Newest Member
    joxey
February 2018 Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, bluewave said:

At least for the DJF period, we got an abbreviated but potent dose of winter from 12/8-1/8. We can't complain since we saw a 950 mb blizzard and the second coldest 12/26-1/8 period on record. Part of the new weather extremes pattern that is becoming the new normal around here.

People west of NYC can complain because they got much less snow from the blizzard. Many places in NJ got only a few inches from the blizzard. This will end up being a bad winter for those places if we don't get a significant late season snowstorm. Early March is still prime snow season, so hopefully we can pull off a snowstorm then if we don't get one in late February. We need one to avoid having a well below average snowfall season. I know the coast is a different story since they cashed in with the blizzard.

1 hour ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

Winter is not over guys it’s the middle of it and late February and the beginning of March will produce all teleconnections depict that we’ll get cold and snowy times around that time after a warm 10 days

I don't see that, as we get closer the teles get worse and trend warmer, a clear sign that a change is not coming.

13 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

I don't see that, as we get closer the teles get worse and trend warmer, a clear sign that a change is not coming.

that's the issue-it keeps getting pushed back and back....when it's always day 10+ it's probably not coming.   Hopefully we get a rogue storm at some point but the hope of a sustained cold/snowy pattern is quickly diminishing....

1 hour ago, dWave said:

Once again anomalous warmth seems to always overachieve

The only time this new rule doesn't seem to work out for us is on spring days with backdoor cold fronts. And that is probably the one time that most people want the overachieving warmth the most.;)

8 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The only time this new rule doesn't seem to work out for us is on spring days with backdoor cold fronts. And that is probably the one time that most people want the overachieving warmth the most.;)

Yeah back door cold fronts from late March to early June are one of most depressing weather setups to me. Especially the extreme gradients when its around 70 in Philly, damm near 80 in Bmore but drizzle and 48 here. Once the snow threat is gone dreary days in the 40s and 50s are no fun. Such is spring near the coast. The LI ppl can attest to that even more.

20 minutes ago, dWave said:

Yeah back door cold fronts from late March to early June are one of most depressing weather setups to me. Especially the extreme gradients when its around 70 in Philly, damm near 80 in Bmore but drizzle and 48 here. Once the snow threat is gone dreary days in the 40s and 50s are no fun. Such is spring near the coast. The LI ppl can attest to that even more.

Backdoor cold fronts are the worst—seems to me they have been more frequent recently, as a kid in the 70’s and 80’s they didn’t seem to be as prevalent

10 hours ago, Snow88 said:

HM thinks the the Mid Atlantic hasn't seen their best snowstorm yet this winter.

Seems like a lot of people like March.

Seems like the only 2 who think spring is here for the duration are NY NJ PA and Wxrisk - any others ? .

Archived