• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
January Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

CMC and JMA have a coastal next weekend and cold enough....0z eps weak front off coast. 12z eps should be interesting. Then theres the euro op. Never thought I would say it but looks like the euro is out to lunch with the handling of the ull over the gulf early to mid week. Ends up hanging it there then gets phased into a cutter. Could be right, could be wrong. Seems suspect to me.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GEFS keeps the -EPO ridge going strong through about hr270. Then the GOA trough swings in and it’s torch city. Actually the pattern on the GEFS looks decent around the 14-16th before the torch. Nice PNA ridge axis and the WAR nearby to keep the flow backed toward us. After the 16th it’s a torch, but the AO is clearly negative, maybe quite negative. 
AO is going to cause lr forecasters fits.

2 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:
21 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:
GEFS keeps the -EPO ridge going strong through about hr270. Then the GOA trough swings in and it’s torch city. Actually the pattern on the GEFS looks decent around the 14-16th before the torch. Nice PNA ridge axis and the WAR nearby to keep the flow backed toward us. After the 16th it’s a torch, but the AO is clearly negative, maybe quite negative. 

AO is going to cause lr forecasters fits.

Reminds me of Dec 2012

Going against my own advice looking out in la la land but GEPS flipped in the lr......-ao/-nao.....trof retrograding to W AK and subsequently you can see the epo ridge trying to show up in response. I think any crud look is transient. Biggest takeaway I am seeing lr is we FINALLY are seeing some sort of ATL help on most ens even if just a muted signal. WAR signal there as well. Im sure the look will change, the lr has been inconsistent all season. But IF the GEPS has any clue shortly after this period we could be setting up for a revisit to cold and even more active of a pattern later in the month. The way we get there we will need to see the rain to get to the rainbow, but again, I think any "thaw" or crud look is short lived and transient during a reload. Doom and gloom talk (not you Bob or the other veterans) should be taken with many grains of salt. We cant stay -10 BN or more all month. At some point the cold runs out. It almost always does for a brief spell. I dont ever recall a year where we went late Dec thru late Feb significantly (-10 or more BN) wall to wall without a brief relax. I know the argument is how long and IF we return to cold, but I am feeling confident again that this reload is somewhat transient and we go back to BN and stormier by late January.

23 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, just hug the GFS

gfs-ens_T850a_us_61.png

Just looking over the nootimers...and ouch...

Not sure what I saw earlier, but was flipping around as i was headed out the door.  ensembles lookin warm no doubt.  Get out your shorts, cause 40's and 50's are gonna feel mighty toasty....

We thaw......

Week 3-4 Forecast Discussion Valid Sat Jan 20 2018-Fri Feb 02 2018 

NWS is going with mild- and wet for the last half of January. 

Luke He of the NWS

The various model guidance supporting the Week 3-4 outlook is in good agreement today, depicting a trough across the east-central CONUS, while a ridge is indicated over eastern Alaska and the Alaska Panhandle. The CFS and ECMWF ensemble means depict above-normal 500-hPa heights over the eastern CONUS. Calibrated temperature forecasts from the individual models and multi-model combinations of these forecasts favor an enhanced likelihood of above-normal temperatures across the eastern and central CONUS. The various guidance is in good agreement on the precipitation outlook. Near and downstream of a trough, above-median precipitation is favored over parts of the Mississippi Valley, the Ohio Valley, the Tennessee Valley, the Middle Atlantic, the Great Lakes, and the Northeast area. 

Technical Question.. when I cliick on the map in TT I get a sounding.  What exactly is a sounding?   It looks look a measurement of dewpoint, temps and a couple of other things at different pressure.  

My questions are - 

If I were to click on sounding a 0 hours, is this actual real world sampled data?  or is the data that we are shown just extrapolated from the real sample data?

How does this pressure relate to altitude?  Or does it even relate to altitude at all?  I always though that the sounding was a measurement of different items in a vertical column of air.. but maybe I am wrong.

4 minutes ago, dallen7908 said:

Week 3-4 Forecast Discussion Valid Sat Jan 20 2018-Fri Feb 02 2018 

NWS is going with mild- and wet for the last half of January. 

Luke He of the NWS

The various model guidance supporting the Week 3-4 outlook is in good agreement today, depicting a trough across the east-central CONUS, while a ridge is indicated over eastern Alaska and the Alaska Panhandle. The CFS and ECMWF ensemble means depict above-normal 500-hPa heights over the eastern CONUS. Calibrated temperature forecasts from the individual models and multi-model combinations of these forecasts favor an enhanced likelihood of above-normal temperatures across the eastern and central CONUS. The various guidance is in good agreement on the precipitation outlook. Near and downstream of a trough, above-median precipitation is favored over parts of the Mississippi Valley, the Ohio Valley, the Tennessee Valley, the Middle Atlantic, the Great Lakes, and the Northeast area. 

Good.  We need a break.  I am serious.  I am also bald so this weather is really wearing me down ;)

10 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Just looking over the nootimers...and ouch...

Not sure what I saw earlier, but was flipping around as i was headed out the door.  ensembles lookin warm no doubt.  Get out your shorts, cause 40's and 50's are gonna feel mighty toasty....

We thaw......

Yeah it sucks but we never make it through a winter without a major warm up.   Hopefully this one can be out of our system without eating up too much of our prime climo.  

1 hour ago, DCTeacherman said:

Yeah it sucks but we never make it through a winter without a major warm up.   Hopefully this one can be out of our system without eating up too much of our prime climo.  

couldnt agree more.  Oh well....its happy hour, so good model runs or bad model runs.....its happy hour (heads for drink...).

:)

At least the gfs moved towards instead of away from some winter wx here on Monday. Precip moves in faster and the northern stream pressing more so the northern tier is still in the game for some snow/sleet. If the gfs is just a few degrees too warm then everyone is in the game for some ice. Looks more like the cmc than the euro. That's for sure. Go North America! Booo Europe!

Just now, Bob Chill said:

At least the gfs moved towards instead of away from some winter wx here on Monday. Precip moves in faster and the northern stream pressing more so the northern tier is still in the game for some snow/sleet. If the gfs is just a few degrees too warm then everyone is in the game for some ice. Looks more like the cmc than the euro. That's for sure. Go North America! Booo Europe!

Yep. King is dead to us.....

till he shows next snowstorm.   Lol

friggin happy hour gfs trolling us. Suckaas

Just now, pasnownut said:

Yep. King is dead to us.....

till he shows next snowstorm.   Lol

friggin happy hour gfs trolling us. Suckaas

We used to have a rule around here that the gfs was best with the NS and the euro best with the SS. Then they both got "upgraded" and blurred everything. The gfs has been screwey with precip during synoptic events but it definitely seems better to me in the mid range with h5 this winter. I kinda liked what I saw at h5 on the 18z gfs so I'll hug that no problem. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

We used to have a rule around here that the gfs was best with the NS and the euro best with the SS. Then they both got "upgraded" and blurred everything. The gfs has been screwey with precip during synoptic events but it definitely seems better to me in the mid range with h5 this winter. I kinda liked what I saw at h5 on the 18z gfs so I'll hug that no problem. 

I get ya. I remember the euro upgrades being done (but not what they were). Prob above my pay grade anyway. Regardless imo it has seemingly lost some of its edge. Would prob b fun to c verification scores pre tune up to post tune up. 

Yea, just hug the GFS
gfs-ens_T850a_us_61.png&key=c4ca30fccab8ae6d745aa067b3cfaf1b5df31ffc31bfbff8ca53134bdb94b885
This and even the eps are 2 prime examples why I've tried not to look past 10 days on the ens means this year.

All 3 major ens families now have backed off the warmish episode that many folks were touting over the next 10 days, taking us to mid January. Forget about the super lr post day 10. Just looking thru 240 the look is not bad. PNA ridge out west, trof in the east, southern stream activity, storm chances, active ns flow, -ao. As we approach day 10 the trof over the Aleutian Islands is trying to pump a ridge out ahead of it connecting with the ao. What happens post 240 hrs this year anyway really is a crapshoot. I dont know where we can find verification numbers on this but Im fairly certain the ens are performing poorer than normal years in the 11-15 day range this year. I've also noticed the eps and gefs have often tried to mirror one another at this range several times since mid November with the GEPS showing different tenneconnection anomalies. Maybe the major warmup is real. But the next 10 days were progged to be a crud pattern 11 days ago and now the gloom and doom teleconnections have been muted, we have a +pna, trof in the east, and cold air is still nearby with any 'warmth' over the next 10 days muted from prior progs and also transient. If you showed me days 8-10 on the current ens and days 11+ didn't exist, I think we would be assuming a reload was coming to bolster the pattern. Im just not buying the extreme persistent AN+ Eastern US pattern being touted past day 10. Again, Im not saying it wont happen. I actually lean towards the AN look. I just feel the ens are too gung ho and the pattern reload will be faster and more muted than being shown. Hopefully we step back from the extreme look over the next several runs. Enjoying the discussion!

i just dont see how the epo ridge that has been a concrete fixture for some time now and at times coming close to breaking SD records, if not breaking them, will just vanish and be replaced with a trof. If anything when we get towards mid month, as we have seen all winter, when that Aleutian trof moves in it should act to pump heights once again regenerating the epo.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived