Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Public Service Announcement - Please Read

Bob Chill

8 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Ugh

just this December we had a 2-6" event across the region. 

In 2016 there was a 4-8" feb storm D.C. South and the northern 1/3 of the area had a 3-6" storm that month too. 

In 2015 there were several 4"+ events in feb and early march. 

Your memory seems to be missing recent good snows. 

You aren't really correct.

For DC

2013-2014 32 inches (ok good year)

2014-2015- 18.3 inches. (that is barely climo) Nothing impressive here.

2015-2016- 22.3 Even so slightly above average. Again this is not impressive. 18 inches of which was from one storm that dry slotted certain areas.

That is certain not a record breaking stretch at all. It also comes off the heels of of 3 years where DC had a total of 15 inches of snow. Yes 3 years=15 inches. 7 of which came from one storm.

Unless this is wrong, that is a bad stretch.

Annual_Snowfall1.jpg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

For DC

2015-2016- 22.3 Even so slightly above average. Again this is not impressive. 18 inches of which was from one storm that dry slotted certain areas.

That is certain not a record breaking stretch at all. It also comes off the heels of of 3 years where DC had a total of 15 inches of snow. Yes 3 years=15 inches. 7 of which came from one storm.

Unless this is wrong, that is a bad stretch.

Annual_Snowfall1.jpg

You realize big winters like 13/14 are not the norm, right? Same with 09/10... those are blockbuster winters that come every so often. 

Climo is ~18 inches for a reason

It seems to me your expectations need to be dialed back a bit. 

16 minutes ago, Mdecoy said:

For DC

The problem is EXACTLY what I thought it was, you and probably MANY others here...are not accepting the reality of your snow climo.  So here are the last 30 snowfall years in DC

5.7, 15.3, 8.1, 6.6, 11.7, 13.2, 10.1, 46, 6.7, 0.1, 11.6, 15.4, 7.4, 3.2, 40.4, 12.4, 12.5, 13.6, 9.5, 4.9, 7.5, 56.1, 10.1 ,2.0, 3.1, 32, 18.3, 22.2, 3.4

The average during the last 30 years is 14.1"

THAT IS CLIMO.... that is reality.  You are taking a sh!t on 2015 and 2016....REALLY... look at that damn list, there were only 4 years in the last 30 better then those 2 years and your crapping on them like they were MEH!  You are not in line with reality.  You seem to think we have the climo of Albany or something.  

Here is what you need to realize, in the last 30 years there were ONLY 8 years that DC had over 15" of snow.  In 22/30, which is 73% of the time (THE VAST MAJORITY) the snowfall fell between 0.1 and 13.6".  THAT IS OUR NORMAL WINTER.   If you take out the 8 FLUKE winters in the last 30 that we got lucky and had a good snow pattern, the average of the other 22 is ONLY 7.8".  THAT IS YOUR REALITY.  The average freaking winter in DC is 7.8".  

So if you are taking a crap on a winter with 18" like you just did, that means you are going to subject us to this BS nonsense 87 percent of the time?  Because 87% of winters are worse then that.  You are setting a bar where you are goine to be whining and complaining and acting like the freaking sky is falling 80-90 percent of the time acting like we are having a CRAP winter when in reality we are having exactly what you should expect 73% of the time.  You obviously just have a problem with the reality of what winter is like around here.  When DC gets 8" of snow in a winter that is NOT getting screwed, that is getting what a typical normal winter is around here.  

18 minutes ago, mappy said:

You realize big winters like 13/14 are not the norm, right? Same with 09/10... those are blockbuster winters that come every so often. 

Climo is ~18 inches for a reason

It seems to me your expectations need to be dialed back a bit. 

Oh I totally get that 09/10 is like a 1 in 200 year winter.

But its basic math. If 18 is average, and we have had an average of 13 inches in the last 7 winter, (not even counting the crap this year). That is with that over rated blizzard.

That is BELOW AVERAGE. So the calls of "oh things are record breaking and stuff....." Is just not accurate. It can be spun however it wants to be spun up, the math doesn't lie.

1 minute ago, Mdecoy said:

Oh I totally get that 09/10 is like a 1 in 200 year winter.

But its basic math. If 18 is average, and we have had an average of 13 inches in the last 7 winter, (not even counting the crap this year). That is with that over rated blizzard.

That is BELOW AVERAGE. So the calls of "oh things are record breaking and stuff....." Is just not accurate. It can be spun however it wants to be spun up, the math doesn't lie.

OK. this will be the last post on this topic in this thread. there is a banter thread and a panic room thread for you to whine and complain in. thanks. 

For the record, this is what one stretch of the last long-range thread looked like for me. It's so much more enjoyable. And now it's easier to put users on Ignore--just hover your mouse over their user name and click on Ignore User (then finish the process on the next page).

I don't think people who contribute very little should have any expectation of being read.

ignore.jpg

I started in the early 2000s at Wright Weather, 2004 on Eastern, 40 South, and American since the beginning. The WX boards are and always have been filled with great and shiitty posters. I've come to the conclusion that taking the good with the bad is just how it goes. I know who to read and who not to read.

That said, I rarely post my thoughts(which I think are beneficial fwiw) because certain butthurt posters get mad when the weather truth doesn't fit what they want and they proceed to tear you down. It's self-defeating and typically the reason why a majority of our excellent members over the years have gone away. It is what it is, and it will never change....

3 hours ago, jacindc said:

For the record, this is what one stretch of the last long-range thread looked like for me. It's so much more enjoyable. And now it's easier to put users on Ignore--just hover your mouse over their user name and click on Ignore User (then finish the process on the next page).

I don't think people who contribute very little should have any expectation of being read.

ignore.jpg

Yeah, I finally resorted to using the ignore function. Now, as long as other people don't quote the whining posts...

2 hours ago, Round Hill WX said:

I started in the early 2000s at Wright Weather, 2004 on Eastern, 40 South, and American since the beginning. The WX boards are and always have been filled with great and shiitty posters. I've come to the conclusion that taking the good with the bad is just how it goes. I know who to read and who not to read.

That said, I rarely post my thoughts(which I think are beneficial fwiw) because certain butthurt posters get mad when the weather truth doesn't fit what they want and they proceed to tear you down. It's self-defeating and typically the reason why a majority of our excellent members over the years have gone away. It is what it is, and it will never change....

This mirrors my time frame  and experience and at times it was obvious board cared more about conflict posters than solid weather contributors

The Siedels, Bastardis,Drag, Cosgroves, Toleris are long gone and driven away by 1-2 who still remain and still b**ch and snipe 

1 hour ago, Tenman Johnson said:

This mirrors my time frame  and experience and at times it was obvious board cared more about conflict posters than solid weather contributors

The Siedels, Bastardis,Drag, Cosgroves, Toleris are long gone and driven away by 1-2 who still remain and still b**ch and snipe 

In fairness a lot of those guys left to do their own thing and make money at it. And a couple of them were quite abrasive at times. I get it that no one wants to listen to people b**ch and moan. But that is what the ignore feature is for. Do we really want to be censoring what people are on saying on a DISCUSSION board? I am fine with strict monitoring of the model threads. But we are ALL here because we are weather fans. People's opinions should be heard IMO.

Long story short, just choose the right threads to post in to CYA in case people snip. This way at least the “you’re in the wrong thread” topic shouldn’t come up. It doesn’t have to be perfect, but there’s people (including myself) who can stand to improve on it.

On 1/29/2018 at 3:42 PM, 87storms said:

Long story short, just choose the right threads to post in to CYA in case people snip. This way at least the “you’re in the wrong thread” topic shouldn’t come up. It doesn’t have to be perfect, but there’s people (including myself) who can stand to improve on it.

I agree

On 1/29/2018 at 8:25 AM, psuhoffman said:

The problem is EXACTLY what I thought it was, you and probably MANY others here...are not accepting the reality of your snow climo.  So here are the last 30 snowfall years in DC

5.7, 15.3, 8.1, 6.6, 11.7, 13.2, 10.1, 46, 6.7, 0.1, 11.6, 15.4, 7.4, 3.2, 40.4, 12.4, 12.5, 13.6, 9.5, 4.9, 7.5, 56.1, 10.1 ,2.0, 3.1, 32, 18.3, 22.2, 3.4

The average during the last 30 years is 14.1"

THAT IS CLIMO.... that is reality.  You are taking a sh!t on 2015 and 2016....REALLY... look at that damn list, there were only 4 years in the last 30 better then those 2 years and your crapping on them like they were MEH!  You are not in line with reality.  You seem to think we have the climo of Albany or something.  

Here is what you need to realize, in the last 30 years there were ONLY 8 years that DC had over 15" of snow.  In 22/30, which is 73% of the time (THE VAST MAJORITY) the snowfall fell between 0.1 and 13.6".  THAT IS OUR NORMAL WINTER.   If you take out the 8 FLUKE winters in the last 30 that we got lucky and had a good snow pattern, the average of the other 22 is ONLY 7.8".  THAT IS YOUR REALITY.  The average freaking winter in DC is 7.8".  

So if you are taking a crap on a winter with 18" like you just did, that means you are going to subject us to this BS nonsense 87 percent of the time?  Because 87% of winters are worse then that.  You are setting a bar where you are goine to be whining and complaining and acting like the freaking sky is falling 80-90 percent of the time acting like we are having a CRAP winter when in reality we are having exactly what you should expect 73% of the time.  You obviously just have a problem with the reality of what winter is like around here.  When DC gets 8" of snow in a winter that is NOT getting screwed, that is getting what a typical normal winter is around here.  

Thanks for straightening me up, lol. I have had 4 inches this year. I'm happy. We have had far worse winters. I need to dial the expectations back slightly.

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

I've come into this thread assuming it's an thread that made a PSA on the danger of sending your kids to school on a day when there's a glaze of ice on your windshield and half-wet roads.

I’ll give you credit, you never give up. Persistence has to count for something.

Archived