Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 13 - 15 Major Winter Storm Potential

NEG NAO

6 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

Sorry for my ignorance, but do higher heights translate to slower cyclone progression?

23 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

So 12z raobs up in Canada are all showing higher heights than models forecast (06z GFS and 00z Euro). 

EPS sensitivity would suggest that means the Euro could have another slower and westward tick left in it at 12z. More likely slower than westward.

Looks like the GEFS would favor a slower tick too for the 12z GFS. Not so much left or right shift though.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Dan76 said:

So 12z raobs up in Canada are all showing higher heights than models forecast (06z GFS and 00z Euro). 

EPS sensitivity would suggest that means the Euro could have another slower and westward tick left in it at 12z. More likely slower than westward.

Looks like the GEFS would favor a slower tick too for the 12z GFS. Not so much left or right shift though.

Thanks 

Just now, EasternLI said:

I think it should be mentioned that if parts of the area are getting 12-18" wet snow, then throw in strong gusty winds. That's a recipe for the power going out. I'd try to prepare for that today if anyone needs to.

I mentioned that somewhere else too.  The other thing that's going to magnify that impact is things started budding the other day so the branches will carry more weight (for a short time) before they break off.  When you're outside during the storm be hyperaware of heavy flying objects.

3 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

I think it should be mentioned that if parts of the area are getting 12-18" wet snow, then throw in strong gusty winds. That's a recipe for the power going out. I'd try to prepare for that today if anyone needs to.

I was going to post the same thing, not sure how wet the snow is going to be since temps are probably going to be in the mid 20's during the storm but nevertheless along with the winds some power outages will be possible if not likely.

19 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

Thanks 

49 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Thanks for posting. This was my positive "caution" yesterday when the 12z euro came way east. I've noticed guidance in general trending that PNA ridge more amplified just about every run. This should also translate into a more robust northern Stream shortwave. Seems they are still playing catchup--some more than others. My expectation is this should materialize in a better/earlier N Stream phase and the guidance already picking up on this like the GEM, euro and Ukie are closer to verifying at this juncture. 

46 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

The pattern still seems to be more similar to that of March 18-19, 1956 and January 26-27, 2015, mainly that the trough is comfortably farther west than in the 2015 case. Right now, I have greater confidence in the 0z ECMWF, 0z UKMET, and 0z EPS.
For purposes of reference, here’s a list of New York City’s 12” or greater snowstorms in March (1800-2016):

March 14-15, 1834: 12”-15”
March 16-17, 1843: 18” (nearly 2 feet in parts of the City)
March 16-17, 1867: 12”
March 20-22, 1868: More than 12”
March 12-14, 1888: 21.0” (parts of the City received nearly 30”)
March 15-16, 1896: 12.0” (also a 10.0” snowfall on March 2)
March 1-2, 1914: 14.5”
March 7-8, 1941: 18.1”
March 3-4, 1960: 14.5”

All the more impressive when you consider that those March events followed much colder winters.

DJF average temps

6 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

I was going to post the same thing, not sure how wet the snow is going to be since temps are probably going to be in the mid 20's during the storm but nevertheless along with the winds some power outages will be possible if not likely.

Yeah I mean obviously it won't be an issue everywhere, but with the track that is being modeled and potential mixing issues in play out east, I think somewhere in our forum gets a wet snow dump out of this.

The 6z 12k NAM simply could not get any better for NE NJ (2 feet+ lol)..I'm just hoping it shows something remotely similar to that. The same goes for the big 12z runs coming up for euro, UK, and even GFS...besides the GFS, the 00z runs were perfect. Hold serve!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 minute ago, WintersGrasp said:

The 6z 12k NAM simply could not get any better for NE NJ (2 feet+ lol)..I'm just hoping it shows something remotely similar to that. The same goes for the big 12z runs coming up for euro, UK, and even GFS...besides the GFS, the 00z runs were perfect. Hold serve!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Structurally the 0 Z GFS was nice & step in right direction but QPF has been consistently off and took a step back 6 Z so that should be the most intriguing 12 z run today IMO

Archived