• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2018/2019 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread

Tyler Penland

Looks like I'll be setting up shop on valle crucis for this one guys... Going to start getting my chit together tomorrow. Just wish I knew some place in raleigh to get snow chains
Welcome to the area! Lots of folks up here that will help out if you get stuck. :D

Subarus for the win.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AirNelson39 said:

Hmm, Brad P on FB Live just now said even mtns will possibly change to rain at some point?? And def foothills and piedmont

Lol he busts more than participants at the WSOP. Seriously I don't think I can ever remember him making a bold forecast. He even told me once he hates making forecasts past 2 days and usually doesnt. That's not even forecasting..

Lol he busts more than participants at the WSOP. Seriously I don't think I can ever remember him making a bold forecast. He even told me once he hates making forecasts past 2 days and usually doesnt. That's not even forecasting..

I’d say that’s one bad thing about having such a huge Social Media Presence with so many followers and fans. You make a bold prediction and it fails you risk angry mobs lol

3 minutes ago, AirNelson39 said:

Hmm, Brad P on FB Live just now said even mtns will possibly change to rain at some point?? And def foothills and piedmont

I'm not implying they are similar events but, during the December 2009 storm we started as snow then went to rain then back to heavy snow. We ended up with 16" + 2" more of flow snow on the back side for a total of 18" in Weaverville. Could there be mixing.....sure. With the QPF amounts shown on most of the guidance how relevant can it be? I guess if 3' is your goal you're out of luck. If 12"+ makes you happy you'll have grins galore!!!

• Like 2

I'm not implying they are similar events but, during the December 2009 storm we started as snow then went to rain then back to heavy snow. We ended up with 16" + 2" more of flow snow on the back side for a total of 18" in Weaverville. Could there be mixing.....sure. With the QPF amounts shown on most of the guidance how relevant can it be? I guess if 3' is your goal you're out of luck. If 12"+ makes you happy you'll have grins galore!!!

I’m hoping for at least 24” lol really wanting a multi footer
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, NavarreDon said:

What a freaking storm that was...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AirNelson39 said:

I’d say that’s one bad thing about having such a huge Social Media Presence with so many followers and fans. You make a bold prediction and it fails you risk angry mobs lol

Oh I get it but you would think his weather weenie would show every now and then.. He missed last January snow incredibly bad... called for 2-3 day before storm and we ended up with 6-9 area wide. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Anybody getting snow tonight?

Nice flurries started a little while ago. Cold, cloudy day. Never got out of the twenties. After last week temps and the start of this one, I notice on a 4 wheeler ride today that the ground is starting to lock up. Some surface mud in the daytime but definitely cold underneath. Even the flurries tonight are sticking to everything.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SnoJoe said:

Nice flurries started a little while ago. Cold, cloudy day. Never got out of the twenties. After last week temps and the start of this one, I notice on a 4 wheeler ride today that the ground is starting to lock up. Some surface mud in the daytime but definitely cold underneath. Even the flurries tonight are sticking to everything.

Nice Joe. Wish I was back already. 

7 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

Oh I get it but you would think his weather weenie would show every now and then.. He missed last January snow incredibly bad... called for 2-3 day before storm and we ended up with 6-9 area wide. 

I love Brad, but you will never ever see him go bold on a winter storm. Ever.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MotoWeatherman said:

Why Valle Cruis?

Technically the address is Banner Elk. My wife and I scheduled an AirBNB for the holidays this weekend. It was done back in October, as I thought we could get away with it since it's early Dec. If we don't go we lose the reservation. Being a weather weenie, I am pretty deadest on going and just preparing to get stuck for a couple days.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, HKY_WX said:

Technically the address is Banner Elk. My wife and I scheduled an AirBNB for the holidays this weekend. It was done back in October, as I thought we could get away with it since it's early Dec. If we don't go we lose the reservation. Being a weather weenie, I am pretty deadest on going and just preparing to get stuck for a couple days.

Ha good timing!   I'll be up on Beech.  Probably heading up Friday to hopefully get stuck.  Lol

• Like 2

Man how ironic! It’s just meant to be then! I’d do whatever it took to go if I didn’t already live up here