Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2018

MAG5035

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, djr5001 said:

Southeast wind this time of year all too often ends up keeping Harrisburg and area around I-81 a few degrees colder than turnpike and south and east.  York/Lancaster will see some melted flakes much sooner than we will around here this afternoon if these rates continue.

Just now flipping over here. Picked up nearly 1.5". Solid! 

It's going to be an ugly ride tonight for me on that bus. Going from Hazleton to Pottsville to Harrisburg, leaving at 5pm...maybe.

I'm wondering if they may drop the Pottsville stop due to having to go down the hill on 61 from 81. Either way I'm not looking forward to it. I wonder, though. Since I'm not a bus commuter, at what point do they cancel or suspend services in events like this.

6 minutes ago, Voyager said:

It's going to be an ugly ride tonight for me on that bus. Going from Hazleton to Pottsville to Harrisburg, leaving at 5pm...maybe.

I'm wondering if they may drop the Pottsville stop due to having to go down the hill on 61 from 81. Either way I'm not looking forward to it. I wonder, though. Since I'm not a bus commuter, at what point do they cancel or suspend services in events like this.

I'm starting to think I may have to drive and pick my daughter up after the Hershey Bears game

Just now, sauss06 said:

I'm starting to think I may have to drive and pick my daughter up after the Hershey Bears game

I looked at the 511 cams down there, and it looks pretty bad. Looked like a good crash somewhere east of the 81/83 interchange as traffic was backed up pretty good near exit 72 going northbound.

LWX radar is picking up the transition zone pretty well poking up into southern PA. Looks like the warm air intrusion is pretty low, generally between 925mb-850mb... so radar beam is above the transition zone getting up where Lancaster is at. mPing reports are matching up fairly well with the CC product.

5a77531350d0c_ScreenShot2018-02-04at1_32_59PM.thumb.png.0df30dbd514c187cf5fc22ed97ee5022.png

Hi Guys!  Just got home from church and running to the grocery store, and caught up on 2 pages of posts since last night, which was sweet!  I just measured 3.0" of pure snow, and it continues to snow moderately to occasionally heavily, around 0.6"/hour.  When I went to bed around 1AM the HRRR had me going over to rain by around 3:00PM and temp rising to 37 degrees by 7PM.  Now I see it backed off on the timing of any warmup (yet again, it's been like a see-saw the past 24 hours), with snow the predominant ptype until close to 5:00PM.  Let's see if I make it to 4" again, which would tie the biggest event of this winter with the snow we had a week or two ago.

Temp holding steady at 30.2 degrees.  The snow is definitely wet, and I think it may be compacting a bit as it accumulates right now with peak solar insolation having just passed.  In any case, it's exciting to watch another event underway.  I'll update again at 3:00.

Archived