Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

3 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

Omg Ginx...that’s rough!!  I feel for you brotha!!  

Try to keep a positive attitude, and you’ll be ok.  Recouping can be tedious...but just keep on keeping on!!

All the best to you Ginx!!

Wolfie.

My attitude has always pulled me through.  Cant wallow in misery. Time for a medical card to vape away.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Actually on a similar diet. Down 22 lbs. Pain management is what its all about now. At least I can devote hours and hours to the Rescues administration needs

I was starting to get that bone on bone feeling in my knee a few years ago. I had some pain in my vertebrae too from overstretching during an exercise. I really cleaned up my diet for a couple of months and all of the pain went away. No sugar, grains, or junk at all. My only carbs were an occasional sweet potato or plantain fried in coconut oil. All whole foods in the form of fat and protein. Lots of veggies, salmon, and organ meat too. 

I’ve been a little off the wagon recently with maple sugar sweetened coffee, but I still feel pretty good. I’m just not in ketosis anymore.

Good job on the weight loss. Now isn’t the time, but you’ll find safe exercises to build your strength back. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

My attitude has always pulled me through.  Cant wallow in misery. Time for a medical card to vape away.

Best of luck to you man.  Sounds like you know how to make the best of it...what's the saying, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade?  I hate when rough stuff happens to good people, but you've got this.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Actually on a similar diet. Down 22 lbs. Pain management is what its all about now. At least I can devote hours and hours to the Rescues administration needs

I’ll tell you, I’m down 43 lbs, Started back in June and the back feels better, But it has its limit with all the damage I have as well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, moneypitmike said:
wow---did you stop eating?

Changed what I was eating and cut the beer out of the diet, I go with 1,800 cals/day, Lot of greens, Lot of protein, Lot of seafood, Lot of Whole grain, And just a few carbs, Trying to get some walking in as well but limited on how much I can do because of the back.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Changed what I was eating and cut the beer out of the diet, I go with 1,800 cals/day, Lot of greens, Lot of protein, Lot of seafood, Lot of Whole grain, And just a few carbs, Trying to get some walking in as well but limited on how much I can do because of the back.

Does the back impact your riding?  I'm counting on a NNE winter this year.

4 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:
Does the back impact your riding?  I'm counting on a NNE winter this year.

Actually, It doesn’t, Sitting is not the problem, Standing or walking long distances is because of the spine compression, So looking forward to another decent season up here, Your moving to Bath right?

16 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Actually, It doesn’t, Sitting is not the problem, Standing or walking long distances is because of the spine compression, So looking forward to another decent season up here, Your moving to Bath right?

At least temporarily.  We're putting Pit1 on the market so I'll be moving out of here to keep it clean and pet-free.  I don't expect a quick sale, and we won't be making another purchase until we do.  So, I see little chance of not being up there the entire winter--perhaps longer.

4 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

So I list a set of snow tires on Craiglist for $100.  Some guy responds whether I was "looking for $ or to trade".  I told him I'd trade him the tires for $100.

The guy is doing everything he can to get his car off the blocks. I can respect that.

Not sure what the origin of Steve's back issues was ... But isn't he a tall man?

My father was 6'7" in his hay throwin' days.  But a fall in his mid 40s seemingly innocuous at the time,... slowly over the years led inexorably to something that sounds similar to what Steve's going through - though probably not as bad. 

He's never had 'back surgery' ...but it has been recommended.  He won't do it. He's nearing 80 and doesn't feel he has enough time left in corporeal form to bother. Plus, he hates and condemns the whole practice of western cultural medicine as a 'soft extortion' practice, holding lives for sale and dreams of every doctor being banished to an island of scarcity where they die of the very diseases they exaggerated in their patients. But you know how old guys crank. 

So he rotates through pain meds instead, stopping doses on any particular type when the kidneys and/or liver tests say that's enough.  Pain management with drugs is stepping stone science like that, because a lot of them will start effecting organs. Even over the counter Ibuprofen/NSADs will take tolls of one's constitution.  I've taken extra strength Tylenol as an alternative myself when I had a dental thing.. with some success at dulling the agony; just not as effective at doing so as the anti- inflammatory, I admit.  

Not a shocker that Brian found some success with improving chronic joint pain by life-style alterations. Fact of the matter is... western societies engage in what is known in medical science as "low grade inflammation."  Even in best of times ...our foods we are taught/raised to eat, the stressy ambience of life style in general, too oft devoid of the right kinds of human contact ... alcohol .. tobacco and other recreation drug uses ... all of it is one big enigma to diagnostic science when inevitably a person of that reality wonders into a check up complaining of x-y-z, only to end up toe-tagged after 30 months of failed chemo-therapy ...or just DOA's from a no-warning coronary. 

I was watching a 60-minutes episode ...I guess it was a few years ago. They were reporting on a couple small nook societies ...almost off grid really... around the planet where the citizens routinely live to be 100. The common denominator between them all was that they were never really exposed to the western "industrial food complex" - that's what I call it. Eisenhower is famously noted for warning of the Industrial Military Complex to future generations as something to be watchful and avoid doing - which has failed but that's another discussion.  I like the borrowed usage here.  Instead, these hill communities, or islanders... they were raised on fish and beans and greens.  They've never seen a cola and really don't engage in recreational alcohol much if at all.  No one is obese. Cancer is rare ... They have physically actives days and healthy sex-lives into their 80s.  Can you imagine, if every American suddenly switched to that sort of life-style, and stopped buying products with pretty colored packaging? Man, the industrial food complex in present form turns the gears of billions and billions in integrated economics. And the medical industry? Whether my curmudgeonly old father is right or not ... they'd take a big hit too. 

Anyway, his doctors say that his stature was to blame, hauling a 6'7" frame around his whole life. I think of all those 6'7" NBAers ...running and jumping for careers, and wonder what they deal with in their geriatric years.  Maybe they are all like this.  

So now my father stands about 6'3"now ...barely taller than me at 6'2" ...give or take a quarter inch.   What was once an imposing figure, looming shadows in most crowds, so reduced. 

Was there a stalled front somewhere in SNE all week?  Mod-Wed in SNJ we had highs 80-83, dews well into the 60s, and a nice TS late Mon evening.  then Thurs-Fri were raw upper 60s with occasional spritzes.  Sat was 70 with clouds and high dews.  We get home and find that the temp here topped out at 59 for the 6 days, low of 33, 0.90" precip.  (IIRC, this past Wed-Thurs had been progged for 75 and maybe 80 for our area.)