March 13-14 Storm

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

LOL

Its 1 hour in my backyard :)

AND.....its the 18Z NAM....my God just stop already

So which mesoscale model should I not ignore since almost ALL of them show lower bucks and philly losing 3 hrs and 1" of qpf while above freezing?  

5 minutes ago, mattinpa said:

NAM tends to run a little warm. How are the very short term models looking?

Only one that shows prolonged mixing really n/w is the 4k NAM (though the 3k is almost as bad).  The RGEM, NMM, ARW all show about 3-6 hours of mix within 10-15 miles n/w of the river.  Most coincide with a pretty strong jet coming straight in off the ocean, which is where the warm air is being drawn in.

HRRR really is just hitting the range where this change would be occuring.  The next 2 hours of runs for that will see where they fall.

2 minutes ago, shemATC said:

Only one that shows prolonged mixing really n/w is the 4k NAM (though the 3k is almost as bad).  The RGEM, NMM, ARW all show about 3-6 hours of mix within 10-15 miles n/w of the river.  Most coincide with a pretty strong jet coming straight in off the ocean, which is where the warm air is being drawn in.

HRRR really is just hitting the range where this change would be occuring.  The next 2 hours of runs for that will see where they fall.

We'll have to watch for this the rest of the day. The 3k snow map looks good just north and west. Sometimes models have trouble setting up the mixing line in cases like these. Really hope it isn't a bust since blizzard warnings are out. Many people changed their schedules for tomorrow.

31 minutes ago, shemATC said:

So which mesoscale model should I not ignore since almost ALL of them show lower bucks and philly losing 3 hrs and 1" of qpf while above freezing?  

so you'll mix a little in Langhorne, big deal.  It's March 13th and you are about to see around a foot of snow and blizzard conditions for a time!  

I'll tell ya, some people on here....sheesh

An Amazing storm developing.  Currently it is affecting and building into the northern two thirds of  Florida  to most of the great lakes.  Reminds me of the 1993 super storm...which happened at about the same time.  We won't come close to the low pressure in that storm.  But wow...Area covered is incredible.

Here is a like to Sarcus' great ob thread.

Archived