Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2018-19

pasnownut

Just now, canderson said:

Is the ICON a new map? I never remember it getting talked about prior to this year. Is it worthy to look at closely or is like the SREFs and NAM and etc? 

Personally I felt like it had a more smooth transition to a snowier solution, for this previous weekend system, than some of the more traditional models such as UK and GFS which I believe jumped around a bit more.  I am surprised at all the NAM hate I keep reading about (mostly in the MA forum).  No doubt it is a shorter range model but I lurked some over the last few years and although they all miss some times, the NAM seems quite good at catching late trends in storms within 48 hours. 

Just now, CarlislePaWx said:

Cool.  Thanks guys.  What are your opinions on this model overall versus Euro and GFS?

I look at it more for consensus.  It did alright w/ a few events last year.  I dont really follow skill scores, but you can find them.

here is a link for verification scores for the bigguns, but ICON not inclusive...yet

https://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/model2.shtml

Just now, bubbler86 said:

Personally I felt like it had a more smooth transition to a snowier solution, for this previous weekend system, than some of the more traditional models such as UK and GFS which I believe jumped around a bit more.  I am surprised at all the NAM hate I keep reading about (mostly in the MA forum).  No doubt it is a shorter range model but I lurked some over the last few years and although they all miss some times, the NAM seems quite good at catching late trends in storms within 48 hours. 

NAM nailed the Blizz in '16...and I mean nailed it.  From extrapolation range, to gametime.  I like you think it is an underrated model

10 minutes ago, pawatch said:

Add 10 years to that 53.

Look at the temps and to think we could get freezing rain.

image.jpg

Well...it is nice to see I am younger than some in this forum...lol!

Regarding that map, that's yesterday's 12Z.  Do we have the overnight 0Z map?  The one that supposedly gives us rain and 50?  I don't believe that scenario for one minute, btw.

Interesting discussion on our next two storms I was reading this morning. Both systems are singular systems. No phasing or anything needed. This at least increases the likelihood of a "hit" just a matter of precip types based on the ultimate storm locations. Basically we should watch where storm one(thur/fri) goes, as a tracer for the "big one" storm two. A clipper followed by a potentially large storm riding a gradient along the east coast. Good set up for potentially high precip values. Thurs night isn't too far away. So if the discussion of the clipper track is correct, we should have a little more confidence on how central pa is going to make out with confidence on friday morning. I am hoping for a stronger/south of the mason dixon line storm for thurs night. As I have also been told a stronger storm one will lower heights out of Canada and increase our big snowstorm potential for the weekend. Keep the weekend storm from cutting west or through us. Thoughts? We usually don't have a tracer system before a good looking storm. Again, thoughts, opinions, does that seem right? 

Also, this "clipper" everyone is talking about, doesn't look like a traditional clipper for Thur/Fri? 

2 minutes ago, JTrout said:

Interesting discussion on our next two storms I was reading this morning. Both systems are singular systems. No phasing or anything needed. This at least increases the likelihood of a "hit" just a matter of precip types based on the ultimate storm locations. Basically we should watch where storm one(thur/fri) goes, as a tracer for the "big one" storm two. A clipper followed by a potentially large storm riding a gradient along the east coast. Good set up for potentially high precip values. Thurs night isn't too far away. So if the discussion of the clipper track is correct, we should have a little more confidence on how central pa is going to make out with confidence on friday morning. I am hoping for a stronger/south of the mason dixon line storm for thurs night. As I have also been told a stronger storm one will lower heights out of Canada and increase our big snowstorm potential for the weekend. Keep the weekend storm from cutting west or through us. Thoughts? We usually don't have a tracer system before a good looking storm. Again, thoughts, opinions, does that seem right? 

Also, this "clipper" everyone is talking about, doesn't look like a traditional clipper for Thur/Fri? 

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.  Storm #1 sets up boundary for storm #2.  We want #1 south of us as when #2 digs (bigger system), we want better antecedent cold for #2 to run into.  

I posted earlier here that #1 is more of a shortwave running a boundary, so to your point, its a cleaner, less tricky evolution.  Follow the boundary and find the storm.  

13 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

As Nut said the NAM was really good in the 1/16 storm, and I think (unscientifically) that it does very well in general with large winter east coast storms. 

4 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Don't look at the GFS. 

Not sure I agree.  

#1 track is slightly N of 6z, but lays down 2-4 even w/ mixing

#2 same deal, but that is a CTP crushjob, while I get ice ice baby in a bookend event snowwise.

Op runs at distance....not fretting yet.

3 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

Welcome aboard Josh, welcome to the nut house....................Bunch of damn old guys in here..

Nut, a lot of our past good storms have had some other form of precip for a brief period. I'll glad take a couple drops of rain, a lil sleet etc if afterwards i get 2' of white gold. 

ABSOLUTELY!! 

Down here, its part of the deal.  JB said many moons ago, "you gotta smell the rain for the best snows".  Very true...like him or not.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.  Storm #1 sets up boundary for storm #2.  We want #1 south of us as when #2 digs (bigger system), we want better antecedent cold for #2 to run into.  

I posted earlier here that #1 is more of a shortwave running a boundary, so to your point, its a cleaner, less tricky evolution.  Follow the boundary and find the storm.  

I am a positive person, so at this point, because we are still 5/6 days out for the weekend storm. Some simplicity is kind of refreshing compared to what we have been dealing with. Also, if the Thurs/Fri system doesn't pan out too well, us southern folks shouldn't get tooooo excited for the weekend system. Or be prepared for a mixed bag of precip. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JTrout said:

I am a positive person, so at this point, because we are still 5/6 days out for the weekend storm. Some simplicity is kind of refreshing compared to what we have been dealing with. Also, if the Thurs/Fri system doesn't pan out too well, us southern folks shouldn't get tooooo excited for the weekend system. Or be prepared for a mixed bag of precip. 

Your gonna be just fine in "our" group. 

Good way to look at it.

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

I've had freezing rain with temps in the mid teens. If it's heavy it might pond on roadways on impact but trust me...it can get seriously nasty. 

I concur with this. I do not remember the exact date but there was a storm in the 1980's where it rained a good 1/2" an hour with it in the teens.  It would devastate trees and power.

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

I've had freezing rain with temps in the mid teens. If it's heavy it might pond on roadways on impact but trust me...it can get seriously nasty. 

Ditto.  Biggest example of that was an incredible ice storm in January of 1994...about 10 days before the all-time record cold that hit these parts.  I was in northern NJ for it but I experienced the same thing.  Heavy freezing rain with a temperature of 16 degrees F!  My friend who lived up in the extreme NW corner of NJ (High Point) had freezing rain and a temp of +4 F !!!  Truly unbelievable, but for real.

3 minutes ago, canderson said:

I'd think the intensity would overcounter any ZR right? Isn't ZR with heavy rain rates basically impossible?

Not at all.  You need to look at themals in mid/lower layers (see post above).  They tell you what kind of precip may occur.  For 12z GFS mid and lower levels suffiecienty cold enough with exception to the LSV as we lose them for a bit. 

Think of it this way, precip will fall no matter the thermals, its just what if falls into.