• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Flo Banter Thread-no fun allowed, no saying the storm isn’t that bad plz

the ghost of leroy

1 hour ago, hickory said:

Yes I will agree this is a significant event for NC, but with that being said If you live near a river or the coast line this is to be expected a few times in your lifetime. There is going to be massive flooding. I dont know am just not impressed yet. That opinion could change over the next few days  but so far am like meh...

It says in the freaking title of the thread "no saying the storm isn't that bad plz." We aren't here for your spicy hot takes. Try harder.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hickory said:

In the bible of our lord. It rained 40 days and 40 nights. Maybe what SE NC got like 2-3 days. It's a flood but nothing like our lord did. Low end event.

There wasn't a global flood within the timeframe of Christianity (or Mesopotamian civilization for that matter). The 'Noah' myth can be traced back to Sumerian mythology, and the most likely origin of that was: the simple observation of geological strata ... ancient people could find seashells in eroded inland locations, and infer correctly that those regions must once have been underwater. Natural fact in search of an explanation, in pre-scientific times... and the 'flood' as a traditional teaching eventually made it into writing in Mesopotamian clay tablets  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, the ghost of leroy said:

Yeah. Stealing all those luxury items from family dollar. 

seriously...black people in wilmington have been dealing with white folks looting for centuries.  hell, the white folks even overthrew the government when they didn't like how it was going.       that doesn't even mention how the government's last tax bill was essentially even more looting of the coffers of the poor.    instead of saying gosh, what a shame, we might want to see why these people who are poor beyond your belief might think looting some diapers out of a family dollar is the thing to do.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PressureDrop2017 said:

There wasn't a global flood within the timeframe of Christianity (or Mesopotamian civilization for that matter). The 'Noah' myth can be traced back to Sumerian mythology, and the most likely origin of that was: the simple observation of geological strata ... ancient people could find seashells in eroded inland locations, and infer correctly that those regions must once have been underwater. Natural fact in search of an explanation, in pre-scientific times... and the 'flood' as a traditional teaching eventually made it into writing in Mesopotamian clay tablets  

but Jesus. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, hickory said:

In the bible of our lord. It rained 40 days and 40 nights. Maybe what SE NC got like 2-3 days. It's a flood but nothing like our lord did. Low end event.

I am hoping I am not the only one here that finds this post to be uncomfortably strange, ill placed, and almost offensive. 

Back to the storm at hand...

After living through Harvey, Ike, (truly any storm in the last 40 years that has effected the Gulf Coast/ Houston ) recovery from Flo is going to be a long journey. My heart goes out to all of those in her path.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Wmsptwx said:

My God 40 inches of rain...mehhh. For some reason only wind= strong cane to so many.

I guess I just don't understand why people can't bring themselves to admit where there was screw ups.

Its a fact that this didn't hit the strength that it was forecasted to hit. Thats all. And thats huge. It is something we should have learned from last year with Irma.

In most professions, when there are screwups, people get fired. The least that could be offered is , here is what went wrong, here is how we plan to learn from that in the future.

29 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

I guess I just don't understand why people can't bring themselves to admit where there was screw ups.

Its a fact that this didn't hit the strength that it was forecasted to hit. Thats all. And thats huge. It is something we should have learned from last year with Irma.

In most professions, when there are screwups, people get fired. The least that could be offered is , here is what went wrong, here is how we plan to learn from that in the future.

What if it hit as cat 3 or 4 but the surge and rainfall wasn't as bad as predicted? You're focusing too much on the wind and ignoring the fact that the rain and flooding is going to be devastating as predicted. There was nothing to indicate it would weaken as much as it did from a wind perspective.

There's less than a 20 mph difference between a cat 1 and cat 3

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rescuedpup68 said:

I am hoping I am not the only one here that finds this post to be uncomfortably strange, ill placed, and almost offensive. 

Back to the storm at hand...

After living through Harvey, Ike, (truly any storm in the last 40 years that has effected the Gulf Coast/ Houston ) recovery from Flo is going to be a long journey. My heart goes out to all of those in her path.

The response by Hazwoper, 14 hours ago, shows your not alone. He gave us two choices, to perhaps vote on, regarding Hickory’s post. I, however, see it as a strained attempt at sarcasm that does manage to make some uncomfortable, offend others and definitely communicate “ strange”. So is it trolling or stupid, probably both, sadly well done Hickory. As always....

• Like 1

I wanna ask you this, with no disrespect intended...

What would you have done, if you were at the NHC or any of our NWS offices (RAH, ILM, etc) if coming into Wed/Thurs last week all/majority guidance indicated the intensity projected? iirc nothing was showing the potential for southerly wind shear, series of EWRC, and the dry air. How would you have worded AFDs, and how would you have communicated that guidance to the media and the public?

I genuinely want to know, not to prove a point or attack you for your posts. I hope to, within the next 5-10 years, be working at the NHC or in the private sector wrt tropical systems. Communication of threats and dangers related to these storms is crucial to ensuring preparation and protection of life and property. Intensity forecasting confidence definitely lags behind track forecast confidence, and after reading discussions by those like DT and Cranky and Allan, it's been interesting to the the debates between those who focus on models and those who focus on synoptic/observational for forecasting.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DPeterson said:

Reading some of the comments of this thread makes me wonder if inventing the Internet was such a good idea after all...

I couldn’t agree more. This thread made me cringe then puke in my mouth. 

Anyone we thinks this storm did not live up to the hype has no understand of meteorology and really should read more and post less. Almost doubling a states previous record for rainfall in a single tropical cyclone. Easily a 1000 year event. 

• Like 1