CHSVol
Winter 2017-18 banter thread

WeatherFeen2000

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

Image result for selfish

Some people are happy for others when it snows for them and not for me.  I'm not one of those people.  That's especially true when I was reminded of that fact about every minute.  It was essentially spiking the football and then running over to pick up the football to spike it again.  One thing to post every hour or so to update snowfall totals.  But it was a five minute process of "it's puking snow", "it's still puking snow", wait "oh, it's still puking snow".

1 minute ago, NYCGreg said:

Some people are happy for others when it snows for them and not for me.  I'm not one of those people.  That's especially true when I was reminded of that fact about every minute.  It was essentially spiking the football and then running over to pick up the football to spike it again.  One thing to post every hour or so to update snowfall totals.  But it was a five minute process of "it's puking snow", "it's still puking snow", wait "oh, it's still puking snow".

I don't know if you're new here, but you should go back and look at some of the older big storm threads where C NJ, NYC and LI got rocked and you'll find the same thing, except obviously with different posters.

Nobody was trying to smear our good fortune in your face, however we should be allowed to post observations as we see fit.

And from what I understand, you still received some snow, which makes you come across as even bigger spoiled brat. Getting shafted is when you receive nothing and places 20 miles away get 2 feet. Been there, done that on too many occasions. 

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

I don't know if you're new here, but you should go back and look at some of the older big storm threads where C NJ, NYC and LI got rocked and you'll find the same thing, except obviously with different posters.

Nobody was trying to smear our good fortune in your face, however we should be allowed to post observations as we see fit.

And from what I understand, you still received some snow, which makes you come across as even bigger spoiled brat. Getting shafted is when you receive nothing and places 20 miles away get 2 feet. Been there, done that on too many occasions. 

I don't have the time or inclination to get into an extended back and forth on this.  While everyone has a right to post observations, it's one thing to do it in a way to make it plainly obvious that it is spiking the football.  If you were being hit hard at 11:00, do you think anyone needed an update an 11:05?  I've been on this board for a while, most of the time just reading.  If people in this area did the same thing while you got nothing, then they were wrong too.  And that's all I have to say about it.

2 minutes ago, NYCGreg said:

I don't have the time or inclination to get into an extended back and forth on this.  While everyone has a right to post observations, it's one thing to do it in a way to make it plainly obvious that it is spiking the football.  If you were being hit hard at 11:00, do you think anyone needed an update an 11:05?  I've been on this board for a while, most of the time just reading.  If people in this area did the same thing while you got nothing, then they were wrong too.  And that's all I have to say about it.

You're entitled to your own opinion, and I am sure that you will be just as outraged the next time the city and LI get slammed while I'm sniffing cirrus :lol: 

Just now, BxEngine said:

Just a reminder, parts of the immediate metro saw 26". Ill take that dud every time.

Yeah, it's not like the big totals were relegated to some obscure corner of Orange County.

The Western half of the sub forum saw a major storm, and this is no different from the recent storms that jackpotted Long Island.

21 minutes ago, NYCGreg said:

Christ, that's been the shtick on these boards for years...you have thin skin bro...

5 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

You're entitled to your own opinion, and I am sure that you will be just as outraged the next time the city and LI get slammed while I'm sniffing cirrus :lol: 

Whatever happened to the days when DC to Boston got slammed? If that happened today everyone would be singing kumbaya.:drunk:

2 minutes ago, NutleyBlizzard said:

Whatever happened to the days when DC to Boston got slammed? If that happened today everyone would be singing kumbaya.:drunk:

uniform snowfall distribution has become rare in recent years...these maps of snow fallen look much more convective in nature than in years past where the high # would be 10 and the low would be 6 over a large geographic area.

Just now, NutleyBlizzard said:

Last time I believe that happened was with PDII. 

That's what separates those storms into a category of their own. 

Obviously January 5-6, 1996 is in that group. 

Many others have come close, but usually shaft either DC or Boston, including January 2016. Actually January 22-24, 2016 is probably the closest we've come since, unless someone else remembers better than I do.

11 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

There's literally nothing more unfathomable to me than jealousy or bitterness over someone else's good fortune, especially when it's the weather. Your ex falling happily in love again, sure. Rich people cruising around town in Lambos while you slave away in the coal mine, OK, fine. But snow? Snow?!

I am actually happy for the interior crew. Things have been really one sided for the coast in recent years. You guys have been having better fortunes beginning with the blizzard last March. 

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I am actually happy for the interior crew. Things have been really one sided for the coast in recent years. You guys have been having better fortunes beginning with the blizzard last March. 

I admittedly was starting to get bitter because storm after storm would slam the coast with feet of snow while the best I could hope for was a few inches, but as you've said, the coast was the place to be for most of the last fifteen, almost twenty years! I cringe to think of the meltdowns on this board if we truly had a snowless Winter like was common in the 80's.

DC has had another brutal winter. Just 3.7" snow (25% of normal to date) has fallen there. That follows last winter's 3.4".

What do you think the reason for this is? I’ve followed Capital Weather Gang for years, and it’s either feast or famine there. (Famine more often than not, considering their geographic situation)

Just now, North and West said:

What do you think the reason for this is? I’ve followed Capital Weather Gang for years, and it’s either feast or famine there. (Famine more often than not, considering their geographic situation)

I think there is a long-term decline due to warming temperatures in a climate already marginal for snow.

There is some degree of luck, too.

Just now, North and West said:

Obviously they benefit tremendously from strong blocking, but you also need a deep arctic intrusion. Both of which have been lacking in recent years, especially at the same time.

30 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I admittedly was starting to get bitter because storm after storm would slam the coast with feet of snow while the best I could hope for was a few inches, but as you've said, the coast was the place to be for most of the last fifteen, almost twenty years! I cringe to think of the meltdowns on this board if we truly had a snowless Winter like was common in the 80's.

The only jackpot that I was annoyed at missing since 2000 was 2-9-13. Rates like that are the one type of snow extreme that I haven't seen yet. 

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/24hourprof/unprecedented-radar-reflectivities-and-snowfall-rates.html

On the other hand, I've never heard of snowfall rates as high as 8 inches per hour that were sustained for two hours. The rarity of the reported snowfall rates seemed to fit the rarity of the radar data for this event. I think the radar reflectivities for snow were so large that the hydrometeorclassification algorithm, a utility of dual-polarization radars, simply failed in this case.

Just now, nzucker said:

I think there is a long-term decline due to warming temperatures in a climate already marginal for snow.

There is some degree of luck, too.

Often times it is a matter of luck, which is why we love blocking so much, because that decreases the luck factor.

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The only jackpot that I was annoyed at missing since 2000 was 2-9-13. Rates like that are the one type of snow extreme that I haven't seen yet. 

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/24hourprof/unprecedented-radar-reflectivities-and-snowfall-rates.html

On the other hand, I've never heard of snowfall rates as high as 8 inches per hour that were sustained for two hours. The rarity of the reported snowfall rates seemed to fit the rarity of the radar data for this event. I think the radar reflectivities for snow were so large that the hydrometeorclassification algorithm, a utility of dual-polarization radars, simply failed in this case.

Yeah that was an incredible stretch for Boston which lasted until 2016-2017.

220px-February_08-09%2C_2013_Blizzard_Storm_Total_Snow_Accumulation.gif

53 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

There's literally nothing more unfathomable to me than jealousy or bitterness over someone else's good fortune, especially when it's the weather. Your ex falling happily in love again, sure. Rich people cruising around town in Lambos while you slave away in the coal mine, OK, fine. But snow? Snow?!

I agree with everything but violently disagree with the bolded.  Good riddance!    

• Rjay locked, unlocked and unpinned this topic

Archived