Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2018-19 OBS Thread

Rtd208

24 minutes ago, RedSky said:

ECM is having none of that New Years time event, not a good sign with it inside 5 days

Meanwhile back to a fantasy day 8 ECM storm. Can't believe I am going to finish a cold November-December combo with like 18" rain and zero snow, boggling my mind something serious.

Every model has like 4 or 5 waves rolling thru in a 5 day span with the stj hanging out right under the region. Imo it's not a matter of IF it's a matter or which one. Still a few different scenarios but see my post earlier re: the transient neg nao and how we are entering a dip and have had a coastal with each one. Something is going to pop.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

ICON just jumped on board with the NAVGEM, FV3, and Euro for the 2nd half of this weekend. Awaiting GFS family...

18Z FV3 looks like another <looking for snow flakes among the raindrops with a snow lamp> for Sunday night (sounds like this past Sunday night). The Icon (yes I know) and the FV3 do at least have some frozen in the area. Right now the Euro for the 4th looks decent, hope it's correct. Lots to sort out, next week should be clearer by this weekend. At least there's some tracking action for next week.  Anyone notice how stingy the CMC has been for snow here, since it's upgrade? It used to be a snow hero for digital snow, not any more.

Not sure if the week after next will be warm again prior to the big freeze, or a continuation of next week but a little colder. Changes to a more supportive pattern appear to be happening, which is exciting, actual snow will be even more so!

By the way the Squirrels dialed the nut consumption way back after mid November, but they appear to be increasing their intake/storage (somewhat) again the last few days.

2 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

18Z FV3 looks like another <looking for snow flakes among the raindrops with a snow lamp> for Sunday night (sounds like this past Sunday night). The Icon (yes I know) and the FV3 do at least have some frozen in the area. Right now the Euro for the 4th looks decent, hope it's correct. Lots to sort out, next week should be clearer by this weekend. At least there's some tracking action for next week.  Anyone notice how stingy the CMC has been for snow here, since it's upgrade? It used to be a snow hero for digital snow, not any more.

Not sure if the week after next will be warm again prior to the big freeze, or a continuation of next week but a little colder. Changes to a more supportive pattern appear to be happening, which is exciting, actual snow will be even more so!

By the way the Squirrels dialed the nut consumption way back after mid November, but they appear to be increasing their intake/storage (somewhat) again the last few days.

Apparently must have been a good upgrade then since weve been teased by other models but with the CMC showing nothing has actually been correct?

I dont know what happened irt guidance over the past 30 hours but something is being picked up on and it isn't good imo. Not sure if this SSW and PV split is the culprit or the NAO ridging is back to looking transient but those steps towards an epic pattern are beginning to step back and be pushed farther out in time on both ens and lr ops. Snowfall means have backed off significantly thru mid Jan and a PAC dominated temp regime is now showing up. But before anyone points out 'well u just said a few days ago how the LR models are struggling ' I completely realize this and know it can change back. I am just discussing the pattern and sudden changes that are showing up. What I dont like admittedly is how the decent looks keep getting delayed. Temps for mid month....oddly the ops have been performing better than the ens means so go figure:

gfs_T850a_us_53.png

fv3p_T2ma_us_61.png

37 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I dont know what happened irt guidance over the past 30 hours but something is being picked up on and it isn't good imo. Not sure if this SSW and PV split is the culprit or the NAO ridging is back to looking transient but those steps towards an epic pattern are beginning to step back and be pushed farther out in time on both ens and lr ops. Snowfall means have backed off significantly thru mid Jan and a PAC dominated temp regime is now showing up. But before anyone points out 'well u just said a few days ago how the LR models are struggling ' I completely realize this and know it can change back. I am just discussing the pattern and sudden changes that are showing up. What I dont like admittedly is how the decent looks keep getting delayed. Temps for mid month....oddly the ops have been performing better than the ens means so go figure:

gfs_T850a_us_53.png

fv3p_T2ma_us_61.png

Check out the MJO RMM charts. Models completely underdid the amplification into phase 5. We now have to wait for the MJO to cycle into cold phases 8-1-2 but that will take longer due to the extreme amplification into p5. Not only that but we need the SOI to take on a -7 or lower value. That ensures a more El Nino central PAC jet. We're stuck in a La Niña type atmosphere due to the Pacific Ocean temps not fully coupling with the atmosphere. The past couple weeks have been nothing but a disappointment. We'll have to wait until Jan 10th and on, perhaps later, for the MJO to fully cycle around.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Newman said:

Check out the MJO RMM charts. Models completely underdid the amplification into phase 5. We now have to wait for the MJO to cycle into cold phases 8-1-2 but that will take longer due to the extreme amplification into p5. Not only that but we need the SOI to take on a -7 or lower value. That ensures a more El Nino central PAC jet. We're stuck in a La Niña type atmosphere due to the Pacific Ocean temps not fully coupling with the atmosphere. The past couple weeks have been nothing but a disappointment. We'll have to wait until Jan 10th and on, perhaps later, for the MJO to fully cycle around.

Thanks for posting this. You are more knowledgeable on those indices so I appreciate when you contribute your understanding of the SOI etc to the discussions here. 

1 hour ago, Newman said:

From CPC -Ensembles (1st), Op (2nd) -

mjo-ensembles-12272018.gif

mjo-operational-12272018.gif

I wondered, with the MJO, how much that amplified Phase 5/6 would affect the atmosphere given all the other conditions.  Phases 5 & especially 6 are associated with warmth flooding the entire CONUS.  Things will (hopefully) look much more favorable once we get into Phase 7, which is a near exact inverse of Phase 5.  The question, I guess, is whether the MJO continues that momentum into other favorable phases (8 and 1) or dies into the COD.  The latter option is probably better than what it is currently doing.  Still, I wonder if that much amplification would be too much of a good thing?  We've already seen one suppressed system this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jwilson said:

I wondered, with the MJO, how much that amplified Phase 5/6 would affect the atmosphere given all the other conditions.  Phases 5 & especially 6 are associated with warmth flooding the entire CONUS.  Things will (hopefully) look much more favorable once we get into Phase 7, which is a near exact inverse of Phase 5.  The question, I guess, is whether the MJO continues that momentum into other favorable phases (8 and 1) or dies into the COD.  The latter option is probably better than what it is currently doing.  Still, I wonder if that much amplification would be too much of a good thing?  We've already seen one suppressed system this year.

Hopefully it moves through phase 6 as quickly as shown. Not sure how an amplified phase 7 manifests.

Eta: cooler yes, but maybe dry as well?

1 minute ago, RedSky said:

Yeah pretty sure I have never witnessed such a drastic change for the modeled temperatures in only 24 hours for the mid range and just two days ago this was an ECM snow event. 

Right? How we can put faith in anything this year is beyond me whether good, bad, or indifferent. Purely speculation. I personally dont ever recall anything so flip floppy. It was LR struggles for a while then MR now it's the short range. I can only assume the current SSW is what is causing this? I had read this strat warming is entering unchartered territory and historic levels of warming given the time of season. Doing a heck of a number on the MJO as well. Wild stuff.

• Like 1