• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

Sure looks like it wants to snow out there now.

I don't keep track but I'm a bit over 8" now for the season. When is the last time we got a foot or more in December? Feels like we have a chance to get there this year. I hope the winter continues like this, I just spent a ton of money on new tires for my Durango this afternoon :) 

49 minutes ago, West Mtn NY said:

Had a bit over an inch here yesterday, mostly from the last burst that came through around 7pm. Amazing how often it winds up we get some kind of fringe enhancement on the outer edge of storms that wind up bringing us in line with coastal areas closer to storm that are forecast to do better 

We saw that with the event on the 9th. The interior ended up doing better while areas out on LI were either too warm to accumulate or changed to rain. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Sure looks like it wants to snow out there now.

I don't keep track but I'm a bit over 8" now for the season. When is the last time we got a foot or more in December? Feels like we have a chance to get there this year. I hope the winter continues like this, I just spent a ton of money on new tires for my Durango this afternoon :) 

Last year we had 11.3 inches in December so it was close to a foot. December 2013 was 14.4 inches so technically that was the last December over a foot.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Anyone have any snow left after today? I'm down to spots. Before it got dark the woods were still mostly covered but it has that late March look, you can tell it will be gone tomorrow.

My yard was still covered when I got home but it won’t be long, that’s for sure. I’m in Middletown now and it’s easy to see they took a hit today. 

3 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Anyone have any snow left after today? I'm down to spots. Before it got dark the woods were still mostly covered but it has that late March look, you can tell it will be gone tomorrow.

My South facing front lawn is basically bare now.  Some of the north facing lawns have a bit.  Oh well, was nice while it lasted.  Hoping to replenish next week. 

12 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

My South facing front lawn is basically bare now.  Some of the north facing lawns have a bit.  Oh well, was nice while it lasted.  Hoping to replenish next week. 

Sorta a typical December.

lots of chatter about winter & snow.

down in Atlantic City. Chilling at the z bar in borgata. Going to play cards soon. Got a decent game or 2 lined up.

55 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

GFS gives us our interior snow bomb peak hours Xmas day... let’s lock it up

Hey Billy I don't have access to the models , I see the runs after you guys post them . I read what you said that GFS says snow but aren't most other models saying not cold enough or nothing at all ? Euro at least said moisture but it looks to warm , no ? Is it just that the other models need to play catch up ? Novice as usual just trying to learn and the weenie in me hopes that the GFS is on to something !

14 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Hey Billy I don't have access to the models , I see the runs after you guys post them . I read what you said that GFS says snow but aren't most other models saying not cold enough or nothing at all ? Euro at least said moisture but it looks to warm , no ? Is it just that the other models need to play catch up ? Novice as usual just trying to learn and the weenie in me hopes that the GFS is on to something !

Here you go although this site does not have the euro. https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/

The euro is here:https://weather.us/model-charts/euro/new-york/significant-weather.html

27 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

It’s not really a cold or warm thing imo... it’s the reasons as to why.. and yes they can change quickly... the euro has the trough axis too far west, therefor the baroclinic zone sets up almost along the coast leading our wave to enhance the Far interior and wrap cold air in... now the GFS is significantly east with our trough, bringing the Baroclinic zone offshore and allowing for heavy snow just inland 50-100 miles inland.... either way the good news, is both models have our eastern Trough, so storm there... there IS cold air to work with on the western side... now we need to nail down intesnsity/trough axis and placement... also a weaker low, would allow for snows to break out also. so several outcomes produce snow for us... climo/pattern doesn’t favor Coast.. Coast needs a lot to make this white IMO, their best shot IMO is a weak low 

• Like 1

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018