Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter String

George BM

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Cobalt said:

Can't believe it's been 2 years. Still kicking myself because I slept through the heaviest rates during the night. Measured 24" of snow depth, but that was without a snowboard, clearing it every 6 hours, and was after an hour of the storm being over. Probably got closer to 27" (judging by the reports near me). Hope we get another storm like it within the next decade or so 

Ahhh.. Not I. That was a fun night. That band that came through after the dry slot was pretty epic, though. I got 14" during the night then 7" from the afternoon nukage. 

22 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I do understand your feelings, even as an Eagles fan I really do, I have been there plenty of times when it was two teams I had no interest in.  BUT... your feelings aside this sentiment is a bit overdone because this forum in an area that naturally has no interest.  The Ravens are rivals of the Patriots and the Redskins are rivals of the Eagles.  But the Eagles and Patriots have 2 of the largest fan followings in the league, large markets, and most will end up watching just because of the pop culture event it has become.  The league will be fine. 

The league does has a small problem due to the culture war going on and some of the negative feelings that were then projected onto the NFL when Trump decided to blow that issue up for whatever reason.  I do think that, on top of over proliferation of product (games almost every day now), stupid rules (anyone know what a catch is), the concussion thing, and just the fact we have so many options for entertainment now, had reduced the NFL's stature and power somewhat in the last few years but none of that has to do with the matchup in this game.  Just my humble opinion. 

ETA:  I have never punched a police horse, thrown snowballs at Santa, or thrown beer bottles at anyone.  Not all Eagles fans are drunken morons.  Actually in the 30 or so games I have been to in Philly 90 percent of the fans are perfectly fine human beings.  But I have seen some pretty awful things go down also and I won't deny that for some reason some Eagles fans feed off the reputation and act stupid. 

yeah, no. i can't root for the eagles. or the pats.

sorry, not sorry. 

1. Many - but still a vast minority - Eagles fans wear the reputation as a badge of honor and use that as an excuse to act like a**holes and not be called out for it while it's happening because it's "expected."
  2. The reputation has been earned, but it's not anything like it was years ago.
  3. The reputation is played up by the media.
  4. There are idiots in every crowd.
  5. I feel terrible for anyone who was truly abused - and we all wish it wouldn't happen - but every away fan should expect to get some words thrown their way they show up in an away stadium in the playoffs wearing their team's colors.
  6. While tailgating is a great time, there's no excuse for the lots to be open for 8+ hours prior to kickoff. That isn't going to lead to anything but trouble.
  7. I take some of the Vikings fans' reports of abuse with a grain of salt, though I don't doubt that some of it did happen.
  8. American sports (particularly the NFL) should look into the idea of an away section in their stadia.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

The NFL doesn't have a concept of away game tickets (outside of a block given to the team for internal use).

Plus even in college, the away section isn't exactly isolated.

They should though. I don't get why they would want home and away fans integrated en masse anyways. And keeping those fans separate would really help atmosphere, which frankly is pretty crap in most American sports.

Of course, that would be tough in a place like DC where games are often attended by the away team's fans nearly as much as by the home team's fans...

6 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Such a beautiful map. Too bad I only got 22.0" :P  

Rates actually weren't particularly heavy around my way. The duration was more notable than the rates IMO. 

Awesome pic. Unfortunately we're back to our default

national-mall.jpg

Judging by the OBS thread, seemed like some decent rates, especially near DC before the dryslot moved it. Also, I had a timelapse video of the storm up until the morning. 

Afternoon bands were also pretty sweet too. If we have to go through weather like we're experiencing now, it's well worth the wait :snowing:

What do you do when your neighbors send their first grader to school while running a low-grade fever, knowing that he recently had strep three different times (and was courses of antibiotics each time), then tested positive for the flu just four days ago? And the mom wanted to get together with my wife today with her three-year-old (note: we've got a five-year-old and a fourth-month-old).

13 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Abandon neighbors. 

We haven’t always done the “24 hour fever free” rule for our kids, but when there’s a recent positive flu test and strep!?! Yeah, they should be home. That’s probably even report it to the school office territory.

That's how we're feeling.

They're great neighbors - absolutely fantastic - but they have their kids interacting with others no matter how sick they are. The mom just can't handle having the boy at home, so she's desperate to get him to school. That's just irresponsible because it puts other kids - and by extension those the other kids come in contact with - at risk (nevermind that it's not good for her kid). And why would she want to potentially expose us to the flu by asking to get together with my wife?! If our four-month-old gets the flu, then that's us admitting her to the hospital, FFS!!

35 minutes ago, mattie g said:

What do you do when your neighbors send their first grader to school while running a low-grade fever, knowing that he recently had strep three different times (and was courses of antibiotics each time), then tested positive for the flu just four days ago? And the mom wanted to get together with my wife today with her three-year-old (note: we've got a five-year-old and a fourth-month-old).

Its not bad etiquette to wear hazmat suits whilst in their company.  Just sayin' 

3 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

That's easy mattie. Just tell them that winter temps are coming back during the first week of Feb and they could last a while. Big storms around here always require a good bit of luck and being accurately predicted 5 days in advance is a challenge let alone weeks or months. It's fair to say that it looks like above average chances for more snow in Feb. How much can't be answered honeslty and accurately. 

1 hour ago, usedtobe said:

The pattern improves but we're still fighting La Nina climo and big storms (12"or more) take quite a bit of luck and around here are pretty rare. 

I really appreciate both Bob's and Wes's replies to me, but my post was more in jest that anything. Man...even my facetious posts are bad. :poster_oops:

:lol:

2 hours ago, mattie g said:

That's how we're feeling.

They're great neighbors - absolutely fantastic - but they have their kids interacting with others no matter how sick they are. The mom just can't handle having the boy at home, so she's desperate to get him to school. That's just irresponsible because it puts other kids - and by extension those the other kids come in contact with - at risk (nevermind that it's not good for her kid). And why would she want to potentially expose us to the flu by asking to get together with my wife?! If our four-month-old gets the flu, then that's us admitting her to the hospital, FFS!!

Close Fauquier county schools.

4 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Abandon neighbors. 

We haven’t always done the “24 hour fever free” rule for our kids, but when there’s a recent positive flu test and strep!?! Yeah, they should be home. That’s probably even report it to the school office territory.

mini-map's school sent an email last week to parents reminding them of the sick policy. Because a parent sent their kid to school with the stomach bug, thinking it was just "an upset tummy".

It has since spread like wildfire.

I am hopeful that because she only went to school Monday and Friday last week (Wednesday was a snow day) it may have saved us from getting it, as the staff has bleached the school since. 

But this has happened when she was in daycare too. A parent dropped their kid off, who had had the runs that morning. And continued to have it while at daycare, prompting the parent to come pick the kid up early, and it spreading to everyone else. 

Nothing drives me crazy more than a parent who "ignores" that their kid is sick and sends them to school anyways. 

• H2O unpinned this topic

Archived