Newest Member
    joxey
March 20th-22nd Suppressed, Fish, Not Coming Threat

Rjay

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Gravity Wave said:

I know, I'm just scarred from the last 3 white rain slizzards.

Euro and Ukmet never showed the last 3 events with below 32 degrees at the surface.

This time both models are and so is the GFS. I am still cautious, but this looks great for NYC as well.

1 minute ago, triniiphone said:

since the first storm, ive been hearing "this one is going to be colder so its all snow" how did that turn out? lol

ill believe it when i see it!

There's a HUGE difference between a temp profile that supports snow but still has surface temps above freezing and a temp profile that's below freezing to the surface. 

Should the globals' temp profile prove correct, we'd have no problem accumulating. It's just a matter of them vs. the NAM, which shows some issues.

1 minute ago, Gravity Wave said:

Thanks for the reassuring replies. This is my first winter in NYC; I grew up in Allentown and went to school in upstate NY so I'm not super familiar with local climo.

Welcome to the city. Speaking for myself, having grown up west of Baltimore, there are a ton more snow chances than I was used to growing up, but the heat island can definitely be frustrating in borderline setups. Looking forward to a storm that doesn't have temp issues. 

13 minutes ago, Wetbulbs88 said:

Welcome to the city. Speaking for myself, having grown up west of Baltimore, there are a ton more snow chances than I was used to growing up, but the heat island can definitely be frustrating in borderline setups. Looking forward to a storm that doesn't have temp issues. 

Yeah, pre-2009-10 was dismal being in EPA. Few storms and the ones that did come up smacked the coast or the Poconos, leaving me fringed or raining. Between Jan. 1996 and Feb. 2010 I think KABE only had one double-digit snowfall (PDII; Feb. 2006 might have gotten there at the airport but not at my house). Things have definitely been more exciting recently.

E: Sorry for the off-topic.

2 minutes ago, Blizzard-on-GFS said:

I love how the NAM is the new midrange king. It’s literally sniffed out almost every storm this year before the other models. Kind of hilarious. Recent upgrades have been tremendous. 

it's amazing-this model used to be a laughingstock.

Just now, bluewave said:

While the surface is plenty cold, the Euro did have a sneaky warm layer between 800-850 mb closer to the coast. Hopefully, later runs will trend away from this.

KFRG_2018031900_xt_ll_240.thumb.png.ddbca6f57d657e64b12606b0f0ceeae7.png

Long Island almost always battles sleet in these setups until the CCB gets cranking. Once that takes over, I believe this is all snow right to Riverhead.

12 minutes ago, Ericjcrash said:

Doubtful. I had incredibly low visibilites for quite sometime that day. Awesome stuff.

Yeah, that storm was a whiteout for a couple of hours.  Had there been more blocking, Jan 4th would have been an all time great.

In any event, the Euro has my attention but a lot can still go wrong so I'm cautiously optimistic.

• BxEngine locked this topic
  • Rjay unlocked this topic
  • Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived