joxey
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2018

MAG5035

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

@AllWeather

Good morning Matt.   What’s the status of the streaming Doppler 8 live online.  It’s been offline for a while now.   I love using this radar as it shows the ground truth better than other radars with the lower scan.    

havent seen him on the board in some time?

24 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Overnights still holding on to the Mon/tues event and looking at the 6z gfs is just shot after shot at getting something every few days. Can’t wait to see if we can score with a few of these. Fun times ahead. 

Ensembles favor an active pattern throughout where the snow/rain battleground will shift anywhere from MD into southern PA at any given time as systems run through. Hard not to like for the general region.

7 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Ensembles favor an active pattern throughout where the snow/rain battleground will shift anywhere from MD into southern PA at any given time as systems run through. Hard not to like for the general region.

well looky who stopped in for a visit. 

Yeah man, hard not to like the general consensus and Ensemble support for an active pattern moving forward.  I spent much of yesterday getting the sled ready for the upcoming period.  If you like snow, and frequent chances for it.....this upcoming period is just for you (and thats me as well).

16 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

well looky who stopped in for a visit. 

Yeah man, hard not to like the general consensus and Ensemble support for an active pattern moving forward.  I spent much of yesterday getting the sled ready for the upcoming period.  If you like snow, and frequent chances for it.....this upcoming period is just for you (and thats me as well).

Yeah, I got an invite up. Considering Hanover is bordering both the Mid-Atlantic forum and the Central PA forum it only makes sense I come here as well. Besides if it can occasionally get me away from all the whining in the MA forum all the better. :lol:

Not sure what I can add for any above Carlisle/Harrisburg latitude because I am just not familiar with that region (geography and weather tendencies) but I guess I am good to go for the southern portions of PA. 

9 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Yeah, I got an invite up. Considering Hanover is bordering both the Mid-Atlantic forum and the Central PA forum it only makes sense I come here as well. Besides if it can occasionally get me away from all the whining in the MA forum all the better. :lol:

Not sure what I can add for any above Carlisle/Harrisburg latitude because I am just not familiar with that region (geography and weather tendencies) but I guess I am good to go for the southern portions of PA. 

yeah, we are both "tweeners", so I get ya.  

I'm telling ya, the whining gets old, but its everywhere.  You've got a good eye and your input is most welcome.  The northern crew will just extrapolate your views at their own will/peril.  That's how true weenies role. :D

Pretty chill bunch in here, but it would be nice to have some more chat in here.  Looking forward to the next few weeks.

37 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Thanks for posting here!

I look forward to reading your posts in the Mid Atlantic thread everyday! You provide Great analysis, while still being easy & enjoyable to read !

Please keep adding to our conversation here! Thanks!

4 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

Always look forward to reading your thoughts. Thank you for posting here in our thread! 

Yeah it would be something to steal away some snow prior to what looks to be the best opportunity for an extended period of winter opps. I’m looking forward to it and even if not every pop piles up IMBY I’m looking forward to being in the game. 

18z GEFS at 500 looked awesome beyond this weekend. PNA heading pos and AO going Neg is a workable setup.  

23 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Yeah it would be something to steal away some snow prior to what looks to be the best opportunity for an extended period of winter opps. I’m looking forward to it and even if not every pop piles up IMBY I’m looking forward to being in the game. 

18z GEFS at 500 looked awesome beyond this weekend. PNA heading pos and AO going Neg is a workable setup.  

Howz are super bowl storm looking? 

25 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

Howz are super bowl storm looking? 

Gefs and op both have it. Evolution verbatim is more like a clipper going through central NY that drags an arctic boundary through. Looking at precip panels suggests northern and western get majority of the snow and it’s a light to moderate event for them. As you know it’s far away from game time but 500 panels look favorable for many of us to be in play as we get closer. 

9 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

Obviously you have my attention, full attention!

To follow up on the ICON regarding friday, it has since shifted the best snows to the central part of the state at 0z and now has the SE corner in the best snows.

Its just another toy in the weather toy chest, but most Ops have something for both Friday/Sunday/thurs, so lots of chances coming.  GFS is less generous w/ QPF, but should start catching on in the next couple days.  

As Per GEFS the continued theme of heading into a better pattern at 500 with cold around/close enough for some fun continues, but in truth, the OP's are making me dizzy as we have storms that seem to go poof as they head south, and are seemingly followed up by clippers that stay well north of us, and give us backside action.  thats not typically a way for us to get good snow, but i'm sure the next few days will offer a little better direction.  IF we could have some semblance of an NAO, it would likely keep those northern stream vorts closer/under us, but could also suppress southern action.  

10 minutes ago, canderson said:

Looking like a 1" - maybe 2" if we can get lucky - deal tomorrow morning in Harrisburg, but the Laurels look prime for a nice little 4"+ event. 

advisory for Potter/Tioga for 3-5 as well.

better than nothing IMO but has trended drier and north w/ best qpf.

From my view, nooners look a little colder for Friday system, which is needed down my way.  Now we just need it to keep trending back and we could find ourselves into a nice start to superbowl weekend.  Superbowl Sunday, and again on Monday....and next Thursday all still seem to have vorts close by.  WHOOHOO.  I'll nickel and dime my way...no problem.

Regarding the late week system, it looks like more of a case of having a similar regime to late December... a progressive northern stream dominant one. I've noticed the mean westerly flow has been reflecting on QPF distribution across the state with some downsloping issues showing up. So not particularly impressed on the prospect of any kind of heavier event.. plus temps could be marginal as you get to the Sus Valley as well. I think advisory snows are doable but they may be relegated to the Laurels/North Central. 

The storm pattern going forward does look more active, but I think we need to charge up the southern stream to get some bigger events on the table. A -NAO would be nice too. The lack of downstream blocking has really capped off stronger systems this winter with the exception of the early January bomb. One thing downstream blocking (or at least the presence of a strong high to the north) helps with when you have an approaching system is establishing the anomalous easterly flow off the ocean that is a hallmark of a widespread heavy snow event in the Mid-Atl/NE. I dunno about the NAO as it has been MIA the last few winters, but the southern stream could get a boost from the MJO running into 8/1 eventually. It's about through 6 and heading for 7 at a very high amplitude, so provided we get it to run through those phases at a decent amplitude I think we stand a chance at getting some of the more moisture laden systems on the table. As I mentioned in my long post the other day, it's probably gonna be mid-Feb and beyond to yield anything from a prospective 8-1-2 MJO run. One thing that doesn't look like much of a question is temps, as it looks cold in general going forward for the foreseeable future (with a little bit of a brief moderation late this week). The Euro and specifically GFS long range has had some weapons grade arctic cold on the playing field that would probably challenge 2015's ridiculousness if it were to be tapped into. That's in the face of the current solid run of the MJO going through the torch phases of 5 and 6 and working strongly into 7 which can still be a warm phase for the eastern third of the US. But i digress.. I made a large post about that a few days ago and my thoughts haven't really changed too much there. I think the fact that the region is facing + snowfall tonight before we even turn into February is quite a bonus.    

23 minutes ago, canderson said:

CTP cut back MDT snow to an inch or less. Not even a WWA.

Should be a nonfactor down here. Hope the northern guys do well!

CTP’s “Expected Snow” map just issued at 7:19 pm tonight has Harrisburg,York & Carlisle at 2 inches for this event. 

The point & click for tonight says 1 inch or less, But then tomorrow am they have 1 more inch. Yes, this is a minor event, but it could make the morning commute a mess.

The current radar is looking good in western PA & OH. Maybe we will get another small event “over performer” just like a couple other minor events have done this season.

Archived