• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2018-19

pasnownut

David Tolleris is an even more comedic aspect to the weather enthusiast community than drunk me is. If you were to place anger, book smarts, and dyslexia and put them into a blender, the result would be a puree of David Tolleris. 

And you can get that nonsense at Starbucks for $9.75 for a Grande. Believe me, you don't *want*, you *need* the Grande. Or the Big Dog, as he calls it.

10 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

David Tolleris is an even more comedic aspect to the weather enthusiast community than drunk me is. If you were to place anger, book smarts, and dyslexia and put them into a blender, the result would be a puree of David Tolleris. 

And you can get that nonsense at Starbucks for $9.75 for a Grande. Believe me, you don't *want*, you *need* the Grande. Or the Big Dog, as he calls it.

The ironic thing is that people want him to put their towns in his big snow zones.  As bad as his temper is people love his forecasting. That dude called me at my house one time back in the 90's.  

2 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

The ironic thing is that people want him to put their towns in his big snow zones.  As bad as his temper is people love his forecasting. That dude called me at my house one time back in the 90's.  

I love DT. I laugh like hell when he starts going off on people. 

16 minutes ago, Voyager said:

What's with the "hole" over the Poconos? I've seen that a few times on various models this week.

i've seen the reality of this before, and the models may now be picking this up in the highest resolutions. when you're talking elevations in northeast PA, you have the cities at the valley floor of the Susquehanna at ~ 450ft MSL (~145m), which translates to ~14hPa from Sea Level Pressure using normal assumptions. but when we talk most of the towns in the Poconos, we're talking most crevices at ~1300-1400ft msl (400-430m) which translates to ~40-43hPa, with the mountain tops between 1900-2300ft msl (580-700m), which can be ~58-70hPa. if you look at most sounding profiles carefully in an over-running situation like we are looking at and then look at the real temperatures, you'll actually be warmer say in Hazleton or Mount Pocono than you would at Avoca or Wilkes Barre because the warm layer aloft in that small distance doesn't change height much, but the column in which the air can cool back down is a lot shallower at ~925 or 935 hPa in Hazleton or Tobyhanna than it would be going all the way down to ~980-990 hPa in downtown Wilkes Barre, Pittston, or Mocanaqua. As a result, you'll more likely see sleet in the valley near US 11 but head up the mountain on PA 93, I-81, PA 115, PA 309, or I-380; and you're more likely to see it be freezing rain in say Hazleton, Mount Pocono, Bear Creek near the Turnpike, or Tobyhanna because the melted water is cool enough to be super-cooled but not enough to turn all the way to sleet/ice pellets (just a few J short).

So the models, when displaying snow/sleet accumulations, might be picking up on that fact and adjusting amounts accordingly.

Just now, CarlislePaWx said:

Are you referring to the batch on radar out in western pa right now?  Was tonight's event supposed to be broken up into 2 pieces?  Sounds like that's what you were/are expecting.

Is is supposed to work its way here and actually develop a little to cover most of the southern half of the state.

Just now, CarlislePaWx said:

Are you referring to the batch on radar out in western pa right now?  Was tonight's event supposed to be broken up into 2 pieces?  Sounds like that's what you were/are expecting.

Exactly.   CTP mentions this as well.   Hrrr showing a 2-3 hr break then a steady snow picking up for a few hours 

11 minutes ago, Jim Marusak said:

i've seen the reality of this before, and the models may now be picking this up in the highest resolutions. when you're talking elevations in northeast PA, you have the cities at the valley floor of the Susquehanna at ~ 450ft MSL (~145m), which translates to ~14hPa from Sea Level Pressure using normal assumptions. but when we talk most of the towns in the Poconos, we're talking most crevices at ~1300-1400ft msl (400-430m) which translates to ~40-43hPa, with the mountain tops between 1900-2300ft msl (580-700m), which can be ~58-70hPa. if you look at most sounding profiles carefully in an over-running situation like we are looking at and then look at the real temperatures, you'll actually be warmer say in Hazleton or Mount Pocono than you would at Avoca or Wilkes Barre because the warm layer aloft in that small distance doesn't change height much, but the column in which the air can cool back down is a lot shallower at ~925 or 935 hPa in Hazleton or Tobyhanna than it would be going all the way down to ~980-990 hPa in downtown Wilkes Barre, Pittston, or Mocanaqua. As a result, you'll more likely see sleet in the valley near US 11 but head up the mountain on PA 93, I-81, PA 115, PA 309, or I-380; and you're more likely to see it be freezing rain in say Hazleton, Mount Pocono, Bear Creek near the Turnpike, or Tobyhanna because the melted water is cool enough to be super-cooled but not enough to turn all the way to sleet/ice pellets (just a few J short).

So the models, when displaying snow/sleet accumulations, might be picking up on that fact and adjusting amounts accordingly.

Thanks Jim. I was wondering if the elevations we're high enough for such a situation. I know that at times the cold air drains into the valleys such that Hazleton can be as much as 10-15 degrees warmer than where I live in Tamaqua.