joxey
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2018

MAG5035

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, canderson said:

Flipped to mostly sleet.

Heavy snow here now with huge flakes.  Nice.  Easily 1"/hr rate at the moment.  I've heard many times before that the area of heaviest snowfall rates frequently is very close to the transition to rain.  Yesterday afternoon the 3k NAM said that between 1 and 4pm the rates here and to my west would be insane with snow, while MDT was changing over.  Will that turn out to be true?  Stay tuned...

15 members browsing the subforum.  Now THATS what I'm talkin bout!!  Hello everyone and welcome back!!

I'll take my rain/sleet just to see the board hoping again.

8 yrs ago today, my son and i were in a bad bad snowmobile accident and during the superbowl he was getting emergency surgery on his femur .  He now has a cool looking xray pic of his leg hardware, and is now a big boy.  He's battled his demons and scares the crap outta me on a sled (and I used to race moto x so thats sayin somethin). 

So all is well...no matter the weather imby.

Enjoy the snow all you NW'rners.  

1 hour ago, Voyager said:

I looked at the 511 cams down there, and it looks pretty bad. Looked like a good crash somewhere east of the 81/83 interchange as traffic was backed up pretty good near exit 72 going northbound.

I just looked at 81 and 83 and the roads just look wet. 

Looking at traffic cams

12z Euro joins the club of colder guidance with Wednesday's storm. It's a pretty notable shift. 540 line at hr 78 runs I-80 instead of the NY border (previous run hr 90). 546 line is below the Mason Dixon line, which is likely going to be closer to the rain/snow line in this setup.  Central counties get whacked and doesn't appear they ever turn over to anything but more snow. 6"+ (10-1) in PIT, JST, AOO, UNV, IPT, AVP, etc. H-burg 3-6" and looks like everyone in the subforum's getting at least 2".

3 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

12z Euro joins the club of colder guidance with Wednesday's storm. It's a pretty notable shift. 540 line at hr 78 runs I-80 instead of the NY border (previous run hr 90). 546 line is below the Mason Dixon line, which is likely going to be closer to the rain/snow line in this setup.  Central counties get whacked and doesn't appear they ever turn over to anything but more snow. 6"+ (10-1) in PIT, JST, AOO, UNV, IPT, AVP, etc. H-burg 3-6" and looks like everyone in the subforum's getting at least 2".

Keep talking dirty bro :P

8 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Sweet! 

At 3:00pm my temp has risen to 30.9 degrees with a very light mixture of snow with a tiny bit of sleet mixed in.  It snowed heavily for about 35 minutes until 2:35 when it abruptly let up.  I took a measurement then and had 3.5" of snow, which was 0.5" of new snow in 35 minutes.  Since that time no additional snow has accumulated.  Radar shows the lull that moved in, but also shows another heavy slug of precip about to come up from the south.  I don't know if that will be all snow or a mix, so I'll have to wait and see.  In any case, it was great watching the heavy snow fall with the woods behind my house and birds flying to the feeders of my neighbors.  Such beauty as the snow transforms everything into black & white.  I'll check back in again in an hour with maybe some additional accumulations from that incoming heavy band to my immediate south.

1 hour ago, MAG5035 said:

Well it isn’t a snowstorm without a picture of such things. Visibility’s between 1/4 to 1/2 mile. Need to get the actual distance of the water tower on the other hill though, it would make a good reference. 

FB0C9C12-A3D2-4E07-99FD-4B09A899CCBC.thumb.jpeg.f840a618cb3673e636b9dca7f6c67840.jpeg

Measure it on google earth.

Conditions deteriorating further...now 90% sleet, 10% freezing rain.  Temp holding at 31.3.  3.7" of snow for the storm was fantastic, and more than I was expecting.  Now I just want the western edge of the radar echoes to move east as quickly as possible to minimize any pure rain.

(Apologies for sounding so IMBYish.  Was pretty excited over this storm.)

Edit again @ 3:58:  Snow beginning to mix back in...about 70% sleet, 25% snow, 5% ZR??

Archived