Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Meteorological Winter 2018 Banter

doncat

11 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

I guess I was a bit harsh, but please don't act as though you are a victim or didn't come off as a bit snarky with your comment.

You consider questioning whether or not I have read peer reviewed journals to be amicable?

I never questioned anything. I used the generic "you" to suggest that a lot of people get the wrong idea about how scientific consensus works, because the vast majority of our exposure to science comes from secondary and tertiary science reporting. It's a common talking point among those who reject mainstream climate science that "they" can't even decide whether eggs are good or bad for one's health, so why should we trust "them"? None of this is directed at you personally. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I never questioned anything. I used the generic "you" to suggest that a lot of people get the wrong idea about how scientific consensus works, because the vast majority of our exposure to science comes from secondary and tertiary science reporting. It's a common talking point among those who reject mainstream climate science that "they" can't even decide whether eggs are good or bad for one's health, so why should we trust "them"? None of this is directed at you personally. 

Perhaps "you" should have been typed as "they" was?  

2 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

Not really a bold call and as likely, if not more, to be how it plays out. None of us knows the future; we could get a blizzard in April. But let's be real...After about Feb 20, I'd take a bet against anything big. But it would be a bet, that's all.

None of us know the future, but I know the past and this winter is already not as bad as those ones were, even if the February trends turn out to be false leads.

5 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

Perhaps "you" should have been typed as "they" was?  

I'm not going to get into it, but I'll note for the record that you yourself used the generic "you" not an hour ago. It's very conventional language.

1 hour ago, 495weatherguy said:

I have my doubts about all of those experts as well.  Im sure you remember when eggs were considered healthy for you, then bad, now depends on who you ask.  I'm saying we don't really know for sure

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My understanding of eggs, yolks and good vs bad cholesterol is that the yolk is fine and provides HDL until it reaches the temperature where it begins to harden and there is a chemical change and it becomes LDL. Because of this understanding I've mostly tried to eat eggs over easy for the last 10 years or so. I do love me some Mexican omelets and breakfast burritos though.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

One of the hardest topics I had to teach when I was teaching English was the concepts of the plural "you" and the understood "you." In this day of social media it has become worse methinks.

26 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

My understanding of eggs, yolks and good vs bad cholesterol is that the yolk is fine and provides HDL until it reaches the temperature where it begins to harden and there is a chemical change and it becomes LDL. Because of this understanding I've mostly tried to eat eggs over easy for the last 10 years or so. I do love me some Mexican omelets and breakfast burritos though.

Well it seems studies of less developed societies is showing what they eat doesn't mean much, but how much they move around ( a lot more than most of us ) may be the critical difference. So have a burrito, then go for a long walk.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

It's amazing how the coastal areas can't even get a light snowfall.

Pretty sad

Anthony, the reason we are talking about eggs and cholesterol, among other things, is that the only weather worth talking about, our lack of snow, is old news. I detect a hint of resignation starting to filter through your posts. It's ok man. We feel your pain.

• Sad 1

Just now, weatherpruf said:

Well it seems studies of less developed societies is showing what they eat doesn't mean much, but how much they move around ( a lot more than most of us ) may be the critical difference. So have a burrito, then go for a long walk.

In my case mt biking 8-10 times a month (sometimes more), hiking once or twice and assorted other activities didn't seem to make a difference and I managed to have a heart attack last month and then found out that there are two more arteries partially blocked. Funny thing is my cholesterol numbers aren't terrible but apparently my body just doesn't process it well.

Just now, gravitylover said:

In my case mt biking 8-10 times a month (sometimes more), hiking once or twice and assorted other activities didn't seem to make a difference and I managed to have a heart attack last month and then found out that there are two more arteries partially blocked. Funny thing is my cholesterol numbers aren't terrible but apparently my body just doesn't process it well.

Ya know, I've had high cholesterol most of my life. I'm a type 2 diabetic. I walk an hour a day, in my younger days I was a runner. never watched what I ate really. Two years ago a bungled cystoscopy left me with a prostate infection that blocked my urine flow and led to sepsis. I developed blood clots in both lungs and needed extraordinary measures to save my life. They even thought I had a heart attack due to the raised enzymes. But it wasn't. My heart rate had spiked to like 160 or more and it didn't go under 110 or so for a week after treatment. They did a stress test and I'll be damned it was ok. I asked the doc what the odds were that I'd have no blockages with a lifetime of moderately high cholesterol ( in the 240's ) he said about 80%. My mother died from kidney failure after a lifetime of uncontrolled diabetes. She had high cholesterol. But she did not have blocked arteries. I take the statins now though. Oh, i've also had high BP for 25 years. But that comes from working with idiots all day. And I don't mean the students.

@weatherpruf  Damn dude, you got the wrong end of the stick didn't ya. Yup they've got me on atorvastatin and brilinta now. I've always had very low BP and a rather low resting heart rate that's up a little bit now but still lower than many "healthy" people.

Weather talk - Looks like I might actually get an inch or two on Tuesday night/Wed. That ought to get it to ~12" for the season. Pennies, nickels and dimes might just get me to 1/2 maybe even 2/3 of average for the year. I'll take it.

26 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

@weatherpruf  Damn dude, you got the wrong end of the stick didn't ya. Yup they've got me on atorvastatin and brilinta now. I've always had very low BP and a rather low resting heart rate that's up a little bit now but still lower than many "healthy" people.

Weather talk - Looks like I might actually get an inch or two on Tuesday night/Wed. That ought to get it to ~12" for the season. Pennies, nickels and dimes might just get me to 1/2 maybe even 2/3 of average for the year. I'll take it.

I'm at about 6 and don't expect big numbers this year. Heck, in my region we have a hard time posting big numbers even when everyone around us is getting double digits.

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Ya know, I've had high cholesterol most of my life. I'm a type 2 diabetic. I walk an hour a day, in my younger days I was a runner. never watched what I ate really. Two years ago a bungled cystoscopy left me with a prostate infection that blocked my urine flow and led to sepsis. I developed blood clots in both lungs and needed extraordinary measures to save my life. They even thought I had a heart attack due to the raised enzymes. But it wasn't. My heart rate had spiked to like 160 or more and it didn't go under 110 or so for a week after treatment. They did a stress test and I'll be damned it was ok. I asked the doc what the odds were that I'd have no blockages with a lifetime of moderately high cholesterol ( in the 240's ) he said about 80%. My mother died from kidney failure after a lifetime of uncontrolled diabetes. She had high cholesterol. But she did not have blocked arteries. I take the statins now though. Oh, i've also had high BP for 25 years. But that comes from working with idiots all day. And I don't mean the students.

It’s pretty much entirely genetic.  I’m not a bad eater, am normal weight, and only in my 30s but I consistently am on the fringe of going pre-diabetic because all 4 grandparents had it and both parents are borderline pre diabetic now.  I have to run 3 days a week.  If I don’t my fasting blood sugar starts creeping up to 100-110 within a few weeks and I’ll usually run an A1C near 5.3-5.6 if I go a few months without running.  It seems inevitable without significant diet management I’ll be diabetic before 60.  My goal is to keep it of as long as I can.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SnowGoose69 said:

It’s pretty much entirely genetic.  I’m not a bad eater, am normal weight, and only in my 30s but I consistently am on the fringe of going pre-diabetic because all 4 grandparents had it and both parents are borderline pre diabetic now.  I have to run 3 days a week.  If I don’t my fasting blood sugar starts creeping up to 100-110 within a few weeks and I’ll usually run an A1C near 5.3-5.6 if I go a few months without running.  It seems inevitable without significant diet management I’ll be diabetic before 60.  My goal is to keep it of as long as I can.  

I kept it at bay for 12 years. You can stay in the prediabetic range a long time. However, I now know the damage is going on even while prediabetic, as I have neuropathy in both feet. My sugar isn't all that high. My mom started with " a little sugar" in her 50's, by the time she was in her 70's it was bad. But I've a friend who has been type 2 and out of control since his 30's. And no one else in his family has it. It now appears a combination of psychiatric med and cholesterol meds may have triggered it. Tom Hanks was also prediabetic since his 30's. Try walking on days you don't jog; it makes a difference.

10 hours ago, 495weatherguy said:

In general, science doesn't change nearly as quickly as people are led to believe by bungled media coverage. If you had stayed abreast of the peer-reviewed literature on the dietary merits of eggs, you would have noticed the body of knowledge expanding incrementally with each new study. There's no head scientist who gets up on Tuesday morning and alerts the media that Eggs Are Now Bad.

How do you know that I haven’t stayed abreast of all peer reviewed literature?   

Please explain, in detail, the body of knowledge which is expanding incrementally with respect to cholesterol from eggs, for both good and bad cholesterol.  How about the yolk?   Or the interaction between the two 

10 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Patronizing and squarely off-topic. I guess that's what I get for being amicable.

No need to squabble, I have a far better idea.  Just take your Omega 3's and quit worrying :P

I guess we all need some snow we are developing SAD but from lack of snow not lack of sun :P

Eggs are yucky anyway- who wants them?  And if you saw how chickens and other animals are treated on factory farms and the types of hormones and antibiotics they use on them you wouldn't want any of that cr*p either.

7 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

dont drink soda and dont eat fast food at least.

we are about to ban soda from many locations as per our mayor.

America has the highest rate of obesity in the world for a reason, too much trash food is consumed.

9 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

None of us know the future, but I know the past and this winter is already not as bad as those ones were, even if the February trends turn out to be false leads.

This is very much like an 80s winter- less than double digit snowfall and useless Arctic outbreaks that cost money lol.

9 hours ago, Snow88 said:

It's amazing how the coastal areas can't even get a light snowfall.

Pretty sad

...really sad..and if i may quote Howie Rose (NYMets announcer on 710WOR) after the game he'll 

say (and this goes for this winter)...PUT IT IN THE BOOKS!!!

13 hours ago, uncle W said:

the historic winter of 1887-88 had three rain storms between arctic outbreaks...then came March...

Beautiful Unc. ... I believe the event started as strong rains with relatively mild temperatures, at least until that arctic front caught sight of the L.P., fell in love, sang “MARIA” and the rest is history. As always ....... 

9 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Through a proper diet and exercise you can mitigate most, if not all of the issues.   

• Like 1