area were like driving on a washboard for 2 weeks. 

The ice was everywhere and there was a TON of it.  All the sidewalks solid ice.  You couldn't walk on anything.  On all the trees.  Lots of damaged trees from such weight.  Easily the worst ice storm of my lifetime.

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I agree with you on this and mentioned this last year...I'd almost prefer 1' of snow with a layer of ice than 18" of all snow. Staying power! 

can i get an 

A-MEN!!

btw, due to the average age of the board......you may not want to reference it as "staying power"

5 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

It helps when you're retired and have nothing else to do but sit with the laptop on your lap and drink coffee.:)

I work in the car business. (Sales) This tells you guys two things about myself. I have a lot of free time on my hands, while I "work" and I love snow. I say this because...when it snows, I have to help clear 100's of cars of it! Not fun, but I still root for every flake of snow, every time!!

1 minute ago, daxx said:

Options: Comparison: Turn ON - Archives: Turn ON ] Fr En

System  CMC-GDPS CMC-RDPS NCEP-GFS NCEP-NAM UKMET-G ECMWF-HRES DWD-ICON JMA-GSM  
Run Mon 14 Jan 12Z Mon 14 Jan 00Z 
Map  Classic Precipitation 2m T 10m Wind 850-hPa T 500-hPa Vorticity 250-hPa Wind  
GZ_D5_PN_144_0000.gif

Ukie on Sunday morning

Well that is not good for snow.  That high is much too far west as has been stated. 

Now that I've had a chance to look at the ICON...which only goes out to 180 every 12 hours and to 120 the off hours...when comparing last night's 0Z run to this morning's 12Z there was a substantial improvement in the amount of frozen precip from the storm.  Last night gave a few inches followed by a fair amount of rain then ending as minor snow.  This morning it goes into snow and snows gangbusters for a decent chunk of the storm.  It does go over to either rain or freezing rain for a while as the storm makes its closest approach, then ends as minor snow.  Very nice run to see and to add to watching throughout this week.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, daxx said:

Options: Comparison: Turn ON - Archives: Turn ON ] Fr En

System  CMC-GDPS CMC-RDPS NCEP-GFS NCEP-NAM UKMET-G ECMWF-HRES DWD-ICON JMA-GSM  
Run Mon 14 Jan 12Z Mon 14 Jan 00Z 
Map  Classic Precipitation 2m T 10m Wind 850-hPa T 500-hPa Vorticity 250-hPa Wind  
GZ_D5_PN_144_0000.gif

Ukie on Sunday morning

Let's nudge the High a bit east. 

1 hour ago, pasnownut said:

Friday sets the weekend table for us, so hope that one stays under.  We need that boundary south.

Very true Nut, may I call you Nut? haha. Everyone should look through the models. CMC cuts the Thur/Fri system way north= we get a crap weekend storm. GFS has the Thur/Fri system running through southern pa=mixed bag south/northern guys do well still. ICON has the Thur/Fri system running below the maxon dixon=good weekend snow results. Our fate will be decided with the Thur/Fri system. 

15 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Now that I've had a chance to look at the ICON...which only goes out to 180 every 12 hours and to 120 the off hours...when comparing last night's 0Z run to this morning's 12Z there was a substantial improvement in the amount of frozen precip from the storm.  Last night gave a few inches followed by a fair amount of rain then ending as minor snow.  This morning it goes into snow and snows gangbusters for a decent chunk of the storm.  It does go over to either rain or freezing rain for a while as the storm makes its closest approach, then ends as minor snow.  Very nice run to see and to add to watching throughout this week.

Yes I saw that. Friday’s system doubled snow amounts. It’s far from a wrap but not a disaster. We are close and need a south trend like we’ve seen so far this year. 

33 minutes ago, JTrout said:

Very true Nut, may I call you Nut? haha. Everyone should look through the models. CMC cuts the Thur/Fri system way north= we get a crap weekend storm. GFS has the Thur/Fri system running through southern pa=mixed bag south/northern guys do well still. ICON has the Thur/Fri system running below the maxon dixon=good weekend snow results. Our fate will be decided with the Thur/Fri system. 

Lol. Of course you can call me Nut. Everyone else does

• Confused 1