joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

That was the year that got me into weather. Still Buffalos all time 24 hour snow record 38.6". I remember that Sunday like yesterday, 3' of snow in one day. 

http://www.weather.gov/buf/lesEventArchive?season=1995-1996&event=G

I heard the town of Mexico got over 50" during the same time period. 

3 minutes ago, vortmax said:

I heard the town of Mexico got over 50" during the same time period. 

Back in 2007 (I think) there was about 100" of snow in the Oswego to Parish corridor, in a week. I drove through it 2x a day going to/from work. Only accumulated 6" IMBY south of the band for the week. It was epic.

I just went out for an hour cruise to enjoy the snowy roads and general last minute Christmas traffic madness.  I just love driving on snowy roads!   I really like that we are putting down a nice base of concrete before the next week of synoptic shots and lake effect.  I think the roads will also really be able to hold onto their snow cover as the wet sleet snow mix has compacted well and very cold temps are forecast for nearly 10 days straight.  Perfect!

2 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Back in 2007 (I think) there was about 100" of snow in the Oswego to Parish corridor, in a week. I drove through it 2x a day going to/from work. Only accumulated 6" IMBY south of the band for the week. It was epic.

I think that was called "Winter in a Week". Channel 9 did a special on it that I have on DVD someplace. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Nice last burst of giant flakes here as the back edge is about to push thru. Definitely man snow today...not like that powder fluff you girls in Hamburg and Oswego are always taking about...:huh:

Now you sound like you should be on the New England board, lol. 

52 minutes ago, Buffalo Bumble said:

Nice last burst of giant flakes here as the back edge is about to push thru. Definitely man snow today...not like that powder fluff you girls in Hamburg and Oswego County are always taking about...:huh:

Hey the lake effect we had earlier this month was 1:12 1:15 type stuff. Nothing like the usually lake effect. The Nov 2014 event was similar, usually early season events are low qpf type stuff. 

25188609_1660449823977680_2135008956_n.jpg?oh=33628c8da9fcc6ac72c870ebe397e86a&oe=5A404984

4 minutes ago, CNY_WX said:

I think that was called "Winter in a Week". Channel 9 did a special on it that I have on DVD someplace. 

Yes, you are correct. I do remember that's what they named it.  IIRC, National Guard was called on to help with snow removal. I knew where they worked cuz all the mailboxes were smasheed on that section of road when they were done!

Approaching 5" in Williamsville with the fluff bomb that just moved through,  hey NWS KBUF is real vague on their 3pm afd, saying Christmas day LES will begin on SW flow putting metro abd Watertown in band first, but eventually the snowbelts east of the lakes will be the big winners. Thing is they mention all of that but no accumulations for any one, including tomorrow night...any maps anywhere?

The Montague radar will be out of service through at least Tuesday.  This will make snow difficult to see, especially with significant lake effect snow possible along Interstate 81 between Watertown and Syracuse Monday through Wednesday. Follow the NWS for the latest forecast.

Good grief!  Talk about bad timing!

Looks like my 3-6" call verified quite well. Might have to increase it to 3-6" for next event as well. I think the LES band has a chance to hit airport for 1-2 hours but southtowns, especially Hamburg/EA south have best shot of highest totals. RGEM has the band over southtowns for at least a few hours with very high rates. Those rates off Ontario are going to be insane Monday Afternoon into Tues AM. I wouldn't be surprised to see 3-5" per hour at times. 

rgem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_47.png

rgem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_54.png

13 minutes ago, swva said:

The Montague radar will be out of service through at least Tuesday.  This will make snow difficult to see, especially with significant lake effect snow possible along Interstate 81 between Watertown and Syracuse Monday through Wednesday. Follow the NWS for the latest forecast.

May have to revert to wsyr ch. 9 radar...but their website is such sh!t it's glitchy and annoying even on the latest mobile and desktop platforms.

For those Buffalo north the latest GFS has that historic high move north towards Hudson bay and even further west after that which allows flow to back to SW Late thurs into Friday with a pretty decent band of LES. The part that gives this credence is the CIPS analogs for that timeframe, they are pretty robust. Some of them even favor a SSW flow. Models will probably change 3-4 times by then though.

17 minutes ago, swva said:

Brutal, but there are multiple radar sites you can use outside of Montague correct? Or is the entire network down for the tug? We also have loads of cams for that area. 

http://www.northernchateau.com/northernchateau.htm

16 minutes ago, swva said:

WSYR radar is nice for intensity of LES bands off Ontario, though sometime a little slow to load.  Ill be a few miles west of you in Redfield during your week.

http://www.localsyr.com/livedoppler9

4 minutes ago, swva said:

I think you are a little north of me too.  I’m on the south shore of the reservoir.  We def will be messaging each other.  When do you get there?  Just hoping we get settled before it gets too bad.

Barely north of you.  Im down rte 2 west end of the rez.  Im up there a few days a week, but heading up mid day Tuesday through New Years.  We've had a 2-3' snowpack for a couple weeks.  Good start to snowmobile riding season, but waiting for Rez to freeze still.  Sled and 4wheeler went through last week, thankfully nobody hurt.

Archived