Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Spring/Summer 2018 Banter and Complaint Office

IWXwx

On 6/24/2018 at 9:42 PM, BuffaloWeather said:

Had a good friend that went to a wedding Friday night, wasn't feeling well. Went for a walk with his mom and sister around the pond, than had a brain aneurysm and died on the spot at 26 years old. Enjoy each day with your family and friends. 

Damn, I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. No person should ever have to go through something like that. My condolences and I hope you stay strong. :(

• Like 1

19 hours ago, weatherbo said:

It's Beavis getting even for all the warm talk in the middle of winter.  It ruined the whole season. 

I agree lol. Not that it ruined the season. But there was way too much severe talk in winter. I'm just surprised rather than a snow thread or something it's a wind chill thread that's going strong lol.

12 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

I agree lol. Not that it ruined the season. But there was way too much severe talk in winter. I'm just surprised rather than a snow thread or something it's a wind chill thread that's going strong lol.

I don't remember much severe talk unless there was a potential for severe.

I'm 2 miles from IWX's AFD.  I don't know how many times I check the P&C to my north just inside their AFD area and the forecasts are different than just inside IND's.  Usually not by much but occasionally  there's a decent spread.  And sometimes it just seems like they're betting with each other.  For instance, IWX has Friday as the hottest day at 95 2 miles to my north with Saturday at 93 and IND has us at 92 on Friday and 94 on Saturday for this mini heatwave.  Sometimes I wonder if the occasional beer isn't on the line or some season long bragging rights lol.  Boring weather brings about boring posts :weenie:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

I'm 2 miles from IWX's AFD.  I don't know how many times I check the P&C to my north just inside their AFD area and the forecasts are different than just inside IND's.  Usually not by much but occasionally  there's a decent spread.  And sometimes it just seems like they're betting with each other.  For instance, IWX has Friday as the hottest day at 95 2 miles to my north with Saturday at 93 and IND has us at 92 on Friday and 94 on Saturday for this mini heatwave.  Sometimes I wonder if the occasional beer isn't on the line or some season long bragging rights lol.  Boring weather brings about boring posts :weenie:

I always check IND's discussions as well as IWX's even though I'm well north of their forecast area. I just like to see how differently mets interpret basically the same data. Also, after living in Blackford and Grant counties for the first 45 years of my life, I was in the same boat as you in living so close to two NWS CWAs.

EDIT: I feel like Hoosier had a pretty good explanation as to how there can be differences in forecasts in the other thread. He mentioned that temps aloft will cool slightly on Saturday, but having a warmer start may nullify the effects of slightly cooler temps aloft. Then you need to determine whether mixing heights projections are accurate....I'm glad I'm not a forecaster.

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

How do you guys think I felt when I was in LAF?  Benton/White/Tippecanoe counties are covered by 3 different offices, and LAF is not that far from that point where the 3 counties meet.  :P

Just take your favorite forecast and run with it.

Was speaking with a buddy of mine who is a farmer. He was saying that most of the guys with corn in are real concerned that with how wet it has been, the corn hasn’t had to “dig down” to find moisture. This leads to a much shallower root structure, increasing the susceptibility to blow downs with summertime storms. Already had some corn blown down around here from yesterday’s storms, along with a good amount of tree damage to the golf course in sycamore. A good derecho/severe wind event would cause havoc with how waterlogged everything is. 

On 6/26/2018 at 7:07 PM, Hoosier said:

I can't recall seeing that big of a 600 dm area on a prog in the US

*Image Removed*

On 6/27/2018 at 12:49 AM, Hoosier said:

Still on 00z

By the way, that is also a freakish latitudinal expanse of the 594+ area. Almost to the Canadian border and then southward into Mexico.

*Image Removed*

These maps are what I dream of when I have heatwaves on my mind :lol:. Those runs I saved. I wouldn't mind frolicking in CO and AZ when that 600 dm pops nearby. Last nights GFS 00z run (Hr 234) had a 603 dm line over CO, I haven't seen that before!

6 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Was speaking with a buddy of mine who is a farmer. He was saying that most of the guys with corn in are real concerned that with how wet it has been, the corn hasn’t had to “dig down” to find moisture. This leads to a much shallower root structure, increasing the susceptibility to blow downs with summertime storms. Already had some corn blown down around here from yesterday’s storms, along with a good amount of tree damage to the golf course in sycamore. A good derecho/severe wind event would cause havoc with how waterlogged everything is. 

Yeah, I noticed in the pictures posted from the weak EF-1 tornado that touched down in Gifford/Rantoul the corn was blown over practically laying completely flat. 

Here in Champaign county we have been pretty waterlogged as well, some areas in the county have recorded 10” this month. I will say however, the corn crop looks incredibly healthy, with tassling already occurring. The earliest I can recall.

3 hours ago, bowtie` said:

You really need to learn to relax a little. It is sort of comical. I bet some intern was giggling in his or her franchise coffee while making that graphic.

Lol, those are sarcastic frowns. I knew it was a joke haha

On 5/17/2018 at 7:25 PM, Stebo said:

I saw this earlier on twitter and I couldn't believe it but it is true

Dda3RR5V4AEQzcn.jpg

Nearly 3 years since DTX/GRR has had a tornado watch issued.

Marquette back at 0 with today's watch. The streak of the lack of severe weather in lower mi is really quite remarkable

• Like 1