Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2018-19

pasnownut

1 hour ago, bubbler86 said:

Cannot not talk about Accuweather without throwing Elliot Abrams some air time.  He is from Philly. Though, I cannot tell you how often, in the 90's mainly, it would start snowing in Philly and he would crush my hopes by getting on KYW and pointing out how warm it was in NC and that was what was coming our way.  

Undoubtedly the driest human being I’ve ever listened to. But smart....way smart 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

Haha.  If his depiction played out precisely then it looks like my backyard would be between 3.3 to 3.5.  We. Will. See.

I liked the fact that he was acknowledging that <100 miles was the difference between 1" and 12".  Now where have we seen that possibility before?  Seems like this state falls in the battleground many, many times.

That is so true. How many times in the past decade have we been on the northern edge of the battleground? And now we finally have a vintage 80's slop storm where I'm on the southern edge. 

He's been calling for a "few inches" of snow locally all week and still is. He has lowered his expected temperatures however, and is hitting ice pretty good. 

I’m liking my call my of 2”-4” followed by a hellish sleet/ice fest for The LSV between 81 & turnpike, but I may have underdone the snow a bit. I think that initial wallop may be significant and put down 4”-6” followed by lots and lots of sleet and freezing rain.

Speaking of which, when the hell is the best time to shovel in this scenario of snow to ice to freezer? If it gets above freezing it will only be for a short time late Saturday night or early Sunday morning.

. Pro

Just now, Itstrainingtime said:

I tried to answer you but didn't think ice was that big of a concern. :( 

LOL, no sweat. I don't think it ultimately will be, but if we got a ton of rain and the river didn't crest right away with the little ice we have and a rapid freeze, it could be problematic.

14 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

I’m liking my call my of 2”-4” followed by a hellish sleet/ice fest for The LSV between 81 & turnpike, but I may have underdone the snow a bit. I think that initial wallop may be significant and put down 4”-6” followed by lots and lots of sleet and freezing rain.

Speaking of which, when the hell is the best time to shovel in this scenario of snow to ice to freezer? If it gets above freezing it will only be for a short time late Saturday night or early Sunday morning.

. Pro

This is what happened in '94. Road crews decided to let snow on the roads knowing that the ice on top wouldn't melt for a week with the bitter cold temperatures.

I've always had the mindset of getting everything cleaned off as quick as i can and then use sand for traction if ice persists. But that's me. 

I think it is extremely uncomfortable to go out in rain or sleet so in this case, especially since it is the weekend, I will try to time when the dry slot comes through but before the hounds of winter come rolling in to lock in whatever is still on the driveway.  I have to do about 1/8" of a mile with a shovel.  LOL.  I refuse to get a blower.

6 minutes ago, 2001kx said:

You gonna have a snow map / numbers for the storm?

I'll probably at least throw a discussion with some numbers out prior to the storm. I'm probably going to look over tonights 0z guidance first though. You continue to look in good shape for a big snowfall before any mixing, if it ever comes there. I would feel comfortable saying 10+ is looking fairly attainable in Clearfield.