Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 12/13 SWFE/Coastal Observations

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, weathafella said:

Lol....2 inches of the total are cj but yes.

trees laden with heavy wet snow.  Got bombed on my dog walk.  Also, echoing 78blizz, when the modeled high point of 925s at 3z came we had a very wet snow-almost rain but surface temps stayed cool albeit up to 32 now.   Bed time-will be interesting to see if anything happens,   Looks like about 6 inches but that's pure eyeball and unscientific.   Deepest pack in 2 years and should any major threats materialize next few days tand a week I'll need to get the roof raked,   I won't go up there but someone will for the right amount of $$.

Its ok....I beat the CJ.

1 minute ago, WeatherNurse said:

Can anyone give me a good reason why the BTV and PWM radar maps ALWAYS have a giant hole over the CT river valley?  It never seems plausible and for an amateur like me it doesn't allow me to extrapolate what might occur for me!

Radar coverage...the beams overshoot the precip over there because of their distance away from the valley.

4 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

Sooo... Lets talk about this... Eric Francis just told me Logan officially has 4".

That's impossible.

The 10:42 PNS doesn't show Logan Airport. At 7 pm, the figure was 2.9". It's difficult to believe that 0.08" precipitation with a temperature of 34 degrees produced 1.1", as ratios had been running well below 10:1. 

2 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

I had .5 at best from that. Don't forget I trash that guy consistently for under measuring snowfall. 

I'm puzzled.

Looking again there was a few hour period of 33F and 1/2-3/4SM snowfall and a hair over 1/3" of liquid equiv during that time. They did have some rain before and after that period though so you would think there would be some glop issues.

Just now, donsutherland1 said:

The 10:42 PNS doesn't show Logan Airport. At 7 pm, the figure was 2.9". It's difficult to believe that 0.08" precipitation with a temperature of 34 degrees produced 1.1", as ratios had been running well below 10:1. 

He said it was official from Winthrop Logan guy to me on twitter a few mins ago.

Francis was shocked enough that we just went back and forth for about 5 mins wondering WTF. 

1 minute ago, sbos_wx said:

He said it was official from Winthrop Logan guy to me on twitter a few mins ago.

Francis was shocked enough that we just went back and forth for about 5 mins wondering WTF. 

I'm shocked, too.

Of course, I hope the CCB creeps into Boston, but remain uncertain about how long it would be there, if it gets there.

this is not a traditional CCB, in the sense of the direction its coming from for a Nor'easter  (down the coast) anyone that watched any radar loop presentation from a MESO can see how the evolution is * suppose to play out

watch for that precip SW of ORH to begin to blossom and the rest of the area follow suit. This definitely is now cast time

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Boston schools closed tomorrow lol

As are Brookline, newton, and most of the colleges.   Decisions made before it was obvious that it needn't be.  Wish I went to school in this era....it took a KU to close schools when I was a kid-they're in the book from 1956-1965-the year I graduated from HS.

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

As are Brookline, newton, and most of the colleges.   Decisions made before it was obvious that it needn't be.  Wish I went to school in this era....it took a KU to close schools when I was a kid-they're in the book from 1956-1965-the year I graduated from HS.

Harvard got it right this time (but got it wrong last week when they stayed open): harvardstorm.PNG

I believe my alma maters of BU and BC are also still open for tomorrow.

Archived