Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

6 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

I’m somewhat familiar with most if this but what are these walls in the river of which you speak?

There's a little bit about them in this older NYT article shortly after the initial discovery but the state still hasn't disclosed the exact coordinates or any real details about the apparent walls. Hopefully someone gets the funding and approval to take a closer look at some point... it's been over 15 years so I'm not holding my breath.

Had some brief periods of sleet earlier but nothing now. Tomorrow looks like an all-day 34F rain, lovely

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

There's a little bit about them in this older NYT article shortly after the initial discovery but the state still hasn't disclosed the exact coordinates or any real details about the apparent walls. Hopefully someone gets the funding and approval to take a closer look at some point... it's been over 15 years so I'm not holding my breath.

Had some brief periods of sleet earlier but nothing now. Tomorrow looks like an all-day 34F rain, lovely

Why aren't they disclosing info? Are they leery of crowds of people going there?

2 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Why aren't they disclosing info? Are they leery of crowds of people going there?

Afaik, it's standard procedure (maybe even a legal requirement?) to keep sensitive archaeological sites under wraps until the relevant authorities have had a chance to poke around. It makes sense, would just be nice to actually get someone on the case.

• Like 1

Switching gears, I've just had a look at the Euro for Monday morning and it's definitely a nice solution. While it's hard to ascertain snow amounts without forecast soundings, the .2"-.3" of liquid would amount to a general 2-4" given climo ratios... surface suggests a pasty appeal though. If that pans out, it doesn't get much better. Folks walking up on Christmas morning to a fresh Currier and Ives blanket of snow, but not enough to cause any serious travel issues, with clearing skies by noon. Literal perfection.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Afaik, it's standard procedure (maybe even a legal requirement?) to keep sensitive archaeological sites under wraps until the relevant authorities have had a chance to poke around. It makes sense, would just be nice to actually get someone on the case.

15 years is a shockingly long time though, seems like no one is interested, or maybe people just haven't heard about it.

1 minute ago, Juliancolton said:

Switching gears, I've just had a look at the Euro for Monday morning and it's definitely a nice solution. While it's hard to ascertain snow amounts without forecast soundings, the .2"-.3" of liquid would amount to a general 2-4" given climo ratios... surface suggests a pasty appeal though. If that pans out, it doesn't get much better. Folks walking up on Christmas morning to a fresh Currier and Ives blanket of snow, but not enough to cause any serious travel issues, with clearing skies by noon. Literal perfection.

That is the best kind of snow, especially for Christmas.  Would like the sun to come out a bit later in the afternoon though so it doesn't melt :P

29 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

So from what I see @gravitylover, @UlsterCountySnowZ, and @snywx all fell and busted their asses today...hey guys...let’s be careful out there!

lol.. It was 29° w/ freezing fog last night with absolutely no ice around. I go out to my driveway around 7am and down I went. Assuming no ice is no bueno lol

• Like 3

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018