Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
November Banter Thread

George BM

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If 15 years on these boards has taught me anything...prepare to start seeing the words red flag, smidge too far, nitpick, fading, relaxing,  breaking down feel free to add yours. I've said it before I am fascinated with how far forecasting has come, it is truly remarkable but in winter sometimes I wish for the days when snowstorms were a surprise. A cold holiday season is a win in my books...snow is a super bowl victory.

28 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

If 15 years on these boards has taught me anything...prepare to start seeing the words red flag, smidge too far, nitpick, fading, relaxing,  breaking down feel free to add yours. I've said it before I am fascinated with how far forecasting has come, it is truly remarkable but in winter sometimes I wish for the days when snowstorms were a surprise. A cold holiday season is a win in my books...snow is a super bowl victory.

I have a hunch that congrats NC or RIC is on the horizon. 

11 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Been following since 96 and to say that the models have improved greatly would be an understatement. Now you have a reasonable expectation that the models will have a decent representation of the general large scale weather pattern 7 to 10 days out. 20 some years ago that was more like 3 to 5 days and quite often you did see massive flips anyway within that time period. 

Like you, I do miss those surprise storms that would pop up a day or two before hand. Though we do see that occasionally happen now it is no where near the frequency we saw years ago.

1 minute ago, showmethesnow said:

Been following since 96 and to say that the models have improved greatly would be an understatement. Now you have a reasonable expectation that the models will have a decent representation of the general large scale weather pattern 7 to 10 days out. 20 some years ago that was more like 3 to 5 days and quite often you did see massive flips anyway within that time period. 

Like you, I do miss those surprise storms that would pop up a day or two before hand. Though we do see that occasionally happen now it is no where near the frequency we saw years ago.

Probably the best we can hope for now is overperformer.

17 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Still have my Bourbon County Stout.

I doubt it survives tomorrow though.

Take your time to enjoy it. It changes a lot over about 60 minutes I’m the glass!

16 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

We are taking a break from decorating to do a little shopping then stopping in our local wine shop for a tasting. And hopefully pick up a couple more BCS!

Glad to see the search continues! :lol:

We had friends over last night to get into the leftovers, and one buddy brought a ‘16 BCBS to share, along with a ‘16 Bell’s Black Note. I’ve always liked Black Note, but after drinking that first and then following with the BCBS, the BCBS was so much more complex. Absolutely amazing.

7 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Take your time to enjoy it. It changes a lot over about 60 minutes I’m the glass!

We had friends over last night to get into the leftovers, and one buddy brought a ‘16 BCBS to share, along with a ‘16 Bell’s Black Note. I’ve always liked Black Note, but after drinking that first and then following with the BCBS, the BCBS was so much more complex. Absolutely amazing.

We took a bunch of leftovers from Thanksgiving (including our coma-inducing sausage stuffing) to a friend up the street and he thanked us by digging out a 2015 BCS. We split it four ways and it was incredibly smooth. So good.

22 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Yeah I'll drink it like I do the WWS- start off cold and let it gradually warm and open up, smelling and sipping all the way :P

Hopefully I can score another bottle or 2 this week.

Have you tried Firestone Velvet Merkin Oatmeal Stout? Oh man was that good. Picked one up early last week and drank it on Wed night.

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

57 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

We took a bunch of leftovers from Thanksgiving (including our coma-inducing sausage stuffing) to a friend up the street and he thanked us by digging out a 2015 BCS. We split it four ways and it was incredibly smooth. So good.

If I was a bystander reading my reply above, I'd call BS. Worse, it reads like one-upping, and that's not my intention. My good fortune is wasted on me because my palette handles Natty Boh as easily as most finer ales. But Mattie, cape, and others would obviously appreciate the rarity of any BCS, but especially one that's two years old. Anyway, my friend up the street is in a unique situation because he has access to stuff that most of us can't get, and I have been lucky that he considers me more than just a client.

Anyway, I also picked this up last night. There's a good story behind Pikesville Rye and yes, it was produced here for a long time but eventually was bought and moved to Kentucky, though this is not the same Pikesville Rye that was available up until a few years ago. I like to cut this with a cube or two of ice.

Attachment-1.jpeg.5b03bec75d0cd54696aa2363dde2c067.jpeg

Eta: And, Wes! :)

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

If I was a bystander reading my reply above, I'd call BS. Worse, it reads like one-upping, and that's not my intention. My good fortune is wasted on me because my palette handles Natty Boh as easily as most finer ales. But Mattie, cape, and others would obviously appreciate the rarity of any BCS, but especially one that's two years old. Anyway, my friend up the street is in a unique situation because he has access to stuff that most of us can't get, and I have been lucky that he considers me more than just a client.

Nah...I appreciate a good story about a great beer! I had ‘15 BCBS on draft last year in HHI, but never had it in bottles. And to be honest, it’s only in the last year that I’ve started to really geek out about beer and appreciate the finer (and more expensive) ones. Because of that, my aged beers are all from within the last year, but I’m hoping that a few years from now I can start cracking three- and four-year-old beers!

We’re getting a tree today, and I just tossed a ‘16 Hardywood Christmas Morning into the fridge so I can sip on it while we decorate...

Everyone is doing such a great job at maintaining coolness and level-headedness in the long range thread, but I'll be the first to admit that I will be disappointed if we don't end up getting some lasting cold in these parts leading up to Christmas. I'm certain that for all of us weather ends up having little bearing on what the season really is about, but it sure would be nice to be able to do some reflective Jeb-walking taking in the neighborhood's lights in some biting wind and cold. And if we can somehow manage a few inches of snow that hangs around a few days, that would be the icing on the holiday cake.

Anyway, back to getting the train running properly and the tree set up so the limbs can relax.

5 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

It will be sad if this blocking period materializes into nothing or into a upper 40s wind-blown rainstorm. How is it even possible to fail with that setup?

Because someone who goes by snoski14 says it? What are his/her credentials?  Is he/she a met, or just someone with the same agenda as you? Or are you here to look gullible or just be a contrarian? 

1 minute ago, mitchnick said:

Because someone who goes by snoski14 says it? What are his/her credentials?  Is he/she a met, or just someone with the same agenda as you? Or are you here to look gullible or just be a contrarian? 

Could be, however I do not know this person indirectly or directly.

47 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

The skies have been the deepest clearest blue all holiday weekend. Been some amazing sunsets too.

I have noticed this roughly since the Trump inauguration. This community is not very welcoming of conspiracy theories but I am not 100% sold on the absence of climate intervention programs. Past or present. It kind of chimes well with the surface temperature data between 2005-2012. Aerosols are a potent forcing, you would be surprised. Over any given year, industrial processes will release as much aerosols as 5 Mount Agung's. Albeit more dispersed and spread out over time.

On the flipside, we know more energy was entering the deep ocean between 2005-2012. It's really impossible to know for sure but I suspect the aerosols are just as side effect of burning fossil fuels en-masse and we've gotten better at reducing them and improving air quality, generally speaking.

4 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

I have noticed this roughly since the Trump inauguration. This community is not very welcoming of conspiracy theories but I am not 100% sold on the absence of climate intervention programs. Past or present. It kind of chimes well with the surface temperature data between 2005-2012. Aerosols are a potent forcing, you would be surprised. Over any given year, industrial processes will release as much aerosols as 5 Mount Agung's. Albeit more dispersed and spread out over time.

On the flipside, we know more energy was entering the deep ocean between 2005-2012. It's really impossible to know for sure but I suspect the aerosols are just as side effect of burning fossil fuels en-masse and we've gotten better at reducing them and improving air quality, generally speaking.

:blink::rolleyes::lol::wacko:

6 minutes ago, Vice-Regent said:

d33.jpg

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

So yeah, I am still sipping this sucker. Love it. Remarkably similar to WWS.

WWS is highly available around here though, and less expensive, soo.. I wont make too much effort to obtain more of this one. :lol:

If I had to drink beer from only one brewery for the rest of my life, Dogfish Head may very well be my choice.

3 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

So yeah, I am still sipping this sucker. Love it. Remarkably similar to WWS.

WWS is highly available around here though, and less expensive, soo.. I wont make too much effort to obtain more of this one. :lol:

Less expensive? How much are you paying for each? Pretty sure both are $10.99/bottle in most places here, but BCBS is 500ml compared to 12oz for WWS.

4 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I paid 14 for the Goose Island. I can get the WWS for 9 here.

eta- yes the WWS is 12 oz. duh!

Interesting. The WWS is $44.99/4-pack, so paying per bottle is $1 less expensive for a 4-pack! I’ve got an oak-aged WWS sitting in the basement. Not sure when to crack that one open...

I’ve seen reports of BCBS for $9.99/bottle and some in the same range as what you paid. All depends on availability and what the market will bear, I suppose.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived