Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

6 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

It’s not really a cold or warm thing imo... it’s the reasons as to why.. and yes they can change quickly... the euro has the trough axis too far west, therefor the baroclinic zone sets up almost along the coast leading our wave to enhance the Far interior and wrap cold air in... now the GFS is significantly east with our trough, bringing the Baroclinic zone offshore and allowing for heavy snow just inland 50-100 miles inland.... either way the good news, is both models have our eastern Trough, so storm there... there IS cold air to work with on the western side... now we need to nail down intesnsity/trough axis and placement... also a weaker low, would allow for snows to break out also. so several outcomes produce snow for us... climo/pattern doesn’t favor Coast.. Coast needs a lot to make this white IMO, their best shot IMO is a weak low 

trying to understand it all but Im getting it,,,,,,,,thanks 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Euro says anyone north and west of rockland is 3-6”+ on Xmas day, with 1-2+ 2 days prior 

Too bad we can't keep that Friday snow n the ground too but I just don't see how we pull that off and we really can't complain after what were had been looking at a couple days ago.

11 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Too bad we can't keep that Friday snow too but I just don't see how we pull that off and we really can't complain after what were had been looking at a couple days ago.

Trending a little better with the front making a little more progress. A possibility of an overrunning event a couple of days after that, as of today's 12z runs.  Subject to change somewhat.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Yeah.  We all took the big hit today, its basically gone for now.

Yup all gone, a few patches on north facing hillsides on the way home from work but they'll be gone soon too. Hopefully we get a bit more from the opportunities coming up. I'd love to see us end with a foot or more.

A couple years back, some of us were talking about the stone chambers in the area and their supposed celestial alignments. I finally made it to the "Winter Solstice Chamber" in Kent this am and it was definitely an impressive sight with the sunlight perfectly streaming in through the doorway. I did sort of get caught off-guard by the pagan chanting and Druid peace rituals. For some reason, out of about 50 people there, I was the only one who couldn't feel any connection with the spirits. :(

Y9BPSzk.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

A couple years back, some of us were talking about the stone chambers in the area and their supposed celestial alignments. I finally made it to the "Winter Solstice Chamber" in Kent this am and it was definitely an impressive sight with the sunlight perfectly streaming in through the doorway. I did sort of get caught off-guard by the pagan chanting and Druid peace rituals. For some reason, out of about 50 people there, I was the only one who couldn't feel any connection with the spirits. :(

Y9BPSzk.jpg

You at least lit candles to pray to the snow gods, right?

21 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I was supposed to light regular candles? Ah crap, I misheard and lit some Roman candles. No wonder everyone gave me dirty looks...

Well roman candles are good for praying for extra antipasta on christmas eve, so theres that. 

2 hours ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

you still could always plug it in, INDOORS and fill it with beer,,,,just sayin 

Way too much work, we built a little shelter around the fridge that would need to be removed first. We won't warm as much, or for as long, as it looked like earlier in the week.  Looks like the beverages will need to be consumed before next week, I don't want anything freezing and possibly exploding in there, It got down to 11 degrees in there last week.  

2 hours ago, BxEngine said:

Or while sitting in his hot tub. Just sayin. 

hot tub?  yeah, riiiiight

9 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Y9BPSzk.jpg

Wait, where is this?  I was reading today about a site in Scotland that predates Stonehenge (it's over 5,000 years old) and it also predicts the Winter Solstice, among other things (eclipses, conjunctions, etc.)  Fascinating how much the ancients knew!

There's also the Dogon tribe in Africa that had a festival every 60 years when Sirius (Dog Star) appeared in a little notch between two mountains.

52 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Wait, where is this?  I was reading today about a site in Scotland that predates Stonehenge (it's over 5,000 years old) and it also predicts the Winter Solstice, among other things (eclipses, conjunctions, etc.)  Fascinating how much the ancients knew!

There's also the Dogon tribe in Africa that had a festival every 60 years when Sirius (Dog Star) appeared in a little notch between two mountains.

Just a few minutes off 84 in northern Putnam County. There are hundreds of these stone chambers in a relatively small area and it seems like a disproportionate amount (assuming they're just colonial root cellars) are aligned with the solstices and/or equinoxes. You probs know by now that I generally follow the mainstream ideas about most things but the alternate theories about ancient stonework in the mid-HV are hard to completely ignore... you could explain away most of it until you got to the 3,000+ y/o rock walls in the middle of the river floor off Storm King, then it gives pause

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Just a few minutes off 84 in northern Putnam County. There are hundreds of these stone chambers in a relatively small area and it seems like a disproportionate amount (assuming they're just colonial root cellars) are aligned with the solstices and/or equinoxes. You probs know by now that I generally follow the mainstream ideas about most things but the alternate theories about ancient stonework in the mid-HV are hard to completely ignore... you could explain away most of it until you got to the 3,000+ y/o rock walls in the middle of the river floor off Storm King, then it gives pause

I wasn't even aware that people lived in that area back then, I'll have to go take a look.  Is this close to Stony Point?  I go there pretty regularly so I definitely want to stop by.

They'd probably be Native Americans if anything I don't think Druids crossed the Atlantic.

But it's pretty intriguing.  If Thor Heyerdahl could cross the Pacific in Kon-Tiki I guess it's possible.

Sometimes I wonder what conventional or mainstream means anymore lol.  It just seems like knowledge that is open to revision with more information.  I was watching Nova a few months ago and they were showing proof in Brazil that ancient Phoenicians escaped from burning Carthage and reached the depths of the Amazon in Brazil by sailing up the Amazon after crossing the Atlantic.  They built these huge structures in the rain forest that bear symbols on the walls that resemble Phoenician.

I was amazed when I saw all that, I had thought all the residents of Carthage were shamelessly destroyed by the Romans when the city was burned to the ground.

But the Phoenicians were renowned sailors, the best in the known world at the time, so I guess it's possible.

8 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

I’m somewhat familiar with most if this but what are these walls in the river of which you speak?

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018