Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem V

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Why do use the word banal so much in posts?

...outfit that sentence with any adjective you like... 

why do you post sentence that like, "Why do use the word banal so much in posts?"  

this is a weather forum - not whatever you fantasize of it's use (to which we all suffer...)

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

RAP has some pretty good squalls moving through NH and MA later today. HRRR likes it too...but extends the squalls even further south into CT.

sat has what appears to be a meso-beta scale circulation sooner entering NYS from western Ontario -

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

RAP has some pretty good squalls moving through NH and MA later today. HRRR likes it too...but extends the squalls even further south into CT.

Windsexy afternoon and night, lots of peeps on the roads Friday nights, hope there are no major crashes. That one in Syracuse yesterday on 80 was ugly 

9 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Windsexy afternoon and night, lots of peeps on the roads Friday nights, hope there are no major crashes. That one in Syracuse yesterday on 80 was ugly 

All the old school windex requirements are checked off in this event:

1. Unstable low levels (check...we have about 14C between T1 and T5 using old FOUS technique)

2. Good lift (check...LI spike of 12 in 12 hours...or just look for omega in a sounding and we have that too)

3. LL moisture (check...greater than 50% in BL....however, not by much, so this is the one factor that would bother me a little)

4. Good PVA/sfc front convergence (check...PVA isn't amazing, but made up for in excellent LL sfc features...almost a mesolow)

If the boundary layer RH was higher, I'd probably be balls to wall in forecasting Kevin amounts...widespread 1-3 probably. But we're lacking just a bit in that department, so we'll probably be a bit limited. Should be some good squalls, and someone will get lucky (NH looks best if I had to guess), but there could be some gaps where it's just a few snow showers with little or no accumulation.

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

1. Unstable low levels (check...we have about 14C between T1 and T5 using old FOUS technique)

2. Good lift (check...LI spike of 12 in 12 hours...or just look for omega in a sounding and we have that too)

3. LL moisture (check...greater than 50% in BL....however, not by much, so this is the one factor that would bother me a little)

4. Good PVA/sfc front convergence (check...PVA isn't amazing, but made up for in excellent LL sfc features...almost a mesolow)

If the boundary layer RH was higher, I'd probably be balls to wall in forecasting Kevin amounts...widespread 1-3 probably. But we're lacking just a bit in that department, so we'll probably be a bit limited. Should be some good squalls, and someone will get lucky (NH looks best if I had to guess), but there could be some gaps where it's just a few snow showers with little or no accumulation.

That is exactly what I will verify with.

Good luck in the hills.

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Obviously.. but the point was if there's no chances of snow.. let's just get into 60's and 70's everyday like the last week 

Yes, but that isn't going to happen outside of a brief spike from a cutter...so it's kind of pointless to lament over it in the model thread.

There is still a chance of getting a good snow event in the pattern shown, however.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Echoing 40/70, that's been the dtory for wherever I've lived since moving out of Ft. Kent (where we'd get 1-3 squalls/winter) in 1985.  The one exception was Jan. 28, 2010, and since that 30 minutes of fun marked the end of winter, I don't like the precedent.

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Echoing 40/70, that's been the dtory for wherever I've lived since moving out of Ft. Kent (where we'd get 1-3 squalls/winter) in 1985.  The one exception was Jan. 28, 2010, and since that 30 minutes of fun marked the end of winter, I don't like the precedent.

Today is actually the 21 year anniversary of a good windex event on 3/3/96....I remember we had good snow squalls for a couple hours that morning culminating in a rapid temp drop after the final (and most intense) squall came through. It was impressive to see the temp drop in March like that. We ended up with a couple inches on top of the 7" that fell the previous day.

Archived