• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 7th 2018 Coastal Storm thread (not obs)

Rjay

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, sferic said:

March of last year how tremendous hope for NYC/LI eased west as did heaviest snows, hope this isn't a repeat of that.

The EPS has a decent number of coastal hugger tracks that would likely be west enough to change us over and dryslot. I would temper expectations unless models like the NAM come east. 

1 minute ago, sferic said:

March of last year how tremendous hope for NYC/LI eased west as did heaviest snows, hope this isn't a repeat of that.

I seem to have read about how the blocking would keep these storms ( the last one too ) from moving too far east ( which has been another problem ) but it seems now they are going west. When going east we seem to get less precip but its frozen, west its lots of precip but sleet and rain....or snow that doesn't accumulate.

Just now, jm1220 said:

The EPS has a decent number of coastal hugger tracks that would likely be west enough to change us over and dryslot. I would temper expectations unless models like the NAM come east. 

Yeah my expectations are always tempered these days. This time of the year should favor inland areas. It's like you can see it coming.

Guidance shifting west like this ain't good and there's still a full 24-36 hrs of model shifts to go. Seems like this could easily ride the NJ coast. 

However it's a very tightly wound system, which could allow it to snow just NW of the low. 

Those inland who suffered from outages are going to get hammered again. 

A turn into SE NJ wouldnt normally be bad because the metro would initially get rocked.  Then dry slot or rain then go back to heavy snow but the system undergoes somewhat of a semi occlusion on a bunch of the tucked guidance and the backside precip basically dies as the low pulls out across areas east of LI.  I’m not sure that’s believable or not  

I agree. Still possible the metro area is smacked, but...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, USCG RS said:

I agree. Still possible the metro area is smacked, but...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Posters like you and JM are seeing the data and have reason to think this may be another less than ideal situation for us. I tend to give this serious weight.

2 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Posters like you and JM are seeing the data and have reason to think this may be another less than ideal situation for us. I tend to give this serious weight.

This is what I remember growing up in the snow challenged 70’s and 80’s.   Any marginal set up resulted in cold and rain.   Snow was always “north and west of the city” according to 1010 WINS.  Snow was hard to come by

2 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

This is what I remember growing up in the snow challenged 70’s and 80’s.   Any marginal set up resulted in cold and rain.   Snow was always “north and west of the city” according to 1010 WINS.  Snow was hard to come by

True, but these juiced and stronger storms weren't as common where dynamics would help out in marginal airmasses.

2 minutes ago, 495weatherguy said:

Yes, most of the time, and a big hit, with a few exceptions, was around 4-8 inches, and 8 was high. Once in awhile you'd get a 78 style blizzard, or an 83 one. So I'm not bullish on this storm yet; I don't like the trends, and most of all, the March curse....again I could be misinterpreting the data but I doubt JM and USCG RS are...

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived