Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

22 hours ago, tamarack said:

I've heard that Red's Eats adds nothing to the lobster but some butter - no dilution with veggies or mayo, and just enough roll to (almost) hold all that meat.  However, while I have a Maine bias for most things, crab is not one of them.  IMO, your Chesapeake blues beat any of the related critters I've tasted, from Maine to Fisherman's Wharf in SF.

As for parks, I'm not up on municipal parks, but for beaches there's Reid and Popham (as you may already know), the former also featuring nature trails.  If you don't mind going north of Rockland, Moose Point will be less crowded than the two noted above, and it's not much farther from Cobbosee - just take Rt 3 out of Augusta instead of 17 or 27.  Great Hikes at Camden Hills, too, though no beaches.  For a lovely walk thru the woods plus a small beach on the (saltwater) Damariscotta River, there's Dodge Point, on River Road in Newcastle.  It's free, though the parking lot is small - on busy days folks park along the paved road.

Appreciate the park recs. Taking notes on those too. We both love to hike around and enjoy peace with everything. Appreciate it. 

Red's no filler style is exactly what I'm looking for. All the MD touristy seafood places ruin what a good crabcake is supposed to be (limited filler and lump crabmeat). The 2 most consistent places on the western shore of the bay that I know of are G&M just south of baltimore and Stoney's in Southern MD. Not cheap but you gotta pay to play just like with all good seafood. 

I grew up crabbing the bay. It was easy in the 70's and 80's. We only kept monsters back then. Nowadays we suffer from the same overfishing as any area along the coast. Last couple years have been real good but we had a ton of duds before that. So much so that I didn't even bother crabbing most of the time. It sucks sweating your eyeballs out in the summer heat to come home with a half bushel of barely legals. Screw that. 

Crab and lobster are very different so I love them both for different reasons. Of course I'm partial to crabs because if I wasn't MD would evict me. LOL. But a hard shell lobster done right is off the chain too. You guys have killer clams too. We only have the basic farmed cherrystones around here. Bay oysters aren't my favorite even though the're plentiful. I prefer the brine of ocean water raised oysters. The chesapeake is brackish so the oysters don't have that salty bite or firmer texture like the ones from up north. 

GD now I'm getting hungry

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those NF photos are nuts but I still think the California videos earlier this season were more impressive.

33.9F and just had some  snow as a quick batch of heavier precip came through. Past now and back to light rain.  Can I add a "trace" to today even if the light coating only lasts an hour or two?   It's very exciting to see a few grass patches that appeared yesterday.  Many more to follow in the coming days....

20170404_113957.jpg

2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Those NF photos are nuts but I still think the California videos earlier this season were more impressive.

33.9F and just had some moderate snow as a quick batch of heavier precip came through. Past now and back to light rain.  Can I add a "trace" to today even if the light coating only lasts an hour or two?   It's very exciting to see a few grass patches that appeared yesterday.  Many more to follow in the coming days....

20170404_113957.jpg

A trace is for any snow that falls. It doesn't even have to accumulate.

You can really see the effects of terrain on the flow/clouds on GOES-R. You can almost see the westerly flow aloft getting pushed over the spine of the Greens. Then you have the downslope clear spots north of the whites. You can even see a hint of the terrain in the Monadnocks affecting the flow. Really cool.

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=newengland-02-24-1

Click the image to animate it.

goes16.gif

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

A trace is for any snow that falls. It doesn't even have to accumulate.

So Brian,  all the countless winter days when I have flurries in the air that never stick, no less accumulate are counted as "T" days?  I thought you had to at least record something on the ground?  I probably have a couple extra dozen "T" days throughout the winter.

33.9F  moderate drizzle/rain but not a snowflake to be seen now...

Just now, wxeyeNH said:

So Brian,  all the countless winter days when I have flurries in the air that never stick, no less accumulate are counted as "T" days?  I thought you had to at least record something on the ground?  I probably have a couple extra dozen "T" days throughout the winter.

Yup. Any flakes are a trace.

11 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Yeah those are all traces.  And why you see a lot of early season "T"s in the records at climo sites...that just means a snow shower moved through that day.

Like when I or JSpin say we've gone 45 days with at least a trace or something like that...just means the globe got shook for some period of time that day.

0.1" is measurable and it almost seems like that's what you've been thinking is a Trace.  

37 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

This is the only type of blizzard we have been missing In the NE in the 2000s. Something with 70+mph winds and 3 feet plus of snow. I would think the only storm to effect our area and have a direct result like that was 1888 in western NE and eastern NY. I would love to see an event like that 

34 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I grew up crabbing the bay. It was easy in the 70's and 80's. We only kept monsters back then. Nowadays we suffer from the same overfishing as any area along the coast. Last couple years have been real good but we had a ton of duds before that. So much so that I didn't even bother crabbing most of the time. It sucks sweating your eyeballs out in the summer heat to come home with a half bushel of barely legals. Screw that. 

GD now I'm getting hungry

Man you're bringing back some sweet memories. I have a farm on the Chester River and I remember setting pots when I was a boy and bringing home bushels of blues, to be steamed up with plenty of Old Bay and consumed messily on the picnic table in the back yard. Miss those days. Can't catch much down there now. Farm runoff for the loss. 

16 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I saw that too. He will eat that up this time of year though. We need to post more of these starting next Nov.

What do you mean downsloping? How does that image show downsloping lol. An 1,000 foot hill doesn't get downsloped from a 1400 foot hill.Down sloping is flow from high to low elevation that either dries, warms and compresses 

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

What do you mean downsloping? How does that image show downsloping lol. An 1,000 foot hill doesn't get downsloped from a 1400 foot hill.Down sloping is flow from high to low elevation that either dries, warms and compresses 

There's a stripe there of darker grays indicating some quasistationary thinner overcast. I don't know where exactly you are in relation to it or if that is west of you. I agreed with Scoot since it's fun to pick on you.

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

There's a stripe there of darker grays indicating some quasistationary thinner overcast. I don't know where exactly you are in relation to it or if that is west of you. I agreed with Scoot since it's fun to pick on you.

It's been raining all day. Hasn't stopped once here. If he thinks that downsloping perhaps his expertise needs to be brought into question? If it's showing up , that's probably the valley due west in Ellington.. maybe 5 miles west.

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

There's a stripe there of darker grays indicating some quasistationary thinner overcast. I don't know where exactly you are in relation to it or if that is west of you.

If we get a good clear, dry day the low level water vapor will show for sure. Terrain induced flow really shows up well there.

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It's been raining all day. Hasn't stopped once here. If he thinks that downsloping perhaps his expertise needs to be brought into question? If it's showing up , that's probably the valley due west in Ellington.. maybe 5 miles west.

This shows it better. Click the image to ani.

downslope.gif

Archived