• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter, Observation and General Discussion 2018

CapturedNature

1954 was the year for "family" 'canes - cousin, aunt, great aunt, in that order.  (And Hazel is one of only 2 storms I've experienced that plastered leaf pieces on the sides of houses.  The other was a June storm near Ellsworth, Maine, but tearing up those tender pre-equinox leaves is lots easier than it is for leathery early October foliage.) 

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

It’s pretty amazing how much New England was impacted by 5 hurricanes in successive years.

then we go decades without significant ones 

Just imagine the outcry from alarmists. We’ve had it pretty good in the US even considering last year. It’s gonna come again...just like interior snowstorms. There ya go, runaway.....

3 hours ago, weathafella said:

Interior New England.  The 3 big blows were 1954.  Carol, Edna, Hazel.  I got my cane baptism that summer/fall!   

That period from '38 to '60 was a pretty incredible period of cane activity. I'd love to learn more about the '44 storm myself. I've heard it was worse than '38 on the Cape.

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Just imagine the outcry from alarmists. We’ve had it pretty good in the US even considering last year. It’s gonna come again...just like interior snowstorms. There ya go, runaway.....

If only I considered my location as ‘interior’. Because when they do come back it’s mostly 03/01 or 03/17. Quick big thump, sleet, then flurries for days as PF posts snorkeling pics at Mt Mansfield. I’ve come to realize and have become at peace with not being in the ideal big snowstorm spot. That’s you guys or interior EMA like ORH. 

They will come once or twice a decade here though, just have to appreciate it when they do. With the mini weenie getting older, and another one on the way...I’d prefer the big one waits for them to remember it anyway, and brings them as much joyful experiences and memories as it did for me when I was growing up. 

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

If only I considered my location as ‘interior’. Because when they do come back it’s mostly 03/01 or 03/17. Quick big thump, sleet, then flurries for days as PF posts pics snorkeling at Mt Mansfield. I’ve come to realize and have become at peace with not being in the ideal big snowstorm spot. That’s you guys or interior EMA like ORH. 

They will come once or twice a decade here though, just have to appreciate it when they do. With the mini weenie getting older, and another one on the way...I’d prefer the big one waits for them to remember it anyway, and brings them as much joy memories as it did for me when I was growing up. 

Congrats on the upcoming weenie! Good news. Interior or something more where longitude matters...you'd be in it. I'd say you're fairly interior...just not deep. 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Congrats on the upcoming weenie! Good news. Interior or something more where longitude matters...you'd be in it. I'd say you're fairly interior...just not deep. 

As much as I love to gripe about lame winters here, I have had a bunch of well AN snow seasons lately, including the last few.   Would love some big whopper storms in there, but I really shouldn’t complain.

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

As much as I love to gripe about lame winters here, I have had a bunch of well AN snow seasons lately, including the last few.   Would love some big whopper storms in there, but I really shouldn’t complain.

The larger void has been further west by Hippy V and beyond. My last true BN snowfall winter was 11-12. 15-16 is a bit debatable. 

3 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

If only I considered my location as ‘interior’. Because when they do come back it’s mostly 03/01 or 03/17. Quick big thump, sleet, then flurries for days as PF posts snorkeling pics at Mt Mansfield. I’ve come to realize and have become at peace with not being in the ideal big snowstorm spot. That’s you guys or interior EMA like ORH. 

They will come once or twice a decade here though, just have to appreciate it when they do. With the mini weenie getting older, and another one on the way...I’d prefer the big one waits for them to remember it anyway, and brings them as much joyful experiences and memories as it did for me when I was growing up. 

Congrats....amazing how quickly they grow, my third will be 3 months old already, time has flown by since he was born. 

7 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

The larger void has been further west by Hippy V and beyond. My last true BN snowfall winter was 11-12. 15-16 is a bit debatable. 

Hippy has had a rough stretch lacking the big one. Eyewall too, but he lives in a notoriously bad valley spot of the north. I’d rather live in Philly. Maybe the cape submurges into the atlantic in a few years so storm tracks are closer. That would be a win for many, including you since you love your man snow. 

4 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Hippy has had a rough stretch lacking the big one. Eyewall too, but he lives in a notoriously bad valley spot of the north. I’d rather live in Philly. Maybe the cape submurges into the atlantic in a few years so storm tracks are closer. That would be a win for many, including you since you love your man snow. 

Nothing beats a white and sticky man snow.

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The entire stretch of I-91 from Northampton to White River Junction VT has not been fortunate when it comes to 8"+ storms.  Last year SW VT did well but that triangle from Greenfield to Brattleboro to Keene has been brutal.