• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Flo Banter Thread-no fun allowed, no saying the storm isn’t that bad plz

the ghost of leroy

Since storm mode thread was posted, i'm gonna just lurk. I've had some problems with posting too much yesterday. 

I acknowledge that storm mode is a very serious thread and involves tracking a dangerous/deadly hurricane which has to potential to cause significant loss of life and destruction of property. Therefore i'm gonna take it seriously.

I think it's better to just lurk when you're very new and have less than 500 posts and learn from other posters. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just last month, I vacationed with family at North Topsail Island a little further down the island in the condos. When I walked up the island to find the sandbags I remembered thinking to myself (any year now...) I find it shocking that North Topsail at one point had dunes 100ft high as now the land sits barely above sea level! The entire community seems like a testament to humanity's arrogance. With Florence now looming it has got me thinking. If the North Topsail is inevitably going to be inundated with storm surge and Florence's landfall on the east coast is inevitable as well... Perhaps it should make landfall directly at North Topsail. When it comes to a major hurricane, deaths are likely inevitable but those who meet their fate on the coast will have nobody to blame but themselves. With Florence we have had days of forewarning leaving ample time for evacuation.  Perhaps then, if the community is destroyed the landowners will rebuild more responsibly or better yet not at all! Am I crazy for thinking this way or am I not alone?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlunderStorm said:

Perhaps then, if the community is destroyed the landowners will rebuild more responsibly or better yet not at all! Am I crazy for thinking this way or am I not alone?

Right there with you. We should also definitely stop rebuilding cities below sea level. I'm looking at you, New Orleans.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BlunderStorm said:

Just last month, I vacationed with family at North Topsail Island a little further down the island in the condos. When I walked up the island to find the sandbags I remembered thinking to myself (any year now...) I find it shocking that North Topsail at one point had dunes 100ft high as now the land sits barely above sea level! The entire community seems like a testament to humanity's arrogance. With Florence now looming it has got me thinking. If the North Topsail is inevitably going to be inundated with storm surge and Florence's landfall on the east coast is inevitable as well... Perhaps it should make landfall directly at North Topsail. When it comes to a major hurricane, deaths are likely inevitable but those who meet their fate on the coast will have nobody to blame but themselves. With Florence we have had days of forewarning leaving ample time for evacuation.  Perhaps then, if the community is destroyed the landowners will rebuild more responsibly or better yet not at all! Am I crazy for thinking this way or am I not alone?

It is a lot easier to make suppositions about what you would do then to make those decisions in real life.

personally?  I’m all about packing up and leaving at the mere sign of a landfall near me/us.  Property and things aren’t important to me.  

But it’s a hard sell to people that may have worked their entire lives for that little “slice” of their American dream. 

Anyone criticizing people that make tough choices has likely never faced it themselves.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, drexelkathy said:

It is a lot easier to make suppositions about what you would do then to make those decisions in real life.

personally?  I’m all about packing up and leaving at the mere sign of a landfall near me/us.  Property and things aren’t important to me.  

But it’s a hard sell to people that may have worked their entire lives for that little “slice” of their American dream. 

Anyone criticizing people that make tough choices has likely never faced it themselves.

I understand but it is just so hard for me to feel sympathy for those who chose to own land there. The people who my heart really goes out to is the children who have no decision in where they live or if they even evacuate and the first responders who put their lives on the line to help others in these terrible natural disasters. When people choose to own property there I hope they go in with the expectation their beach homes destruction is but only a matter of time and evacuate when that time comes. There is no worse tragedy than the loss of a life.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BlunderStorm said:

I understand but it is just so hard for me to feel sympathy for those who chose to own land there. The people who my heart really goes out to is the children who have no decision in where they live or if they even evacuate and the first responders who put their lives on the line to help others in these terrible natural disasters. When people choose to own property there I hope they go in with the expectation their beach homes destruction is but only a matter of time and evacuate when that time comes.

I’m sorry you find it hard to have sympathy for people facing natural disasters.

6 hours ago, Akeem the African Dream said:

give me 110kt at landfall

id gamble and ride it out if I was on the coast as well.

All depends on where you are at with respect to the right front, I studied that area north off ILM through Lookout, Topsail in particular, one of the most active sandbars on the east coast, I would be inland.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, drexelkathy said:

I’m sorry you find it hard to have sympathy for people facing natural disasters.

It's not so much a lack of sympathy for their immediate situation but rather their loss of property when they knew the risks. I questioned how and why I felt this way myself and knew some would agree and others disagree. North Topsail is an exceptional example of this sentiment I have expressed. Most beach front property is certainly much safer than there. What gets to me is when these weather weenies wishcast for hurricanes to hit major metropolitan areas without any thought as to what the consequences of that would be if it were to actually occur. Looking at the NHC cone and the spaghetti models I would have never even entertained the thought of it hitting there if it were not for it appearing nearly inevitable. 

In case anyone wants something fun to do over the next couple of evenings....

A good drinking game for major hurricane threads is to take a shot of tropical liquor (rum/tequila) every time someone uses the word "annular."

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Tibet said:

Can anyone explain the reduction in banding that seems to be occurring on IR?

I'm not really qualified to answer this but if I had to guess it's probably the result of an eye wall replacement. Florence could very possibly transform into an annular hurricane. (EDIT) Got me there mempho! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I'm not really qualified to answer this but if I had to guess it's probably the result of an eye wall replacement. Florence could very possibly transform into an annular hurricane. (EDIT) Got me there mempho! :rolleyes:
Perfect timing!

1 minute ago, mempho said:

A good drinking game for major hurricane threads is to take a shot of tropical liquor (rum/tequila) every time someone uses the word "annular."

And if you prefer to get drunk faster, drink every time someone uses the word "trend."

• Like 3

Since the other thread has a ton of NAM watchers right now... just to prove that NAM is not the worst model out there for hurricanes.... there is always CRAS. And wow is it bad! It already has the storm falling apart into an open wave in something like 24 hours, and the track is equally bad :)

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming of waiting for the next useful hurricane model :)

10 minutes ago, Tibet said:

And can anyone describe what is occurring just south of the eye?

goes16_ir_06L_201809110205.jpg

florence is tired of doing hurricane stuff and doesn't feel like making thunderstorms

the gfs shows the storm dissipating in the next 24 hours to take a job doing social work with kids

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, mempho said:

We will never get through a major hurricane again without somebody mentioning annular.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jakkel138 said:

Since storm mode thread was posted, i'm gonna just lurk. I've had some problems with posting too much yesterday. 

I acknowledge that storm mode is a very serious thread and involves tracking a dangerous/deadly hurricane which has to potential to cause significant loss of life and destruction of property. Therefore i'm gonna take it seriously.

I think it's better to just lurk when you're very new and have less than 500 posts and learn from other posters. 

I've been here since the site launched and tracking hurricanes for 30 years and I mostly just lurk the main thread at this point. Sometimes I'll post some images I think would add to the discussion but when there are a dozen or more actual meteorologists in the thread my analysis is pretty worthless.

17 minutes ago, mempho said:

Perhaps an enterprising soul around here could create a special cocktail for this purpose.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mempho said:

DO NOT do this in the comments section of Dr. Masters blog. You will die.

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

We will never get through a major hurricane again without somebody mentioning annular.

Well, I mean what's wrong with mentioning annular hurricanes? This is a weather forum. People here like weather that is cool. Hurricanes look cool. ANNULAR hurricanes look even cooler. xD