Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

41 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Low of 77 here...wow

If ISP can hold the 77 low through midnight, then it will rank as the 3rd warmest minimum for the month of August.

ISP warmest August minimums

#1.....80....2006

#2.....78....2016...1999

#3.....77....2018....2006...2005...1988

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Again, March 1st isn't the start of Spring.

The start of Autumn is really October 1st IMO.

And the same thing can be said about December when most consider December 1st the start of winter even though its still fall going by the calendar. I more or less consider September 1st the start of fall, December 1st winter, March 1st spring, June 1st summer even though in reality that is not true. I guess everyone has their own opinion on it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Will - Rutgers said:

Good lord I just saw lightning from that line all the way here in Piscataway.  Actually now I'm seeing a bunch of it.  That's a solid hundred miles away.

Giving mild consideration to setting up the camera somewhere but I don't think anything would be here for at least two hours and who knows how it'll fall apart.  The stable air down here has been cutting down these storms for two weeks.

Piscataway to Allentown is 53 miles as the crow flies. 

I was surprised that line didn't hold to reach me here.  I'm on the border of Somerset and Hunterdon. When I went to bed at 11:20, the line was probably 8 miles away or so.  Checked the gauge this morning and nothing.  But yesterday afternoon I received .94" in about 25 minutes from some cells.

7 hours ago, mjr said:

On Monday July 30 at 3pm the following stations...NYC, LGA, EWR, TEB, JFK, ISP, BDR and Caribou Maine reported the following temperatures in scrambled order...81,81,80,80,77,77.77,74. See if you can guess who reported the 74 (hint...it was not Caribou). The answer is NYC. It had not rained in 48 hours.

NYC has now routinely been reporting maximum temps 3-5 degrees or more lower than comparable local stations not dominated by sea breezes. The temperature deficiencies are especially pronounced in the mid to late afternoon. On Tuesday July 31 at 4pm the temperatures for the 8 stations listed above (in scrambled order) were 84,82,81,80,80,80,78,77. NYC reported the 77.

Wednesday, August 1 was the most extreme. When I first saw the high of 93 at LGA I thought it was a typo. It turns out that while LGA was warm, NYC was the real outlier. At 4pm the average of 10 stations in the NYC metropolitan area, including Breezy Point (surrounded by water) and Bronx Botanical Gardens (probably has some foliage) was 86.8. Six Northern NJ stations averaged 87.3. Central Park boasted 81. I would think that a 9 degree spread between LGA and NYC has to be a record.

All of this would be an amusing diversion except for the fact that this is the "official" New York City temperature that everyone from the uninformed media and public to experienced professional meteorologists looks to as an accurate representation of conditions in Manhattan and an accurate standard of comparison (for example, experienced mets routinely use the NYC number when comparing the number of 90+ days around the country). The largest city in the US deserves better, foliage or no foliage. Meanwhile, I suggest that Upton send someone out to make sure that the temperature sensor wasn't vandalized and that someone didn't in fact remove it and toss it into the polar bear pool at the zoo. 

Thank you for this, I was actually discussing this elsewhere the other day and someone (with a cold bias) tried to tell me that Central Park is more accurate because it’s in a shaded environment, and that airport observations are more questionable. Willful ignorance.

8 minutes ago, frankdp23 said:

I was surprised that line didn't hold to reach me here.  I'm on the border of Somerset and Hunterdon. When I went to bed at 11:20, the line was probably 8 miles away or so.  Checked the gauge this morning and nothing.  But yesterday afternoon I received .94" in about 25 minutes from some cells.

Picked up some decent rains around 12:30AM up this way from that line. No thunder, just a good soaking for about 20 minutes or so.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

And the same thing can be said about December when most consider December 1st the start of winter even though its still fall going by the calendar. I more or less consider September 1st the start of fall, December 1st winter, March 1st spring, June 1st summer even though in reality that is not true. I guess everyone has their own opinion on it.

I think it's because their is a noticeable change in sensible weather from May to June that you don't necessarily see between June and July. Of course it depends on the specific year. For example, this May was really on the wet and cool side. Plus people associate June with school ending and the start of Summer. The same can be said with regards to December. Most people would probably agree that the Winter feel really begins with Thanksgiving weekend.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I think it's because their is a noticeable change in sensible weather from May to June that you don't necessarily see between June and July. Of course it depends on the specific year. For example, this May was really on the wet and cool side. Plus people associate June with school ending and the start of Summer. The same can be said with regards to December. Most people would probably agree that the Winter feel really begins with Thanksgiving weekend.

Autumn has also gotten alot shorter so saying it starts October 1st probably isn't far off

Models are already picking up some cool fronts down the road. I mean summer is definitely not over but it for sure peaked so each day now losing daylight speeds up and that should effect our temps especially when this dumb humidity scoots south of us with some Alberta clipper type storms coming our away. Cooler weather is coming in the next two weeks!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, NewYorkweatherfan said:

Models are already picking up some cool fronts down the road. I mean summer is definitely not over but it for sure peaked so each day now losing daylight speeds up and that should effect our temps especially when this dumb humidity scoots south of us with some Alberta clipper type storms coming our away. Cooler weather is coming in the next two weeks!

You can have cold fronts any time of the year, or warm fronts for that matter. How many times have we reached the 60's or even 70's in February in recent years.

I really haven't noticed the decline in daylight yet, that usually doesn't happen until September.

4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

You can have cold fronts any time of the year, or warm fronts for that matter. How many times have we reached the 60's or even 70's in February in recent years.

I really haven't noticed the decline in daylight yet, that usually doesn't happen until September.

Also, the decline in daylight in and of itself doesnt affect the temps in August. As long as the insolation is greater than the energy radiated back to space, we warm. Once we lose more energy than we gain, we cool. The "peak" summer warmth is typically late July, first week in August, a full month after peak daylight

#Earthscience101

27 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Also, the decline in daylight in and of itself doesnt affect the temps in August. As long as the insolation is greater than the energy radiated back to space, we warm. Once we lose more energy than we gain, we cool. The "peak" summer warmth is typically late July, first week in August, a full month after peak daylight

#Earthscience101

Right, same thing goes in the winter.  We see our coldest temps well after the solstice.

I've been keenly aware of the seasonal changes for some time now, but then I'm a nerd who cares about such things and most things I do for fun and profit are influenced greatly by the sun. Solar elevation is down 6 degrees since the solstice and the day arc has sunk about 8 degrees further south, so different parts of my growing plots are receiving less sunlight and need heavier feeding/more vigilant disease control. Sunrise is 20 minutes later which has a big effect on my photography outings, and by later this weekend we'll have lost fully 25 minutes of daylight at the end of the day, so fireworks can be shot off that much earlier. Even my friends with office jobs who don't necessarily track sunrise and set times to the minute have been lamenting the fact that it's now almost completely dark by 9 pm, in contrast to earlier in the season.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, frankdp23 said:

The radar had it just over Reading when I posted that, Google gave me a distance of about 100 miles.  With lag, probably 80-90.  Whatever it was was pretty far away.