• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2018-19 OBS Thread

Rtd208

Next and most intriguing threat window Jan 8-10. Major teleconnections lining up rather favorably with nice looking PAC and decent transient (for now) ATL side with energy undercutting the region and an active NS. First time in a long time all 3 major global ops (and ens) show snow for the region....maybe since November. Finally seeing some positive changes down the road as well.

A week or so ago most knowledgeable mets were saying the significant pattern change would probably not occur until the middle of January. I don't see anything that should change that outlook. People are losing patience in all the nearby subforums. I like that most of our storms are SS in origin. Just need some blocking. Just like last March it will happen. It's going to snow. Bigly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Next and most intriguing threat window Jan 8-10. Major teleconnections lining up rather favorably with nice looking PAC and decent transient (for now) ATL side with energy undercutting the region and an active NS. First time in a long time all 3 major global ops (and ens) show snow for the region....maybe since November. Finally seeing some positive changes down the road as well.

You see the Euro? And I agree that around the 10th is our next shot. The 6z GFS almost looked like 2/5/10.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wkd said:

A week or so ago most knowledgeable mets were saying the significant pattern change would probably not occur until the middle of January. I don't see anything that should change that outlook. People are losing patience in all the nearby subforums. I like that most of our storms are SS in origin. Just need some blocking. Just like last March it will happen. It's going to snow. Bigly.

I think today we are right where we said we wanted to be 2 weeks ago which is starting to see slight transitioning in the pattern and also seeing some fantasy storms in the long range finally with stuff to track. MJO forecasts slowly coming around as well tho the eps mjo still entering the cod where the GEFS MJO gets to 7 and stalls. Either one is better than being stuck in phase 6 so these are all positives moving forward imo.

25 minutes ago, RedSky said:

All new look on the day 10 storm on the euro, as in looks tropical out lol

In spite of the long range model teases we've been getting lending hope to stepping down into a better pattern, it's looking more and more like we may have to actually wait until Jan. 15th - 20th. At least it's only 2 or 3 weeks away now. Which means a week or so away from seeing it reflected in model runs. Part of me wants to lol, but I'm keeping the faith for now!

6 hours ago, Newman said:

You see the Euro? And I agree that around the 10th is our next shot. The 6z GFS almost looked like 2/5/10.

And like someone waved a magic wand poof....good pattern look all but gone. I'm sure it will be back and that period still has a threat but it is comical and frustrating at the same time to see the flopping in the models simultaneously from run to run.

• Like 1

I'm still sticking with around Jan 10th as when we see the pattern change and the 15th as when the show begins. The SSWE is already underway and will yield the AO/NAO blocking that we need. Then we wait for the MJO to cycle into favorable phases 7-8-and possibly 1. But if we can get the MJO to reach phase 8 and then enter the COD, that's so much better than having it enter in, lets say phase 5, because in that situation the unfavorable lag is even longer. I know we're all impatient but really there's nothing we can do. Personally, I think this stratospheric warming event is screwing this winter up, at least so far. We were heading towards the right direction until the MJO stalled in the unfavorable phases, possibly a result of the SSWE as Isotherm has alluded to in other sub forums. The cooler tropospheric temperatures in the tropics correlated to the SSWE likely induced a much better environment for the MJO convection to thrive, notably increasing lapse rates and increasing the convection. Stalling and enhancing the MJO in the unfavorable phases just eliminated a huge chunk of late December and early January due to an enhanced NP jet extension. Then we wait until mid January for any lag to wear off and the PAC jet to relax and what do you know we have a 1 to 1 1/2 months left of winter. Of course, we can still produce in the month of winter we have. Look at February 2010 for the upper Mid-Atlantic. You had the Feb 5-7th storm followed by the Feb 10-12th storm. Parts of southern PA picked up nearly 50" in that week alone.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Newman said:

I'm still sticking with around Jan 10th as when we see the pattern change and the 15th as when the show begins. The SSWE is already underway and will yield the AO/NAO blocking that we need. Then we wait for the MJO to cycle into favorable phases 7-8-and possibly 1. But if we can get the MJO to reach phase 8 and then enter the COD, that's so much better than having it enter in, lets say phase 5, because in that situation the unfavorable lag is even longer. I know we're all impatient but really there's nothing we can do. Personally, I think this stratospheric warming event is screwing this winter up, at least so far. We were heading towards the right direction until the MJO stalled in the unfavorable phases, possibly a result of the SSWE as Isotherm has alluded to in other sub forums. The cooler tropospheric temperatures in the tropics correlated to the SSWE likely induced a much better environment for the MJO convection to thrive, notably increasing lapse rates and increasing the convection. Stalling and enhancing the MJO in the unfavorable phases just eliminated a huge chunk of late December and early January due to an enhanced NP jet extension. Then we wait until mid January for any lag to wear off and the PAC jet to relax and what do you know we have a 1 to 1 1/2 months left of winter. Of course, we can still produce in the month of winter we have. Look at February 2010 for the upper Mid-Atlantic. You had the Feb 5-7th storm followed by the Feb 10-12th storm. Parts of southern PA picked up nearly 50" in that week alone.

Good post. I posted essentially the same ideas in the mid atl thread a few hours ago. GEFS have been consistently pointing to mid January as well as the Euro weeklies. For whatever reason the eps have been against the change or severely delaying that good look. Could be right but for the reasons I mentioned over there and which you echo here I am very optimistic it is on it's way in a couple of weeks. Heck we could even possibly score something as we are still in this crud pattern but taking steps up. Frustrating yes. But it's not like Dec and part of January being punted wasnt expected during this Nino.

Fwiw overnight GEFS still consistent in advertising a much batter pattern with more favorable PAC look and HL blocking towards mid month. GEPS took a move towards the GEFS and relatively similar with key features. EPS finally started to budge at the end of the run just a few days later.  These are all positives and we are on schedule  believe it or not still for what many have been advertising irt mid month pattern changes to a more wintry look.