Jump to content
  • Welcome to American Weather

    Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
snywx

Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

Same here got 0.03 in the bucket.  Just think only 146 days to winter. :guitar:

I was going through my folder for the 3/14/17 blizz and man the lead up to that event was awesome! If that storm went 50-75 miles E we would have been talking 24-36" amounts instead of the widespread 20-24" up here.

Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 5.46.27 PM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not one of my favorite storms. To get almost 3" of liquid without any mixing and not break 20" is a pretty huge fail. Tracking it was the best part of the whole event... though I suppose that's true more often than not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Not one of my favorite storms. To get almost 3" of liquid without any mixing and not break 20" is a pretty huge fail. Tracking it was the best part of the whole event... though I suppose that's true more often than not.

Yeah and I got into that dry slot, 20.0" total. It did have some of the best blizzard conditions I've ever experienced though for a while. 

My concerns now turn to OBX and that power outage, I'm slated to head down there on 8/5, hopefully they have the materials on hand to get it fixed quick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Not one of my favorite storms. To get almost 3" of liquid without any mixing and not break 20" is a pretty huge fail. Tracking it was the best part of the whole event... though I suppose that's true more often than not.

I put it slightly ahead of the Feb 2014 event atleast for my immediate area. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Yeah and I got into that dry slot, 20.0" total. It did have some of the best blizzard conditions I've ever experienced though for a while. 

My concerns now turn to OBX and that power outage, I'm slated to head down there on 8/5, hopefully they have the materials on hand to get it fixed quick. 

I see they issued a State of emergency down there and have restricted the visitors. And the power could be out for days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

I see they issued a State of emergency down there and have restricted the visitors. And the power could be out for days.

Days to weeks, depends on if they have the materials needed available to fix it. Crews will get onsite to look at the details tomorrow evening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Days to weeks, depends on if they have the materials needed available to fix it. Crews will get onsite to look at the details tomorrow evening. 

It's good you have a week before you head down there. Hope they get it back soon. This will hurt them economically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, hudsonvalley21 said:

It's good you have a week before you head down there. Hope they get it back soon. This will hurt them economically.

Luckily we have trip insurance as well. I ran some rough numbers. There's 7,700 customers out and let's say 3,500 of those are rental houses. Using a total guess of an average house cost this time of year of $5,000 for a week if folks miss next week there's lost revenue of $17.5 million in just house fees. So yeah, this could hurt them big time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I guess "call before you dig" doesn't apply to professionals... what a disaster for the local economy.

Found out that Hatteras Island, where our house is, is not under the mandatory evacuation so we have that going for us.  Worst case scenario we load up my generator next Friday night and bring it down to keep the food and beer cold.  They are installing various large portable generators but I believe there will still be rolling blackouts even once they all are online.  This afternoon they are slated to announce how big, and long, of a repair it will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

So, looks like we stay dry up here tomorrow. My p&c still says 40% chance of wet but it sure doesn't look that way to me. Thoughts...

We dry I think. Tonight's sunset was epic due to the cirrus outflow from the storm and I suspect sunrise tomorrow could follow suit... might head down to Constitution Marsh or somewhere nearby for some shots if the sat loop looks decent at 4 am. 

A comforting thought... with July ending shortly, snow prospects start becoming plausible in just three months. August should fly right by thanks to the eclipse and then we're home free. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I like popcorn especially when it helps to keep the soil moisture up ;) We just had two little t-storms pop and dampen things and most importantly left us with a great rainbow highlighted against a towering cloud bank. Good stuff :) 

I had a nice view of those pop ups as I drove east up and over Greenville Mt on 84

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

I like popcorn especially when it helps to keep the soil moisture up ;) We just had two little t-storms pop and dampen things and most importantly left us with a great rainbow highlighted against a towering cloud bank. Good stuff :) 

Yeah, nice double rainbow and some sprinkles here as well. Apparently it got pretty intense just to my SW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bunch of up and downs with my OBX trip since last Friday but I feel confident now that we'll be able to go next week the only question is if we can get in there Saturday as planned or have to wait a day or two.  Maybe I'll get "crushed" in some storms today, maybe not, but I can guarantee I'll be crushin' it at the beach and poolside at some point in the near future. :drunk:Hoping to be able to see some more water spouts down there too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×