Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Median to above confidence for moderate (major?) impact event, midweek

Typhoon Tip

47 minutes ago, DomNH said:

We covered it at UML, but without very much forecast application. 

Still brutal, but I think right after I graduated they started to implement more forecasting classes and less hardcore dynamics/physics classes. My class took the full brunt of it.

Lol...the dream of every met major that is also a weenie. 

I see that calc is a big preqreq of a lot of met programs.  What part does calculus play in meteorology or in earning a met degree?  Iow, why is calculus an integral skill?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ginx snewx said:

What do think for us this storm? Ride the Euro? Amounts?

Better than the last one lol. I think it pounds but we do risk changeover at some point if it tracks too tight. I like Ryan's map but I might hedge more towards 6-10 for us instead of 3-6. We shall see. 

46 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Lol the guy just said it again that it’s moving a long on TWC...go figure???? No slow movement or possible stahl in their discussion/synopsis.

They probably think like others, That Maine is in canada.

2 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Im still upset he was banned

Wiki leaks?

Just now, JC-CT said:

Better than the last one lol. I think it pounds but we do risk changeover at some point if it tracks too tight. I like Ryan's map but I might hedge more towards 6-10 for us instead of 3-6. We shall see. 

Nice Ya know I am like Scooter even though we didn't have snow that was a KU storm to me. I was stunned at the Gravity waves, you could time the gusts looking at radar. That 94 gust on BID GWave passed over my head and rotated down there. I checked my work Anemometer at the top of the 325 ft Obs tower, gust was 92 , wow. High gust at 30 feet was 59, highest ever

13 minutes ago, CTWeatherFreak said:

I see that calc is a big preqreq of a lot of met programs.  What part does calculus play in meteorology or in earning a met degree?  Iow, why is calculus an integral skill?

Because you need to understand the calculus to understand how the equations that govern the atmosphere work, and working with those equations is a huge part of met classes.

I don't think there is a met program that doesn't require having multi-variable calculus and differential equations before taking the advanced met classes. 

32 minutes ago, CTWeatherFreak said:

I'm going to have to end my spree of relentless lurking to chuckle at calculus being an "integral skill". Tautologically true!

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

We covered all of that in plym in meso. 

http://www.plymouth.edu/graduate/files/2011/12/MT548001Koermer.pdf

When I went it was in the late 70 early 80's. Like it or not it was calc, calc, calc. Many of the true geeks I went with went on to write some of these models. But, I get off track. Dend,,,, my favorite part of the synopsis was describing 'bathroom break'. It was a LOOOONG time ago but that brought back memories. THANK YOU

True I like the path of the redeveloping L.P. like Jan 12th 2011

Oh yeah, forgot about that one, i was thinking the on on I think the 24-25...that month was nuts i had 37" on snow on my roof by month end, there was a norlun in there too that hit my area good

Lol I remembered I took 3 too , loved Hydrology and Organic Chem. You have done a lot with it!

Lol...the calc part was a waste for me.  Gawd those classes were hard.  Glad I got to take stats and Fortran for math requirements after those. 

My favorite undergrad classes were glacial and Pleistocene geology, Hydro, Anything with Dr. Eby, who is still there...

Archived