SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 10-15 Multi Wave Setup

Hoosier

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

little bit of snow grains and misty snow starting to fall in Muscatine, Iowa.  Atmosphere taking a hair longer to saturate as we had a pretty stout layer of dry air to moisten up.  still think that dry air eats into some of the qpf here locally in east central iowa.  gonna say 4-5" for the QC metro will be about it I think, unless we get some surprise accumulations tomorrow after about 9am.  I'm Jerry Taft'ing the quad cities.  

7 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

Interesting system that will be breaking the futility for Chicago.

Unfortunately it won't have full potential, and the system will be weakening as it slides into the area, with early transfer occurring to the developing East Coast system.

Looks like a solid 2-6" for much of the LOT CWA with the synoptic snow. Then the LE is still up in the air. Should be some enhancement during the synoptic snows, before becoming pure LES tomorrow evening into Tuesday. Probably will see a multiple band setup try to converge into a single plume. How soon does that occur is one question. Then the next question is how transient will it be. So it's definitely up in the air a bit still, but could see several inches of LE in WI/IL with it.

Assuming an organized single band forms, it should be able to produce rates of 1-2" per hour.  I'd rather be on the Illinois side for this one but I'm thinking it should rip here pretty good for a while.

25 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

0Z RGEM came in slightly wetter for the GTA.

Has 3.0" with 10:1 snow ratios and with 15:1 snow ratios it equates to 5.0". 

A subtle shift of 50 miles further West could mean closer to 6-7".

0z GFS continues this trend. Comes in wetter than the 0z RGEM. 

Has 5-7" for the GTA with ratios. 

Top down saturation looks to be finally complete here, as the dew has risen to 26, and the snow is falling much more efficiently.  Flake size is still quite small, but it's pouring out there quite nicely.  Heavier snows have regenerated out in central IA and will work it's way through the DVN cwa between now and sunrise.  Some nice totals up near the Waterloo area so far.  Some locations have already picked up 6-7" of snow.  Could be some double digit amounts up that way.  QC may end up with more than 6" if we can get some of those high-ratio bands to work in as the surface-850mb lows approach/pass by later in the night.  

After piling up the first few inches in a hurry, our snow rates have dropped way down.  From 8pm-10:30pm I received 2.8 inches, but from 10:30pm-12am only another 0.6".  A guy on the other side of town has nearly 5" and a town 17 miles north of Cedar Rapids amazingly has 8 inches.  There was obviously a localized pocket of very heavy snow just north/northeast of me.

DVN isn't too enthusiastic about the rest of the area outside the localized high amounts.

The low track has really shifting south today.  Models had locked into a track across southeast Iowa, but instead it's going to dive down through Missouri, even sw of St. Louis.  That south track will take some of the better forcing and moisture with it.

4 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

After piling up the first few inches in a hurry, our snow rates have dropped way down.  From 8pm-10:30pm I received 2.8 inches, but from 10:30pm-12am only another 0.6".  A guy on the other side of town has nearly 5" and a town 17 miles north of Cedar Rapids amazingly has 8 inches.  There was obviously a localized pocket of very heavy snow just north/northeast of me.

DVN isn't too enthusiastic about the rest of the area outside the localized high amounts.

Those are some pretty crazy variations.  Very interesting. 

Since you're already at 3.4" you should make a pretty good run at legit warning criteria amounts, as you look to get a good 2-3" more between now and mid morning.  

good dendrites finally this last hour or so and it continues.  looks like decent snows for the next 3-4 hours here.  thinking 3-5" for much of the area is going to cover it well.  air temps still a bit ehhh as we are holding at 30.4 degrees.  initial bit of snow compacted/melted on contact.  radar looks good from our area and West.  

Really long fused by I think about 6" when all's said and done looks reasonable for Toronto. Subtle shifts in the ul/sfc low will have a major impact though as I think the northern QPF boundary will be tighter than what the RGEM/UKIE are trying to sell. There's a lot of dry air associated with that banana high.

Nail biter for Boston on the EURO...lol.

Archived