Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Winter Thread

wxmanmitch

6 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Just bothers me they offer them that weak basically refund. They were fooking stranded for hours in the cold ya cheap dopes.

It used to just be hot chocolate cupons.  

You will never find anyone in the industry give out more than a day ticket for a lift evac.  In fact you'll be lucky to get that much.  It is what it is in the ski industry.  

Most comments I saw online were thankful for the MMSP response.  Earlier this season it took MRG over an hour to evac 29 people from the single chair.  Getting over 100 cleared in 2-2.5 hours is decent.  And a lot of those were down in the 30 minute to 1.5 hour range.

If you get stuck on a Gondola you'll be there for much longer than that.  

8 hours ago, Kitzbuhel Craver said:

Yeah, that place freakin prints money. The most ridiculously priced resort(thanks Vail). Tickets at the counter day of go for 145.00. How bout putting some of that back into the maintenance of utilities, to ensure things like this don’t happen. Then to give a 1 day pass to a customer Who endures something like that at one of the most affluent resorts in the country is not cool, not cool at all.

Look at stock price and quarterly reports to see if anyone prints money.  

And since Vail bought the resort, the season pass prices have come down by $1200 (from $1800 to $600) and it's now cheaper to buy a pass to Stowe than a whole number of VT/NH/ME ski areas.  

Look at day tickets at VT ski areas... Killington $124, Stratton $125, Sugarbush $119...even MRG is $89 a day.  Think of the overhead at a place like MRG compared to other mountains?  No one is "printing money", this is what it costs to operate in today's lawsuit happy, snowmaking intensive environment.  

Stowe now has one of the cheaper seasons pass in the state, too, after being the most expensive in prior years.  And it's good at Okemo and Sunapee now plus all the places out west.  

The "Thanks Vail" comments are what the locals are now saying because they can buy a season of skiing for $600 finally.  Not near $2000.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Stowe has always been the more upscale and expensive option, Vail did nothing really to change that. As PF has said, they ( a long with most of the industry) has trended to lower price but higher volumes of season passes and really tries to push people in that direction. Sugarbush IMO seemed to have put some pressure on the other resorts in the area in this regard before Vail purchased Stowe, but the Vail had been moving in that direction anyway.

They make less money on the people who ski a lot, but more on the people that only ski a few weekends/and travel out west and who are now tempted towards passes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Look at their stock price and quarterly reports to see if the place prints money.  

And since Vail bought the resort, the season pass prices have come down by $1200 (from $1800 to $600) and it's now cheaper to buy a pass to Stowe than a whole number of VT/NH/ME ski areas.  

Look at day tickets at VT ski areas... Killington $124, Stratton $125, Sugarbush $119...even MRG is $89 a day.  Think of the overhead at a place like MRG compared to other mountains?  No one is "printing money", this is what it costs to operate in today's lawsuit happy, snowmaking intensive environment.  

Stowe now has one of the cheaper seasons pass in the state, too, after being the most expensive in prior years.  And it's good at Okemo and Sunapee now plus all the places out west.  

The "Thanks Vail" comments are what the locals are now saying because they can buy a season of skiing for $600 finally.  Not near $2000.  

Fair enough, it was ignorant of me to say that without having any idea what there P&L is, it’s just the impression you get when you’re at Stowe and it is the most elite resort in New England and serves that clientele. For having an experience like that you would hope to get a return on your day and then some. I guess the “thanks Vail” comment stems from just a general dislike of the mega resort feel. I have some of my best memories at Jay in the little Chalet hotel before any of that other nonsense was built and love the feel of the old school soul spots like Magic and MRG

39 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Then i simply disagree with the industry response 

and i would look to stowe’s Image to lead the way with customer service and nobody’s changing my mind that the response to a lift evacuation of basically a refund is poor customer service 

Fair enough dude, I could see it both ways.  

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Plenty of winter here...tough to judge by the main strip in Tilton. We stayed cool most of the day until mid afternoon when we semi slipped into the warm sector. Today was our biggest disparity in temps with you that I've seen since you got the new Davis. Your area is looking damn good for mid week.

Have you tried Tilton House of Pizza? Those guys are damn good. They're right on the corner by the railroad tracks....I think I recall you mentioning Onions to me before. Kettlehead Brewery is a little further down by the high school too.

It might have been me that mentioned Onions....great fireplace, fantastic snapper soup and all around good food.  There is also Woodfired Pizza in Franklin with a real brick woodfired oven.   I think you are winteryer than Boscawen.  The open fields are half melted and treacherous due to ice everywhere, but there is 3-6 in the woods and it feels like winter when I'm hiking.  Gene may be the southern edge of the gradient so far this season.  

13 hours ago, powderfreak said:

You will never find anyone in the industry give out more than a day ticket for a lift evac.  In fact you'll be lucky to get that much.  It is what it is in the ski industry.  

Most comments I saw online were thankful for the MMSP response.  Earlier this season it took MRG over an hour to evac 29 people from the single chair.  Getting over 100 cleared in 2-2.5 hours is decent.  And a lot of those were down in the 30 minute to 1.5 hour range.

When did MRG have a single chair evac? 

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

This had me thinking last night.

The Stowe gondola goes over some really treacherous terrain.

How would you get people off that thing if it was stuck?

We're visiting in 2 weeks, I'm not really sure I want to know but asking anyway......

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

When did MRG have a single chair evac? 

Maybe a month ago?  

Theres usually a handful of them per season scattered around the northeast.  As the mountain manager at Magic said yesterday, they are a fact of life in the ski industry and it's going to happen to every ski area at some point.  A lot of mechanical parts, electronics, all out in the harshest weather possible...given the run-time hours of lifts in New England its impressive it doesn't happen more frequently.  But people do lose their sh*t over them.  

I've only been evacuated once years ago and I was on for about 1.5 hours.  I thought it was an interesting experience to see how it all works.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Missed that one,  haven't seen any reference to it. Got a link? Thats hairy

I don't think it made the news as it was a midweek day.  I'm friends on social with employees there and that's how I found out when it happened.  A contact at Ski Vermont was how I got the 29 people in 1 hour.  I could try to backtrack for the date.

They don't always make the news but definitely different when a Boston area suburban mom posts to social from Stowe like she just survived a plane crash, while likely the folks getting evac'd from MRG were more like "fun, ropes and shit, this might be more interesting than skiing" :lol:.

Just now, powderfreak said:

I don't think it made the news as it was a midweek day.  I'm friends on social with employees there and that's how I found out when it happened.  A contact at Ski Vermont was how I got the 29 people in 1 hour.  I could try to backtrack for the date.

They don't always make the news but definitely different when a Boston area suburban mom posts to social from Stowe like she just survived a plane crash, while likely the folks getting evac'd from MRG were more like "fun, ropes and shit, this might be more interesting than skiing" :lol:.

Yea no thanks especially if you have kids with you for 2.5 hrs in freezing temps snow and wind. Teenagers probably but the great majority of us are all set with that shit

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yea no thanks especially if you have kids with you for 2.5 hrs in freezing temps snow and wind. Teenagers probably but the great majority of us are all set with that shit

Yeah not a bucket list item for many, but again, that time frame is a little blown out.  There were people getting off the lift 20-30 minutes in, that's a big difference from the very last person at just over 2 hours.  The luck of the draw.  Not like everyone was there for 2 hours.  In fact it was probably only an unlucky handful out of 100+ by that point.

You'd like this one Ginxy... from Whitefish Mountain Resort in Montana during Christmas Week:

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2018/12/30/whitefish-mountain-resorts-evacuates-140-guests-from-chairlift/?fbclid=IwAR3OA5FbTviGokhxhbWDE9wmLlTQexVAORzcItur6kHpyb4LdgYxn98uS4o

Look at how high up those chairs are!  Now that's some exciting shit right there, high-angle rescues get that adrenaline going.  12:15pm stoppage and last rider off that chair at 3:37pm.

Nice radar for the Spine.  Snowing decently here with great snow growth, but I bet a couple miles west towards the mtns it's +SN.

J.Spin looking good on that radar image.  Note that the radar beam will be over-shooting the echos by Montpelier and eastern VT.  Snowing much harder there than radar would indicate.

bIyWTYG.gif

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Nice radar for the Spine.  Snowing decently here with great snow growth, but I bet a couple miles west towards the mtns it's +SN.

J.Spin looking good on that radar image.  Note that the radar beam will be over-shooting the echos by Montpelier and eastern VT.  Snowing much harder there than radar would indicate.

bIyWTYG.gif

At 6:00 P.M. observations we had quite a mix of flake sizes, anywhere from 1 to 10 mm diameters, but the mean flake size has definitely trended higher recently.  Snow density was 6% H2O at 6:00 P.M. observations, but I’d say the next one will be drier if the flakes continue to be what we’ve currently got.  I hadn’t been watching the snowfall too closely this evening, but with the way things started out fairly slowly after the 6:00 P.M. clearing, I’d say snowfall was in the 1”/hr. range with those echoes you saw.  Storm total was around 3” as of ~8:00 P.M.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I found around 3" at 8:30 here when running out to get dinner.  Good flake size.  Making the most of the limited QPF.

I had 5.5” at 8:30. Still snowing. We must have been under optimal snow growth conditions for a while. It was one of those deals where the air was just filled with perfectly shaped snowflakes.  And yes, the radar rarely, if ever, does us justice.