Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Discussion

NorEastermass128

1 hour ago, SnoSki14 said:

I'm not convinced the last week of December turns active/cold. It looks like EPO doesn't turn negative until the 23rd and cold air associated with the EPO tends to head south first. 

Don't think much happens, snow wise, until after the new year. 

Depends...  There is no one size fits all EPO ... it's a conditional/circumstantial correlation to temperature anomaly distribution (lag) when the -EPO(+EPO) sets up... 

For example, on-going +PNA changes the map.  If/when that Pac-North American pattern is pushing up the mid latitude western ridge, and it joins with a -EPO ...the subsequent cold loading will not be favored west. 

The trick is... the PNA and EPO have a robust negative correlation over the longer term mean.  That means...when the PNA is positive, the EPO tends to be negative...  However, often times the two domains will split, and the EPO will feature more of a blocking node as opposed to a full latitude Rossby wave wall with a full bird ridge.  When this form happens, the cold may spill S in the load, and then the -PNA --> -PNAP construct then draws it into the circulation out west.   

I'd say of these two formulations,... "IF" a -EPO does develop, the former has a fair shot - in which case the cold loading may spread east more liberally.  

The other trick is whether the -EPO is real or not.  It's a new signal... not a lot of weight in terms of continuity so ... taken fwiw. And these 'new' signals sometimes don't make the cut. 

To be honest, I'm more intrigued by the AO collapse ...that's been in out there fore a weightier duration/# of nightly turns.  And, now the NAO ...if perhaps concomitant (but not always..) has been hedging that direction too...  If the PNA does roll back positive in four or five days, and the NAO does in fact pop off some ridging in the western end of that domain space, than this relaxation thing may go down more as an interval between cold periods - which may be all that it was anyway.  

volatility either way.  I'd go with warm ...ah ... ish, for a time, but not hopelessly so :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cold Miser said:

Back enders are usually over rated, and will break your heart.

We rarely see anything beyond flurries from the back end, and I've never had more than 1-2" from them since moving from Fort Kent in 1985.

12z GFS lost the day 8 snowstorm it featured at 06, and made the weekend cutter both milder and wetter.  Yay!

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

We rarely see anything beyond flurries from the back end, and I've never had more than 1-2" from them since moving from Fort Kent in 1985.

12z GFS lost the day 8 snowstorm it featured at 06, and made the weekend cutter both milder and wetter.  Yay!

Once the winds back NW, See ya