Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Okay,  I give up.  How was this done.  It's a loop.  Jet position is not moving.  If it was a time lapse the jet would be moving too fast to capture so much motion.  Clouds just off the wing are not moving.  It looks real with the way the clouds move around the mountain, just can't figure out how they did it.

3 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Okay,  I give up.  How was this done.  It's a loop.  Jet position is not moving.  If it was a time lapse the jet would be moving too fast to capture so much motion.  Clouds just off the wing are not moving.  It looks real with the way the clouds move around the mountain, just can't figure out how they did it.

It's an animation made from several cropped and aligned still shots, probably taken over a few minutes.  Something like Adobe AfterEffects can "fill in" between shots to make an animation.  Kind of like those animations of Mt. Saint Helens erupting.

There are other ways to do this, usually by stabilizing video around a fixed point of reference.

1 hour ago, eekuasepinniW said:

It's an animation made from several cropped and aligned still shots, probably taken over a few minutes.  Something like Adobe AfterEffects can "fill in" between shots to make an animation.  Kind of like those animations of Mt. Saint Helens erupting.

There are other ways to do this, usually by stabilizing video around a fixed point of reference.

IOW, real like eyewall's pics. ;)

Well the general concept of the picture is real.  The clouds come up to the volcano and then they dissipate on the leeward side slope.  Now that I am watching it again I can see its stitched together from stills.  I'll probably see the clip somewhere on my facebook timeline with people posting "amazing video shot"  blah, blah, blah.  Just like the super moon pictures when the moon is about 1/4 of the sky.  I shouldn't get started on what's real and what is not with photography.  In any event the concept of the video is real enough.

On a separate note the last snow in the deep woods will be gone in the next day or two.  Forsythia just coming out.  

17 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

The mass arrival of white throated sparrows has begun.  Probably 15-20 of them so far.  Still a far cry from last years peak.

They sound so great when several of them start singing at once.  

They've been pretty loud here in the morning. I had one caught in my garage this afternoon too...hopefully it wasn't looking to nest.

Saw (scared) my first pileated from the suet of the season too. I hear them everyday, but hadn't been able to get a glimpse of one yet.

It was also attack of the hawks tonight. I'm not too sharp with my birds of prey identification, but it wasn't the usual red-tailed hawks. We had a black one with a large wingspan fly just over and circle the house for about 10 minutes while I shoo'd it away from the scattered chickens. 

Driving back from Florida on Sunday, there was full leaf out up to about southern to central New Jersey.  Once I got past the GW bridge in NY, did not see any trees that were leafed out.  Like that all the way up here to Northeast Mass.  

Lawns were certainly green everywhere tho.

7 hours ago, dendrite said:

They've been pretty loud here in the morning. I had one caught in my garage this afternoon too...hopefully it wasn't looking to nest.

Saw (scared) my first pileated from the suet of the season too. I hear them everyday, but hadn't been able to get a glimpse of one yet.

It was also attack of the hawks tonight. I'm not too sharp with my birds of prey identification, but it wasn't the usual red-tailed hawks. We had a black one with a large wingspan fly just over and circle the house for about 10 minutes while I shoo'd it away from the scattered chickens. 

Looked them up in my Audubon book last night. Guess it was a turkey vulture and then the swarming ones after that were broad-winged hawks. Nothing exactly rare.

Large numbers of goldfinches at our feeder this season.  Also saw a decent sized woodpecker (smaller than a pileated) that swooped out of a tree with a pretty bizarre call...sort of a screech,  Not sure what is was.

Owls have been going bonkers again.  I cannot get over how many barred owls are around.

18 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Large numbers of goldfinches at our feeder this season.  Also saw a decent sized woodpecker (smaller than a pileated) that swooped out of a tree with a pretty bizarre call...sort of a screech,  Not sure what is was.

Owls have been going bonkers again.  I cannot get over how many barred owls are around.

Red-bellied?

What a great first day back from a two week trip down south after our maple season....lol.  It was nice to see the green up down there.  Lower elevations were at least a month ahead of us if not more but what was interesting to me was that we needed to be between 4,500 and 6,000' to have similar growth to our latitude/elevation.  It still amazes me that our treeline is closer to 4,000' but even on top of Mt Mitchell at 6,700' there are trees.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

44F and -RA. Just awesome. That guy up on the mid-coast of Maine must be loving this wx.

Crazy, was a real nice morning up this way.

Low of 28F at 5am and then up to 58F by 11am with sunshine.  Clouds rolled in quick and -RN is starting to wetbulb us back towards the 40s.

1 hour ago, MetHerb said:

What a great first day back from a two week trip down south after our maple season....lol.  It was nice to see the green up down there.  Lower elevations were at least a month ahead of us if not more but what was interesting to me was that we needed to be between 4,500 and 6,000' to have similar growth to our latitude/elevation.  It still amazes me that our treeline is closer to 4,000' but even on top of Mt Mitchell at 6,700' there are trees.

Natural tree line in the NC/TN Apps must be over 7,000' - the balds in those mts are the results of fires (and in some places, from clearcutting the old growth red spruce.)  By the time one gets to Baxter Park, tree line is down closer to 3,500'; there are some trees above that, but mostly krummholz.  On a years-ago thread, we discussed the latitude-elevation "exchange" and IIRC a ratio of about 600' per degree of latitude was where we ended up.  (Seems too low for tree line - Katahdin is about 10 degrees north of the 6,000-footers in the Apps, and I'm not ready to buy into the natural tree line at 35N being over 9,000'.)

This spring has been about seesawing between truly hideous weather and relative utopia ..almost on a day by day basis.  Short duration sensible weather changes are more likely in spring around here, than any other season, ...but this year there's been more than the usual. 

Yesterday when I fled work and shot up 190 around 4 ...by the time I arrived upon Rt 2 the sky was clear and the temperature on the dash' was pegged at 78 F. No wind, save for that which gushed by the open windows of my car.  Later on in in the driveway, the the only sound was birds amid a setting featuring the warm glow late afternoon sideways sun.   

Right now? ..paper cut, rubbing alcohol.   48 F and pelting rain. 

60 hours large of this, too.  

Archived