• Member Statistics

    15,569
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    HunterMT
    Newest Member
    HunterMT
    Joined
Sign in to follow this  
nj2va

March 20/21 STORM Obs/Discussion- No Banter

Recommended Posts

16 minutes ago, Jandurin said:

Wait till you're old
My parents have 14 acres and it's like

How long you gonna keep doing that

I've guy 2/3 which is more than enough - helps that I back up to an unused portion of rock creek

The plan is to retire to Colorado when I get my pension at 58. For now this is perfect. Plus in a few years my son will be a big help. He already "helps" but it usually creates more work for me. :) 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Thanks. I think it's every bit worth the commute. It's nice in the summer too when it's 90 in the city and 80 with a breeze here. 

 

Might need to look into moving into that area once I'm out of college. Looks absolutely gorgeous :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The plan is to retire to Colorado when I get my pension at 58. For now this is perfect. Plus in a few years my son will be a big help. He already "helps" but it usually creates more work for me. :) 

colorado has been tempting to me...several times...but that lack of a beach within driving distance is a little bit of a snag.  their 4 seasons and color changes, etc, also isn't what it's like here.  if you can get past that, you like powdery snow, and just generally being out in the open plains...that's the place.  it's a great area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

The plan is to retire to Colorado when I get my pension at 58. For now this is perfect. Plus in a few years my son will be a big help. He already "helps" but it usually creates more work for me. :) 

My wife's cousin and husband who grew up in the Philly area moved to Colorado (just south of Denver) about 10 years ago and they absolutely LOVE it out there.  They say it surpasses the east coast in every way, except the beach.  But they get that every two years with our VA Beach family reunion trips.  They also had a nice A-frame house built just outside of Breckenridge and they zip up there frequently in winter.  Must be nice!

How long is your commute -- you work in Baltimore?  If we had telework two days a week like now, I might have located somewhere further out (I ride MARC train into DC).  Besides being in a bad snow area, I also am tired of having houses 30 feet from my back wall.

I have always wondered what Parrs Ridge would be like if it was say 3,000 feet.  Can you imagine that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

My wife's cousin and husband who grew up in the Philly area moved to Colorado (just south of Denver) about 10 years ago and they absolutely LOVE it out there.  They say it surpasses the east coast in every way, except the beach.  But they get that every two years with our VA Beach family reunion trips.  They also had a nice A-frame house built just outside of Breckenridge and they zip up there frequently in winter.  Must be nice!

How long is your commute -- you work in Baltimore?  If we had telework two days a week like now, I might have located somewhere further out (I ride MARC train into DC).  Besides being in a bad snow area, I also am tired of having houses 30 feet from my back wall.

I have always wondered what Parrs Ridge would be like if it was say 3,000 feet.  Can you imagine that?

I have family in Denver and have been out there dozens of time. Probably will move to a mountain town like Steamboat. 

If Parrs were 3000 ft it would be like Cannan Valley. Not quite as much upslope because the ridges to the west take out some of that moisture but would get obliterated even more then they do and I already do from coastals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

USDA fields north of greenbelt are such an interesting microclimate. Fields are still snow covered this morning. Only direct south facing slopes are bare. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, gymengineer said:

Several sources pointed out yesterday that this was DCA's biggest true-spring snowstorm since 1964. 

CWG's map for the event shows a really unusual snowfall pattern for a late season storm in our area--- no city to suburb gradient based on elevation.  (I know it's off in various locations--- just showing the general "look")

20180321.png&w=1484

I wonder how many years we've had more snow outside of winter than within.  At my house, I had 3" in fall, 3.75" in winter, and 4" in spring.  Say what you will about this winter, but having 3.5  months between the two biggest snowfalls is a rarity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, gymengineer said:

Several sources pointed out yesterday that this was DCA's biggest true-spring snowstorm since 1964. 

CWG's map for the event shows a really unusual snowfall pattern for a late season storm in our area--- no city to suburb gradient based on elevation.  (I know it's off in various locations--- just showing the general "look")

20180321.png&w=1484

Looks correct for Calvert- somehow I got the jackpot bands late morning and again in the afternoon. Most spotter reports (including mine) were between 7-8”

Literally all the snow in my yard was melted by yesterday afternoon though. :-(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Looks correct for Calvert- somehow I got the jackpot bands late morning and again in the afternoon. Most spotter reports (including mine) were between 7-8”

Literally all the snow in my yard was melted by yesterday afternoon though. :-(

Wow. How warm did it get down there yesterday?  It hit 51F here in Clarksburg but this is what my whopping 3.1” from the storm looks like right now:  

1276EB7C-F932-4199-90A0-D7C50437E0A9.thumb.jpeg.e4be2a9bbf7051508d979a1deb35eefd.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, das said:

Wow. How warm did it get down there yesterday?  It hit 51F here in Clarksburg but this is what my whopping 3.1” from the storm looks like right now:  

A few of us talked about this yesterday and concluded think that all of the sleet that fell in the northern areas on Tuesday is keeping the snow pack healthier.  I'm betting that when I get home today, I'll still have complete snow coverage in the shaded areas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My snow took a beating yesterday. Depth went from 14" to about 8" average. But it froze up solid last night so now it might hang on a few days. But it's Spring I'm not complaining. I'm ready for warm now. I got my one big storm. I'm happy.

my 3 year old is funny. He was upset when he saw the water dropping off the roof yesterday and said oh no the snow is melting. And I tried to placate him by pointing out soon we can play outside with his toys and tractor and go to the park and open the pool...and he said I like doing all those things but I don't want the snow to melt. Lol.  Just like me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay so total here was 5.8”, but almost certainly over 6” at the peak. I came down with a nasty infection right before the melting started, so I wasn’t able to measure the peak.

5.8” is good, not amazing, but the snowfall rates were incredible. 5.1” in 3 hours.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@das

It was in the upper-40's I think. Unfortunately most of my property is around the south and west side of the house in full sun. 

I also have a steep hill in the backyard that's very nice for sled riding but melts about 10 minutes after it snows anytime in March lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2018 at 1:15 PM, gymengineer said:

Several sources pointed out yesterday that this was DCA's biggest true-spring snowstorm since 1964. 

CWG's map for the event shows a really unusual snowfall pattern for a late season storm in our area--- no city to suburb gradient based on elevation.  (I know it's off in various locations--- just showing the general "look")

20180321.png&w=1484

So I guess it wasn't simply elevation-dependent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mattie g said:

So I guess it wasn't simply elevation-dependent.

one thing i noticed during the storm which concerned me a bit is the low circulation was almost right overhead.  i think we needed that 500 and 850 low further south (not to mention it didn't really phase until offshore), so it's not surprising to me that areas to the north or even east did better.  we kinda did end up in the screw zone in the afternoon hours, to an extent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snow cover is doing very well here.  Roofs of houses that face south still have several inches.  Across my property depth ranges from 6" to 9" after two days of sun and highs in the mid 40's.  All the local baseball, softball and lacrosse practices and games are cancelled this weekend with fields still 100% covered.  My 7:00 a.m. snow depth reports this week look great for late March.

3/24--   7.0"

3/23--   9.0"

3/22-- 12.0"

3/21-- 10.0"

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/22/2018 at 7:28 PM, psuhoffman said:

The plan is to retire to Colorado when I get my pension at 58. For now this is perfect. Plus in a few years my son will be a big help. He already "helps" but it usually creates more work for me. :) 

Son REALLY wants me to move out there when I retire in 4-6 years. It is enticing, to say the very least.

Every time I go out there to visit it is a bit harder to board the plane back lol. Headed out  for two weeks in May. Already was out there in Feb and likely will go back in late July. Now if I could just find a house for a decent price in the area........:wacko:

My snow took a pounding from the sun angle yesterday, I called it a 1.5 on average with south facing slopes going bare, down from 4 and 8 and 8 previous days.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still have about 90% coverage here, going on our 5th straight day, which is easily longer than any time during the actual winter. North facing roofs are still almost fully covered, but south facing roofs are not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, T. August said:

Crazy that some still have coverage. I lost 100% by yesterday morning. That stuff was blasted to oblivion.

Yeah I still had about 70% coverage(2-3") yesterday morning, but by the end of the day most of of it was gone. A 7" snowfall with 2 full days of late March sun and temps in the mid to upper 40s is not going to be around long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2018 at 7:55 AM, psuhoffman said:

I have family in Denver and have been out there dozens of time. Probably will move to a mountain town like Steamboat. 

If Parrs were 3000 ft it would be like Cannan Valley. Not quite as much upslope because the ridges to the west take out some of that moisture but would get obliterated even more then they do and I already do from coastals. 

If there was a 3000 ft hill on the middle of the eastern shore there would be a bunch more snow too lol. Unfortunately, 60-100 feet is about the max.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.