joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 13-14 Storm

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, RedSky said:

GFS does that ENE jog at 18-24hrs that helps Philly big time, the same jog a couple days ago that killed us NW dudes

Unfortunately that is the exact time frame where mixing is forecast by the short range guidance, so we don't know exactly what kind of precip type is between those two frames.  If it stays all snow, fantastic.  Hr 21-23 is where the storm passes our latitude and starts to pull cold air in instead of over the water causing temps to crash (all guidance is in agreement with that).  It's the Hr 18 - 24 window that is the crux of the issue for the battle ground areas.

1 minute ago, Violentweatherfan said:

So about 5:00 am is when the peak begins and runs through 10:00 am, is that about right

That's what it appears to be.  8am looks to be our battle line hour of change over.  We make it to 9am and we get an additional 2-3 inches of snow.

Just now, RedSky said:

NEWMAN! Let's not complain lol

I'm just kidding lol. Can't wait to get my 18-24" the NWS is giving me. This could, and I emphasize COULD, be a truly historic storm for some of us. Just look at that convection down south. This is going to be one monster of a storm.

Just now, The Iceman said:

I'll take a gfs/euro combo any day, thinking we are safe for a foot here

My concern is whether those models do a good enough job with sleet/mixing.  I'd take 10-14 in a heartbeat and die on my sword for complaining like I did today.  Unfortunately I am worried it will be 6-8 with another inch of sleet.  Yes, for March that should be considered a gift, but when 12 hours ago it could have been 14-18 you can't help but be disappointed.

4 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

I'll take a gfs/euro combo any day, thinking we are safe for a foot here and I'll take that any march. time to get a nap. got the beer, Adderall, and the vape charging for later. looking forward to what should be a very fun night ahead!

Picked up a bottle of Calico Jack 94 proof and cherry soda, now my last very important preparation decision before the storm is Chinese food or some kind of loaded pizza

Wxsim up to 18" to 26" for NW Chester County

Tonight: Mostly cloudy to cloudy in the evening, becoming dense overcast after
 midnight. A chance of snow in the evening, then snow likely after midnight. Low
 23. Wind chill ranging from 13 to 31. Wind southeast around 5 mph, gusting to 19
 mph, in the evening, becoming east-northeast around 10 mph, gusting to 17 mph,
 after midnight. Chance of precipitation 70 percent. Precipitation (liquid
 equivalent) mostly around an inch. Snow accumulation 6 to 10 inches.

Tuesday: Dense overcast. Snow likely. High 28. Wind chill around 15. Wind
 northeast around 14 mph, gusting to 21 mph, in the morning, becoming north in
 the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 80 percent. Precipitation (liquid
 equivalent) mostly between 1 and 2 inches. Snow accumulation 12 to 16 inches.

Tuesday night: Cloudy. Patchy light fog after midnight. A chance of snow. Low
 23. Wind chill as low as 15. Wind northwest around 10 mph, gusting to 18 mph.
 Chance of precipitation 30 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly
 less than a tenth of an inch. Snow accumulation about a quarter inch.

7 minutes ago, Newman said:

Is that snow entering Chester and SE PA just virga? I guess what I should be asking is will we need to overcome any dry air to begin the storm?

Newman that's thousands of Canadian geese saying where the heck do we go now. We have several hours before the snow moves in.

Just now, RedSky said:

Newman that's thousands of Canadian geese saying where the heck do we go now. We have several hours before the snow moves in.

I know, just curious because the dew point here is like 11F. Kind of dry out there. And yes, I'll admit, I use the patented radar hallucination site, also known as Intellicast. 

15 minutes ago, Newman said:

I know, just curious because the dew point here is like 11F. Kind of dry out there. And yes, I'll admit, I use the patented radar hallucination site, also known as Intellicast. 

Yes, it is as a matter of fact! Kind of light and sporadic, and not expected. Checked in the MA forum and they're getting some light snow as well. 33F here currently.

3 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Yes, it is as a matter of fact! Kind of light and sporadic, and not expected. Checked in the MA forum and they're getting some light snow as well. 33F here currently.

Nexrad has a little blob over Delco and part of Chesco.  Wasn't sure if any of it was making it to the ground but apparently some is.

03132017-nexrad.gif

Archived