Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2018 Discussion

Frog Town

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, GreenBo said:

Late winter sun is doing its thing today. Lots of melting and drying on the surface roads around the area. Pack is slightly compacting too. Stick a fork in the snow pack by weeks end. A few opportunities for SW winds and 40s. Typical La Niña 

We will not lose this big snowpack by weeks end. It will definitely melt some though. 

13 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Tremendous icicle production around here the past few days.  The sun is warm enough that there's been a decent amount of melting on the rooftops.  Seeing many houses with ice daggers of death more than 5-6 feet long dangling towards the ground.

Got down to -3 this morning.

Same here.  Some of them are just huge. Would not want to be walking in downtown Chicago in the coming days lol

Tremendous icicle production around here the past few days.  The sun is warm enough that there's been a decent amount of melting on the rooftops.  Seeing many houses with ice daggers of death more than 5-6 feet long dangling towards the ground.
Got down to -3 this morning.
Here's the largest one on the front of my house. 6c0c99c1415a4eab79d8ff707cfa02ee.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That east ridge is pure silliness. GFS showing some 70s as far north as NY by next week, and looks like some of our Ohio posters could see temps even warmer than last Feb. 

This month had the potential to be very warm for the entire subforum, just got unlucky (per usual).  

It doesn’t even make sense that we’ve been as cold as we have lately. Almost seems like a miracle as teleconnections haven’t been favorable for cold at all, and we’re still in the warm phase of the MJO I believe. 

Troughs just love to magically appear out of nowhere it seems. 

1 hour ago, cmillzz said:

It doesn’t even make sense that we’ve been as cold as we have lately. Almost seems like a miracle as teleconnections haven’t been favorable for cold at all, and we’re still in the warm phase of the MJO I believe. 

Troughs just love to magically appear out of nowhere it seems. 

Geographically, it makes sense. 

They do make medications to help with ‘SAD’. See your doc, winter is a sure thing at least until April around the lakes. 

6 hours ago, cmillzz said:

That east ridge is pure silliness. GFS showing some 70s as far north as NY by next week, and looks like some of our Ohio posters could see temps even warmer than last Feb. 

This month had the potential to be very warm for the entire subforum, just got unlucky (per usual).  

Not in THIS subforum lol.

Actually, all 3 winter months should finish colder than normal at Detroit.

I did not realize this until I heard elsewhere....

But thru Feb 11th, Detroit was sitting at 3rd snowiest winter on record to that point.

The top 5 snowiest seasons THRU FEB 11

1.) 70.8" - 2013-14

2.) 56.9" - 1977-78

3.) 52.5" - 2017-18

4.) 51.4" - 1974-75

5.) 50.4" - 1929-30

We still need 6 more inches before we crack into top 20 all time snowiest winters, but again, it just serves as a reminder that we still have 2 months of measurable snow potential to go, and that its been a very snowy winter so far.

8 hours ago, GreenBo said:

Geographically, it makes sense. 

They do make medications to help with ‘SAD’. See your doc, winter is a sure thing at least until April around the lakes. 

It was well into the 80s for many days back in March 2012... 

29 minutes ago, GreenBo said:

The odds of ever seeing a Morch again are slim to none. At least, not in this lifetime. Que the cool lake breezes and 50s until late April. 

2010 was a Morch, and then two years later, 2012 was an even bigger one. I guess it's dependent on your definition of "Morch" but it will happen from time to time.

I'm pretty sure there were a few quasi-Morch Marches in the 1990s though I can't remember exactly when.

4 minutes ago, snowstormcanuck said:

2010 was a Morch, and then two years later, 2012 was an even bigger one. I guess it's dependent on your definition of "Morch" but it will happen from time to time.

I'm pretty sure there were a few quasi-Morch Marches in the 1990s though I can't remember exactly when.

I think the 2012 reference coincided with a week long stretch of 80s. I believe you have to go back to the 1940s to find a close match. Very anomalous. 

Archived