Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 13-14 Storm

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im all in on this one, I finally caved last night. With all big storms That I can remember Im 51 now  back when I lived in Hamilton Twp. Nj right next to I95 they all had some sort of mixing issues I grew up hearing the I95 corridor phrase and dreaded it but we would always do fairly well even with the mixing and or changeover. Now I've been out here in Western Berks since 1995 and been on the other side of that where we generally don't changeover however on the flip side now Im usually on the gradient side of things right on the boarder of heavy and light accumulations and believe me the last 8 years or so its been the lighter side of things. I guess what Im trying to say lets be all take a breath and not start beating up on one another it looks to be a dynamic storm and they way it sounds its a storm like we have never seen before as far complex setup so lets just enjoy it Guys. 

Latest Wxsim increases totals for NW Chesco to 17" to 24"....I will be reporting on the storm via my webcams, weather station and my wife taking measurements from down here in Florida with the Phillies for spring training. I will be back on Thursday...imagine there may still be some on the ground by then....heck my backyard still has snow from last week.

Tonight: Mostly cloudy in the evening, becoming dense overcast after midnight. A
 chance of snow in the evening, then snow likely after midnight. Low 25. Wind
 chill ranging from 15 to 29. Wind east around 5 mph in the evening, becoming 9
 mph, gusting to 17 mph, after midnight. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.
 Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly between half an inch and one inch. Snow
 accumulation 5 to 8 inches.

Tuesday: Dense overcast. Snow likely. High 29. Wind chill around 16. Wind
 northeast around 14 mph, gusting to 21 mph. Chance of precipitation 80 percent.
 Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly between 1 and 2 inches. Snow
 accumulation 12 to 16 inches.

Tuesday night: Cloudy. Patchy light fog. A chance of snow in the evening, then a
 slight chance of snow after midnight. Low 25. Wind chill as low as 16. Wind
 northwest around 10 mph, gusting to 18 mph. Chance of precipitation 40 percent.
 Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly less than a tenth of an inch. Snow
 accumulation about half an inch.

47 minutes ago, Plokoon111 said:

So being in Croydon PA with 95 in my back yard the mixing is going to screw me right?

wouldn't say totally screw you. the heaviest of the precip should all fall as snow but we will probably change to sleet for a period imo.. it's not going to take us down to 2 to 4" but I wouldn't be expecting 18-24" like what our warning calls for. lower bucks will be more like 8-12" maybe 6-10" worst case scenario, 10-14" best case scenario. that's my call for us.

6 minutes ago, Bluescat1 said:

Did you get much sleep last night. LOL

Off and on. Work going to be rough today. Hoping to nap a couple hours tonight before that wall moves in. We'll see about that. Adrenaline and caffeine tomorrow......got my 4-pack of Monster drinks and 2 pounds of coffee. My heart might explode out of my chest but I will be awake when it happens at least ;-)

3 minutes ago, Violentweatherfan said:

So last night the euro came west and we lost about 10" of snow, I just woke up any changes? 

Euro on some sites had a programming error or something they said irt to snowfall output thus partly the reason I am not a fan of snowfall maps per se. Still held steady and actually increased LE a bit. Shows widespread 20-24" SE PA with more N and W into NE PA jackpot zone.

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Euro on some sites had a programming error or something they said irt to snowfall output thus partly the reason I am not a fan of snowfall maps per se. Still held steady and actually increased LE a bit. Shows widespread 20-24" SE PA with more N and W into NE PA jackpot zone.

Wow, so we dodged a bullet phew. 

Final post before departing (I promise).....cloud canopy has been thickening here since about 730AM. Unsure if it breaks later or just continues to cloud over but we take what we can to help this time of year to keep out that warming sun. Had clear skies and excellent radiational cooling last night with temps generally 3-5 degrees colder than mos data had us this morning. The 2-3" remaining snowpack from Friday certainly didnt hurt which that in and of itself for mid-March is amazing. Goes to show what kind of airmass we are working with here. Bye.

7 minutes ago, zenmsav6810 said:

threats at 138 and 216 on the gfs 6z too....

138 looks pretty similar to Fridays event. Then the 216 threat is a classic overrunning look that'd be a thump to ending as light rain. Both look like pretty decent set ups especially for mid late march. that would be something if both verified and we had more snow events in march than DJF combined.

1 minute ago, The Iceman said:

138 looks pretty similar to Fridays event. Then the 216 threat is a classic overrunning look that'd be a thump to ending as light rain. Both look like pretty decent set ups especially for mid late march. that would be something if both verified and we had more snow events in march than DJF combined.

The free euro looks close too. 138 isnt that far away.

3 km NAM shows 16-20" on the snow maps region wide. however, there definitely gets a warm layer into extreme se pa though so totals may be a bit inflated there and not account for the sleet. still at least a foot shown. 4km NAM is similar but also shows a warm layer giving a period of sleet. good news is away from the shore, rain looks off the table.

Archived