Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December/January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

7 minutes ago, nj2va said:

That's exactly what I'm thinking, too.  Early signs of the progression to a favorable pattern is now appearing...makes sense given we're now in the first days of January on these LR ensembles.  

Everyone should just enjoy the holidays and by New Years we will have better things to talk about. 

• Like 3

Just now, Bob Chill said:

Oh wow, weeklies look amazing and the good pattern sets in week 3 and never leaves. Strongest -nao signal I've ever seen on the weeklies. I'll post a few images shortly. 

Wow is right...you beat me too it...Textbook

4 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Oh wow, weeklies look amazing and the good pattern sets in week 3 and never leaves. Strongest -nao signal I've ever seen on the weeklies. I'll post a few images shortly. 

I never quite get how the weeklies count weeks. I would think week 3 starts New Year’s Eve. Is that right?

Just now, BristowWx said:

Grain of salt.  They have looked good before.  

We appear to start breaking in the right direction already and that's only in a couple weeks. I agree about weeks 4-6 being crazy talk but if the week 3 looks fills in with the eps/gefs over the next week then I'm going to get kinda excited... Could be the real deal here. 

• Like 2

It's plenty good well before this panel but the neg nao is literally on fire going into Feb. If global ens start looking like the week 3 progression then it's a pretty good sign and not far away...

DDaCp1P.jpg

Yeah thats my fav panel from the run. Monster Davis Strait block ftw.

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

We appear to start breaking in the right direction already and that's only in a couple weeks. I agree about weeks 4-6 being crazy talk but if the week 3 looks fills in with the eps/gefs over the next week then I'm going to get kinda excited... Could be the real deal here. 

Agree.  We shall see but way guarded for now.  

Here's week 3. It's not perfect but serviceable. As long as this type of longwave pattern sets up first week of Jan then we're back in the game at least

kVkCd3y.jpg

Yeah nice. Cutter risk verbatim for wound up storms but could easily get something modest with that look. 

6 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Grain of salt.  They have looked good before.  

All the seasonal and sub seasonal guidance looks identical. And they look exactly like a composite of the analogs. And there are current indications the PV is in big trouble. There are reasons to believe this more than just because the euro says so. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I just want the pac flamethrower to go away. Any ridging in the pna and/or epo region to kick off the new year will put a lot of people at ease. The upcoming week or 2 is going test the patience of even the most relaxed snow weenies...

Nice that at least the 24-26th will be the coldest days of that stretch. Anything to avoid another 60F+ around Xmas.

26 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Been telling everyone to chill 

I don't think my cynicism will end until I'm shoveling...lol Because even with a great look, I worry about the random bad luck screwing us all season for just no reason whatsoever!

As long as we get some hits (even if we have to miss a couple)...then it's OKAY...

16 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I just want the pac flamethrower to go away. Any ridging in the pna and/or epo region to kick off the new year will put a lot of people at ease. The upcoming week or 2 is going test the patience of even the most relaxed snow weenies...

2 weeks of waiting is nothing, really...that is, IF we can take advantage of a good 4-6 week look at some point and not get screwed over multiple times by random stuff. Quite frankly...I'm more worried about the random stuff than the right look materializing.

29 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Amen.  It's good to see the negative height anomalies getting out near the Aleutians in the weeklies, and NOT in the Gulf of AK.  I can deal with a couple of meh weeks the rest of this month and keep an eye on a transition to something a lot better as we get into January.  Only exception is that I've about had it with the 2-day rain-fests.  Christmas may not be white, but dammit, at least let's have it be dry and not a miserable washout like this past weekend (and again later this week)!

• Like 1