Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

No automatic alt text available.

Honest question...if the NWS raised the snow accumulations in the northtowns and the winds will be gusting 45 mph with whiteouts and that map above says 6-8" why doesn't KBUF just issue a winter storm warning? The accums coupled with the gusty winds I would think meet the criteria, no?

Just now, CNY_WX said:

Don't you think these maps are way overdone in areal coverage?  They have me in the 24-30 inch range when I would gladly take a third of that. Even the city of Syracuse is in the 12-18 inch band. No way that's going to happen. 

Its a horrific map for sure, Broad-brushed accumulations across the board.  KSYR will be lucky to see 3" and I will be no where near 24-30", not happening anytime soon, here anyway.

5 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

I don't know why folks go crazy over these snowfall maps. Nobody lives in those areas. Roc and Buf be lucky to see 6" over next week. Nickel and dime ****. 

What are you saying, no one lives in those areas? I don't get this statement, lol. I live in the 24-30" range and quite a few people live where I am.  If your talking about the TUG then yes, Carol ( snow spotter in redfield for NWS) and a few others live in redfield, oh and SWVA's winter camp is up there, lol!  I will be lucky to see 6" where I am, so to me its a complete clown map!

Oh and I definitely tinkl KROC sees at least 3-5", so you guys will definitely see a white Christmas.  Wait you would have one anyway even if it didn't snow.

1 hour ago, CNY-WXFREAK said:

Last minute northerly trend killed it for most of us wanting at least a few inches.

I was looking at 700mb last night on a few models for Xmas system. Which is why I was thinking 3-6" was a better call for most of us.  In fact, the low end far more likely with this setup. 

LES afterwards is impressive up on the Tug and central/northern Oswego cty but not much south of a Fulton to Central Square line. 285/290 flow actually means southern Tug is bullseye as channeling effect down the axis of the lake keeps single bands further North than NWP sometimes indicates. Oswego-Mexico should do well.

1 minute ago, Syrmax said:

I was looking at 700mb last night on a few models for Xmas system. Which is why I was thinking 3-6" was a better call for most of us.  In fact, the low end far more likely with this setup. 

LES afterwards is impressive up on the Tug and central/northern Oswego cty but not much south of a Fulton to Central Square line. 285/290 flow actually means southern Tug is bullseye as channeling effect down the axis of the lake keeps single bands further North than NWP sometimes indicates. Oswego-Mexico should do well.

I'm not concerned as I see at least a foot+ so for me, Thats a christmas miracle, lol!

16 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

It’s broad brushed but any fluctuation in wind direction can put you guys in the band. Especially later Tuesday into weds as winds veer even more. 

Usually we get the "ye olde broom" effect SE of L.O.  single band sweeps south, falls off the lake and collapses...transitioning to multibands and SN-.  However, this time, looks more like it stays on the lake, which means southern Tug region and towns in Central/Northern Oswego cty  do well for days.  Some locations in So. Oswego cty may get winged for a few hours at some point.

I think Fulton could do really well later on the 26th into the 27th.  That map is ambitious for areas south of the tug but we all know it doesn't take long to pile up if the band is over you for awhile. I'm pretty sure these maps rightly smooth out the bands to account for the uncertainties in exact wind direction.  

1 hour ago, CNY_WX said:

Don't you think these maps are way overdone in areal coverage?  They have me in the 24-30 inch range when I would gladly take a third of that. Even the city of Syracuse is in the 12-18 inch band. No way that's going to happen. 

Thats a clown map. Seems KBUF is always too broad in terms of aereal placement for these multi-day events.  I think the bullseye is usually well forecasted but outside of there, divide by 2 or 3...

Archived